Cowboys at Chargers | Week 4 Game Day Chatter Thread | 09/29/2013

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I agree, which is why I wanted him gone.

With that said, I don't blame everything on Ryan just like I didn't blame everything on Wade. This defense has been a mediocre bunch for years and years now with the same flaws existing with each and every coach. That is not a coincidence so it didn't surprise me that Wade's defense in Houston kicked ass just like it wouldn't surprise me if Ryan had a decent unit out in New Orleans.

Smarts and a nose for the ball go a long way, and our defense hasn't had much of either for about 7 or 8 years running now.
I'm too lazy to look it up, but Houstons D has been ranked fairly high ( I believe) since the Fat Man has been there.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not a fan of Ryan, but the point still remains....obviously his scheme is not so "complicated" that the Saints couldn't run it.

That's the problem- its not really how the defense was performing here, but its the fact Carny Jerry made the excuse that Ryans schemes were too difficult.
Those pussy players were crying about the same exact thing when Wade was here too.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm too lazy to look it up, but Houstons D has been ranked fairly high ( I believe) since the Fat Man has been there.
The last 2 years they've been solid, but not great. But that first year? Shit......I've never seen a Dallas defense in my adult life play as well as that Texans unit did.

Funny how those players weren't confused like ours were.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm not a fan of Ryan, but the point still remains....obviously his scheme is not so "complicated" that the Saints couldn't run it.

That's the problem- its not really how the defense was performing here, but its the fact Carny Jerry made the excuse that Ryans schemes were too difficult.

So what will the excuse be this year when they give up a shit ton of yards in Kiffins D?

:lol
I agree Jerry is the main reason the franchise is stuck in mud but if we're being honest Rob Ryan's defenses have rarely been considered top notch. And I'm talking about his teams prior to his Cowboy years.

But yeah, Jerry is an anchor that can make a good coach look average and and an average coach look bad.

This team could be so much better if they'd stop dicking around with TEs and CBs every draft and invested in putting some studs on the DL.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Regardless of whatever handicaps he may have had, there was no excuse for Ryan coaching like a pussy on so many occasions. He'd talk a big game, but when the games came around, you knew you'd see 3 man rushes and soft coverages.

The worst example of this was week 2 vs Seattle last year with a rookie Russell Wilson making his 2nd start. Ryan acted like he was facing Tom Brady that day.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'm not a fan of Ryan and I think it's too soon to start propping him, but I did defend the guy by making the case that being confused and not knowing what to do were things this unit suffered from while Wade was here too.

Maybe we haven't had the best coordinators in football, who knows? But I do know that we've also had a team full of chokers and dummies for quite some time, and to place all of the blame in their play at the feet of Wade or Ryan would be a mistake.......especially given the culture that exists in Dallas.
It was the same under Mike Zimmer. He has also been one of the best Def Coordinators in football since he left Dallas

1bigfan13

Staff member
Regardless of whatever handicaps he may have had, there was no excuse for Ryan coaching like a pussy on so many occasions. He'd talk a big game, but when the games came around, you knew you'd see 3 man rushes and soft coverages.

The worst example of this was week 2 vs Seattle last year with a rookie Russell Wilson making his 2nd start. Ryan acted like he was facing Tom Brady that day.
Which is why I say F' McMahon for trying to act as if we made a huge mistake by firing Rob Ryan.

Rob Ryan had a lot of shitty game plans while he was here in Dallas. That game against Seattle is a perfect example. Rookie QB making his second career start and we don't do anything to try to confuse him. I've seen 4th preseason games that had more strategic planning than Rob Ryan's D that day.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Rex Ryan was not great but he got way too much blame. His unit was decimated by injuries last year.

I was not up in arms over his firing but it would have never even occurred to me to fire him based on that performance.
I was up in arms over Ryan being fired. I felt he was a scapegoat and they were pointing fingers at the wrong side of the ball. The offense failed us big time in 2012, whereas the defense held up ok for the most part despite some difficult circumstances.

I didn't and don't think that Ryan is an elite coordinator but I do think he is solid. I was upset about Ryan's firing because it basically meant the offense - the real problem would be allowed to continue business as usual rather than the coaching overhaul at the top that it desperately needs. Not only has that been the case, but they gave the QB a huge contract, kept the coaches intact at the top, and kept the same flawed system and play book.

