BBQ Thread

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Stubbs is definitely the best (not even to mention that Stubbs got his start here in Lubbock), but I will also use Sweet Baby Ray's in a pinch.
That's my favorite combo as well.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Often I use Sweet Baby Ray's and add some juice. Little mustard, little wing sauce, little pepper...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I like Stubbs on pork and baby Rays on beef. I sometimes switch but not often.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
One thing I do not use BBQ sauce on is chicken.

Cotton

Staff member
I typically don't either. It depends on who I am having over.
If they want BBQ sauce on it they can add it after I cook it. It ain't gettin' sauce on it while it's in my hands, bucko.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If they want BBQ sauce on it they can add it after I cook it. It ain't gettin' sauce on it while it's in my hands, bucko.
You seem like a wonderful host. I'll be sure to bring my own stuff over to the family get together next time.

Cotton

Staff member

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Definitely not. Same with ribs for me. Dip them afterward if you want, but I only put dry rub on them while they cook.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
My only beef with Stubbs (HAHA PUN INTENDED HAHA) is that it's ridiculously expensive. Sweet Baby Rays is the only decent, cheaper alternative that I like.

Cotton

Staff member
Definitely not. Same with ribs for me. Dip them afterward if you want, but I only put dry rub on them while they cook.
Yeah, I don't put BBQ sauce on my ribs either.

Cotton

Staff member
Now that I think about it, I don't put BBQ sauce on anything I grill or smoke.
:lol

I don't either now that you mention it. I do use BBQ sauce after the fact sometimes, but never while I cook. It's either dry rubs or marinades.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep. That's the ticket. Burned sauce doesn't help the flavor.

hstour

Brand New Member
Yep. That's the ticket. Burned sauce doesn't help the flavor.
Burn sauce means you put it on too early. Shouldn't be put on before the last 20 minutes or just long enough for the sugars in it to caramelize.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Burn sauce means you put it on too early. Shouldn't be put on before the last 20 minutes or just long enough for the sugars in it to caramelize.
My personal preference is to cook the meat without sauce. At most an occasional basting with butter. Sauce can be added as needed when you eat it. That's my choice but to each his own.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Just bought the Brinkmann Smoke n' Grill vertical smoker the other day. Threw a ham on there yesterday and it turned out pretty good but I had to finish it in the oven because I couldn't keep the temp up.

Any pointers?

"Yeah! Buy a gas grill!"

Shut up Iamtdg.

Cotton

Staff member
Just bought the Brinkmann Smoke n' Grill vertical smoker the other day. Threw a ham on there yesterday and it turned out pretty good but I had to finish it in the oven because I couldn't keep the temp up.

Any pointers?

"Yeah! Buy a gas grill!"

Shut up Iamtdg.
I would never advise someone to buy a gas grill. That would be like a Christian advising someone to worship a snake.

Try opening up your vents more.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
There's no vents on it. The bottom is open under the charcoal bowl and the lid fits in with about 1/8" all the way around to vent the top. Supposedly that keeps it at 240-260 degrees. I bought a thermometer and put it inside and it read 225-230 almost the entire time.

That's not the way it works on BBQ Pitmasters.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
225 is a pretty good temp for smoking. But it is funny you don't have any vent to control air flow and temp.

Top Bottom