Cowboys at Chargers | Week 4 Game Day Chatter Thread | 09/29/2013

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So now we are all Andy Reid fans. Ha.

I don't speak for anyone else but I live in Philly and I've always been a Reid fan. His teams are always prepared and he knows how to get the most out of his offensive talent.

The second the Eagles fired him I would have backed up a Brinks truck to bring him here. We'd be 4-0 under Reid right now.

Anyway, I brought up Reid to show the folly of your implication that players completely dictate a coach's success. Reid took over a 2 win team and has them rolling without even significantly changing Personnel other than bringing in a mediocre QB.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
The team lacked emotion...you can't play that way and expect to win. The lack of DL depth has been the biggest issue in both losses IMO as well.

Carl

RIP Brother
So who do we hire when we fire Garrett?

Lovie Smith?

Seems like a Jerry move.
Would you be happy with Smith. I wouldn't. If Garrett goes, I think Jones goes after Gruden. Personally, I would stick with Garrett. But thats just me.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The team lacked emotion...you can't play that way and expect to win. The lack of DL depth has been the biggest issue in both losses IMO as well.
Absolutely. SD was clearly fired up from the very beginning, and the Cowboys never matched it- hell the bastards let SD drive right down the field after the INT return TD. Pathetic.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I don't speak for anyone else but I live in Philly and I've always been a Reid fan. His teams are always prepared and he knows how to get the most out of his offensive talent.

The second the Eagles fired him I would have backed up a Brinksmanship truck to bring him here. We'd be 4-0 under Reid right now.
We tend to hero worship these guys from other teams. Reid consistently outsmarts Garrett but he lost plenty of games as HC of the Eagles - with a strong front office. There is a reason they finally fired him. There is no savior. Until we draft consistently better and jettison our GM, we'll be an average team.

Carl

RIP Brother

The second the Eagles fired him I would have backed up a Brinksmanship truck to bring him here. We'd be 4-0 under Reid right now.
First my sympathies for living in a dump, Second, every Eagles fan I know couldn't wait to get rid of him. Horrible ingame coaching, negligible use of time outs, challenges and the worst clock management in the NFL. But apparently, he looks good in Red.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Our next coach has to have emotion...whether that is Holmgren or Gruden...I don't know. I do have a boner for Sumlin.

junk

Not So New Member
I don't have blind devotion, but I am ready to see how the season develops. I just do not think there are many coaches who are difference makers and I am willing to give Garrett until the end of this season. I am still on board. I think he is really trying to build something, which is not easy in Dallas.
And the other coaches weren't trying to build something? I do find it amusing that people think Garrett is trying all kinds of new things. He does the same things other coaches have done. It just usually takes him a little longer because he is so green. RKG? That isn't even new to Dallas. Parcells brought that in.

It is going to be more than a coach to get over the hump. You almost need a truly great coach just to compensate for the sideshow atmosphere Jerry creates.

So who do we hire when we fire Garrett?

Lovie Smith?

Seems like a Jerry move.
Mike Zimmer. Not that I like the move, but that is a Jerry move for sure.

Carl

RIP Brother
And the other coaches weren't trying to build something? I do find it amusing that people think Garrett is trying all kinds of new things. He does the same things other coaches have done. It just usually takes him a little longer because he is so green. RKG? That isn't even new to Dallas. Parcells brought that in.

It is going to be more than a coach to get over the hump. You almost need a truly great coach just to compensate for the sideshow atmosphere Jerry creates.

So, your solution is Mike Zimmer?

Genghis Khan

We tend to hero worship these guys from other teams. Reid consistently outsmarts Garrett but he lost plenty of games as HC of the Eagles - with a strong front office. There is a reason they finally fired him. There is no savior. Until we draft consistently better and jettison our GM, we'll be an average team.
Living in Philly, I know full well why they fired him. He was there 14 years and they got sick of him.

I will be there first to admit his hubris got him in trouble. Hiring an offensive line coach to be DC for instance. Fighting for control of personnel decisions. Hitching his wagon to a coach killer like Mike Vick.

But there's also no doubt that Reid's team are well coached and he knows how to put his team in position to win.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He didnt say that was his solution. Just that that would seem like Jerrys solution.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We have talent...that is not an excuse.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Living in Philly, I know full well why they fired him. He was there 14 years and they got sick of him.

I will be there first to admit his hubris got him in trouble. Hiring an offensive line coach to be DC for instance.
Probably one of the most retarded things I've seen in all my years of watching football.

junk

Not So New Member
junk said:
Obviously not if you read what I actually wrote.

My solution, having the owner step aside and hire competent football people, isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Genghis Khan

First my sympathies for living in a dump, Second, every Eagles fan I know couldn't wait to get rid of him. Horrible ingame coaching, negligible use of time outs, challenges and the worst clock management in the NFL. But apparently, he looks good in Red.
Well I don't live IN Philly, I'd never live in that cesspool of a city. I live in a very nice suburb.

Eagles fans are idiots. On everything. I listened to them all week talk about how they could beat Denver. They are morons that didn't know what they had. I heard every one of those complaints and laughed at them. He's not perfect but his pluses far outweigh his minuses.

You'd think after living through Rich Kotite and Ray Rhoads they would know what true bad coaching looks like. But no. They are idiots. Hell those same idiots literally worshipped Buddy Ryan, who couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag as a HC.

Top Bottom