So here we are again, 4 games in, and the offense - surprise, surprise - is the same stagnant and flawed product it was last year. We should've did to the offense what we did to the defense and that's what frustrated me when we fired Ryan. He was a scapegoat that masked the real problem.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It was the same under Mike Zimmer. He has also been one of the best Def Coordinators in football since he left Dallas
I would like to see how Jerry Jones would do as a GM for another team.

We always hear that he would fire a GM who'd performed as badly as he has, but it wouldn't it be great to see it happen?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I was up in arms over Ryan being fired. I felt he was a scapegoat and they were pointing fingers at the wrong side of the ball. The offense failed us big time in 2012, whereas the defense held up ok for the most part despite some difficult circumstances.

I didn't and don't think that Ryan is an elite coordinator but I do think he is solid. I was upset about Ryan's firing because it basically meant the offense - the real problem would be allowed to continue business as usual rather than the coaching overhaul at the top that it desperately needs. Not only has that been the case, but they gave the QB a huge contract, kept the coaches intact at the top, and kept the same flawed system and play book.

So here we are again, 4 games in, and the offense - surprise, surprise - is the same stagnant and flawed product it was last year. We should've did to the offense what we did to the defense and that's what frustrated me when we fired Ryan. He was a scapegoat that masked the real problem.
This post is on point.

Bravo, sir.

1bigfan13

Staff member

The offense absolutely needed to be overhauled last year.

I think 98% of this board realized we were in for another 7 or 8 win season once we saw the Garrett was coming back with the same cast of characters and that the "big boost" to the offense was a seldomly used back up TE. :lol

What a joke

And why on earth do you give Romo a $100M contract at this stage of his career? Romo is what, 33 years old? Who gives a mistake-prone QB $100M and expects him to play better than he has. I don't mean to knock Romo because he's been pretty steady this year. He certainly hasn't cost us games. But if you're spending $100M on a QB, shouldn't it be on a guy who has proven he can lead his team on deep playoff runs? Shouldn't it be on a guy who has come up big in the clutch and not on one who routinely fails to make the clutch plays late in the season?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The offense absolutely needed to be overhauled last year.

I think 98% of this board realized we were in for another 7 or 8 win season once we saw the Garrett was coming back with the same cast of characters and that the "big boost" to the offense was a seldomly used back up TE. :lol

What a joke

And why on earth do you give Romo a $100M contract at this stage of his career? Romo is what, 33 years old? Who gives a mistake-prone QB $100M and expects him to play better than he has. I don't mean to knock Romo because he's been pretty steady this year. He certainly hasn't cost us games. But if you're spending $100M on a QB, shouldn't it be on a guy who has proven he can lead his team on deep playoff runs? Shouldn't it be on a guy who has come up big in the clutch and not on one who routinely fails to make the clutch plays late in the season?

Romo's yards per attempt is way down this year. I don't know if it is age or technique or reticence for fear of turning the ball over. I doubt it is anything the defenses are doing considering it would have taken opponents years to figure this out. But he's never been this bad. I am a big believer in YPA do it's a concerning trend to me, particularly since it is not unheard of for a QB at his age to start to decline. If he is in a physical decline, what a huge mistake that contract will have been.

Regardless of the reason why, if Romo is going to act like Alex Smith, we need to lean much more heavily on the running game and screen game then we've been will to do so far (except for the Rams game). Yet, call me crazy but I have strong doubts that our offensive leadership would adjust like that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I don't know why his YPA is way down either, but it's bad.

I think that's our biggest issue right now.

data

Forbes #1
NFLN reporter just said that the Chargers playoffs were laughing in the locker room after the game was over.

They were talking about how the Cowboys were playing as if the Chargers were supposed to roll over at the half, being down by 8.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFLN reporter just said that the Chargers playoffs were laughing in the locker room after the game was over.

They were talking about how the Cowboys were playing as if the Chargers were supposed to roll over at the half, being down by 8.
Not surprising. We have heard the same kind of stuff before.

Must be the "brand" and the star on the helmet.

Oh and our arrogant owner who puts undue pressure on the talent that isn't nearly as elite as we all are told.

Top Bottom