BBQ Thread

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
I agree... but this is from the manual: "The dome lid is not designed to fit snugly in the smoker body. The gap between the dome lid and smoker body allows proper air draft and circulation."

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yep, 225 is ideal...but if it was a big ham it might take more than 12 hours to get the the correct temp.

Not sure what you were shooting for, but I've never smoked a ham.

I usually take butts off once they hit 180, then wrap them in foil, baste once more, and put it back on til it hits 195.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
It was a 9lb. ham and I didn't get the internal temp above 145 until I put it in the oven after 3 1/2 hours.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It was a 9lb. ham and I didn't get the internal temp above 145 until I put it in the oven after 3 1/2 hours.
225 is a good temp for hams to smoke at. And, 3 1/2 hours isn't nearly long enough for a 9 lb. ham. You're looking at around 6 hours. Cook it for 3 hours naked (the ham, not you, Big Irv) and then pull it off, baste it, wrap it in tin foil and put it back on for 2-3 hours to finish it up. This will keep it from drying out.

dallen

Senior Tech
Anyone have a good grilled tofu recipe?

hstour

Brand New Member
Anyone have a good grilled tofu recipe?
Coat the tofu in plenty of soy sauce. Wrap it in banana leaves. Pack it all in a backpack, put the backpack on and dive into Kīlauea.

That's the luau way to do it......

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
More of a seitan man?
I don't even know what that is, so I'm just gonna go ahead and move forward with being offended.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Coat the tofu in plenty of soy sauce. Wrap it in banana leaves. Pack it all in a backpack, put the backpack on and dive into Kīlauea.

That's the luau way to do it......
I hope Kilauea is a volcano so you don't have to eat that shit.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Well I gave up on the Brinkmann and bought a Char-grill smoker:

Going to christen it with some ribs tonight.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Any of you guys ever smoke lobster? I'm supposed to smoke 10 jumbo tails this weekend.

:skurred

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Any of you guys ever smoke lobster? I'm supposed to smoke 10 jumbo tails this weekend.

:skurred
I've grilled lobster tails before but never smoked them..imagine the biggest hurdle is they'll overcook easily and get rubbery

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I've grilled lobster tails before but never smoked them..imagine the biggest hurdle is they'll overcook easily and get rubbery
Every thing I can find says to smoke them to an internal temp of 135-140. Smoke at 225 for appx 1 hr, maybe a little more for bigger tails. And use a light fruit wood.

Think I'm gonna try a single one with apple wood on Friday just to see how it turns out.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Every thing I can find says to smoke them to an internal temp of 135-140. Smoke at 225 for appx 1 hr, maybe a little more for bigger tails. And use a light fruit wood.

Think I'm gonna try a single one with apple wood on Friday just to see how it turns out.
If you don't usually I'd probably use a water pan too just as extra insurance against drying out

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I do. And I'd also be basting with a melted butter and garlic/spice sauce.
Sounds good, let us know how it turns out

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I mentioned in the test thread that I recently got a new job. Starting the 19th. Moving to a new apartment the weekend before.

My old place had no outdoor space. In this one, I have an outdoor patio/balcony. It's small, but it's enough room for a grill. I'm on the third floor so I'm a little ways up in the air.

Can you guys make a grill suggestion? Should I do charcoal or propane? What are the pluses and minuses for a small outdoor area like that?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I mentioned in the test thread that I recently got a new job. Starting the 19th. Moving to a new apartment the weekend before.

My old place had no outdoor space. In this one, I have an outdoor patio/balcony. It's small, but it's enough room for a grill. I'm on the third floor so I'm a little ways up in the air.

Can you guys make a grill suggestion? Should I do charcoal or propane? What are the pluses and minuses for a small outdoor area like that?
For charcoal I'd go with Weber Smoky Mountain or a Kamado if you dont mind spending abit more, they are both really great grill/smokers that can be used a variety of ways

Top Bottom