Cowboys at Chargers | Week 4 Game Day Chatter Thread | 09/29/2013

Smitty

DCC 4Life
As I and others have already said... That happens quite frequently when new blood comes in. A reinvigorated team, whatever. And like I said, the team all of a sudden getting turnovers didn't mean Pasqualoni was some kind of mad genius defensive coach, did it? And that had a LOT to do with the 2nd half turnaround.
The frequency with which it happens proves that there are many coaches out there who could do it. Wade's collapse, though, is quite a bit more rare, which is why he's one of the worst.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We will probably play better and keep it closer than most expect after yesterday's game. In the end we will still lose though, probably by like 10-14. I'd imagine it will be like the Pats game in 2007 where we're kind of in it the whole way but can never really push over the top and get the lead.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Fucking Claiborne.

I'm ready to bench that guy. Bring back Sterling Moore and just roll with him, Scandrick and Carr for a while. Hurt or not, there has to be consequences for being that bad. And benching a pedigreed player like him should have a positive ripple effect on the rest of the team.
I'm all for that. If he plays this badly all year I hope the Cowboys cut him this offseason rather than allowing him to play out his rookie contract.

Of course that won't happen because that would require Jerry to swallow his pride and admit he made another bad trade.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm all for that. If he plays this badly all year I hope the Cowboys cut him this offseason rather than allowing him to play out his rookie contract.

Of course that won't happen because that would require Jerry to swallow his pride and admit he made another bad trade.
I'm as pissed at Claiborne as anybody but he's on a relatively cheap contract right now so you might as well just keep him and gamble that something clicks, just don't re-sign him in 2 years when the deal is up.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The frequency with which it happens proves that there are many coaches out there who could do it. Wade's collapse, though, is quite a bit more rare, which is why he's one of the worst.
If Wade is one of the worst, what does that make Garrett?

Wade has more skins on the wall than Garrett.

Wade has led teams to the playoffs, won division titles, and is often regarded as one of the better defensive coaches in the game.

Garrett has none of that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As an aside, what is the point of winning this division, really?

8-8 might really win it and for what, so we can play the Niners when they are the inevitable 5 seed and the winner of this POS division is the inevitable 4 seed?

I can't root against this team but this season is pretty much pointless, especially if a bumbling 8-8 season buys Garrett another year.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Like Dungy said, he brought the Tampa 2 from TB to Indy. Peyton practiced against that defense weekly most of his career. He's going to have a field day this week against the Cowboys version of this defense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's your excuse, but i wouldn't call it a different argument and it is certainly not nonsense. Because I would say there's no functional difference between the two. Neither are good enough and both need to be replaced.
Then make that argument instead of pretending like the logical extension of my "keep Garrett until there is an upgrade" argument extends to Wade. It doesn't and I have explained why it doesn't. Saying "Smittys argument could substitute Wade's name for Garrett's" is a misrepresentation of what I'm saying.

And it's more than a little disingenuous.

We you know what you have isn't good enough, you go try to find something better. You don't just wait for it to fall into your lap.
Well if Jerry can conduct that search in private while Garrett remains under contract then fine. But if we fire him the day after the regular season ends and then go looking for who might be available, without knowing who might even be interested, it will end up like Wade or Campo or Gailey all over again.

Jerry has done well when he had an idea who he wanted in advance. He came to the table with Jimmy. And he saw Parcells and went and got him. That's the approach to take in this situation.

Otherwise we'll get another situation where the finalists are Wade and Norv and that is even worse.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm as pissed at Claiborne as anybody but he's on a relatively cheap contract right now so you might as well just keep him and gamble that something clicks, just don't re-sign him in 2 years when the deal is up.
Contract is one thing. The fact we look to have squandered 1st and 2nd round picks on this dud is huge. Just another year of coming up empty. Can't afford to miss on top picks, especially not the top two in one draft.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Wade is one of the worst, what does that make Garrett?

Wade has more skins on the wall than Garrett.

Wade has led teams to the playoffs, won division titles, and is often regarded as one of the better defensive coaches in the game.

Garrett has none of that.
Wade has done nothing but lead teams to the shitter. I don't respect his playoff win or his 13-3 record. It was the product of the work of others and his tenure resulted in collapse in under 4 years.

As a coordinator, that's a different story and not the same argument.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Feh. I'd rather not carry dead weight around, evn if it is cheap.

We can find young, cheap street FAs who would offer us better play at CB than Claiborne.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Contract is one thing. The fact we look to have squandered 1st and 2nd round picks on this dud is huge. Just another year of coming up empty. Can't afford to miss on top picks, especially not the top two in one draft.
Yea definitely, I never would've made the trade myself although I definitely thought Claiborne was an elite prospect by pretty much all accounts. I don't think he is as bad as he's playing now but due to a number of reasons it's just not happening for him and it may never happen for him here.

Plus, let's not forget, if we cut him, we all know damn good and well that we're going to waste another 1st on a CB very soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
How bad would we have to be for Jerry to draft a QB in the 1st this year?

5-11? 6-10? 7-9?

Is there any scenario he would draft a QB in the 1st?

This idiot is so simple minded that he basically drafts with just the next year in mind, he knows he's getting older and I'm sure he doesn't want to "start over" with a new QB anytime too soon. Of course he may look at the success of a team like Seattle and try to mimic it. This looks to be one of the stronger QB classes in a few years so I'm just curious how bad we'd have to be.

Of course if Manziel is available at our pick we will take him even if we just won the Super Bowl but that goes without saying.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Wade has done nothing but lead teams to the shitter. I don't respect his playoff win or his 13-3 record. It was the product of the work of others and his tenure resulted in collapse in under 4 years.

As a coordinator, that's a different story and not the same argument.
My point is as much as you don't want to admit it, Garrett is no different than Wade.

Also, Wade is in fact the better football coach period. You just don't like Wade.

I don't hold Garrett in high regard, but if he won division titles and playoff games I'd give him credit for those things.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Again. I don't give a shit about Wade Fucking Phillips. Ancient History.

I'm talking about that pile of moldy dogshit with red hair that is currently wearing a headset for no apparent reason.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My point is as much as you don't want to admit it, Garrett is no different than Wade.

Also, Wade is in fact the better football coach period. You just don't like Wade.

I don't hold Garrett in high regard, but if he won division titles and playoff games I'd give him credit for those things.
You can feel free to consider Wade an average head coach but I never will. I thought he was one of the worst coaches in the league when he was hired due to the fact that he left every team he ever he head coached worse than when he arrived and it proved true again here.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Again. I don't give a shit about Wade Fucking Phillips. Ancient History.

I'm talking about that pile of moldy dogshit with red hair that is currently wearing a headset for no apparent reason.
He's 8-8. That's average.

And better than what Phillips did when he collapsed, which was the inevitable outcome with Phillips. What's the argument here?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Still with Wade Phillips.

And I find it completely astounding that while you admit to Garrett being average, as you just did here, you still spin him up like he's some kind of competent HC. He has done NOTHING to warrant anybody to defend him like this.

The only person to do it as feverishly as you do is....Who? That should tell you something.

Top Bottom