mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Seems like it needs more time on the smoker before putting it in the vacuum bag.
I agree. I'd say 5 hours vs 3 and I'd take it easy on trimming that cap... he really butchered that thing.

But I'm anxious to see how it turns out... I'll probably start smoking it tomorrow afternoon and sous-vide it through Sunday night.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I agree. I'd say 5 hours vs 3 and I'd take it easy on trimming that cap... he really butchered that thing.

But I'm anxious to see how it turns out... I'll probably start smoking it tomorrow afternoon and sous-vide it through Sunday night.
What kind of sousvide set up have you got? I'm intrigued

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
14lb (after trimming) brisket went on the smoker (fat cap up) at 10am on Friday, wrapped at 170 and stayed there until 10pm (204 degrees). Went to take it out and put it in the vacuum sealer but it began falling apart as I moved it. Overdone like a MF'er.

Anyhow, got it in the bag and in the sous-vide for another 12 hours until Saturday morning. When I took it out it was even more brittle, like pulled brisket. The flavor was great but the texture was for shit.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
14lb (after trimming) brisket went on the smoker (fat cap up) at 10am on Friday, wrapped at 170 and stayed there until 10pm (204 degrees). Went to take it out and put it in the vacuum sealer but it began falling apart as I moved it. Overdone like a MF'er.

Anyhow, got it in the bag and in the sous-vide for another 12 hours until Saturday morning. When I took it out it was even more brittle, like pulled brisket. The flavor was great but the texture was for shit.
How hot will a sous vide get?

I wonder if you could have taken the brisket off at 170, vacuum sealed it, then throw in the sous vide to get to 190 - 195.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
You can program the sous-vide to stay at whatever temp you want. I put it in the sous-vide at 130 in lieu of a warmer that would have done the same thing.

I thought about the same thing though, using the sous-vide to get to 200-202 maybe and then bringing it down to 130 to rest. Might do that the next time.

We always sous-vide our steaks now at 135 for about 6 hours in that Chris's seasoning and compound butter and then sear on the grill. Delicioso.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You can program the sous-vide to stay at whatever temp you want. I put it in the sous-vide at 130 in lieu of a warmer that would have done the same thing.

I thought about the same thing though, using the sous-vide to get to 200-202 maybe and then bringing it down to 130 to rest. Might do that the next time.

We always sous-vide our steaks now at 135 for about 6 hours in that Chris's seasoning and compound butter and then sear on the grill. Delicioso.
I love that stuff. I use it on everything. If you're talking about Uncle Chris's seasoning I mean.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Will the sous vide get that hot though?

That's getting close to boiling...might compromise the strength of the 12L box?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Well now you made me look up what the max temp is... 197.

There goes my idea of getting it to 200+ in the bag.
Do you usually like your brisket to be fall apart tender?

I prefer my pork butts that way, but I usually pull a brisket around 190 - 195 so it's sliceable.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
No I don't want it to be falling apart... I want it to be sliceable. That's why I was pretty mad at myself for overcooking it to the point it was crumbling as I was trying to bag it.

Top Bottom