Abortion... yeah or nah?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If we are using that broad of a brush. In the same sentence, you are requesting that they use their judgment and telling them that they shouldn't use their judgment.
If someone were to break into my home I don't know why they are there. If they are there just to steal my tv, I'm not shooting them. I will beat the ever-loving snot out of them though. Without stated intent, if you break into my house I will assume the worst and respond with lethal intent. Which is my right under the law. This would happen regardless of my access to firearms. I have bladed weapons and other means of protecting myself.

I always found this argument disingenuous. There is always some choice involved with a pregnancy. If rape was involved some form of contraception is available. So, the old tired, abortion should be allowed for rape victims argument is silly. There are choices that prevent the unwanted pregnancy. There is and always has been options for orphaned children. I would rather fund those than abortion clinics.
I don't want to get into saying there are "choices," for people who are raped, but let's leave it at, pregnancies via rape are an extreme, extreme minority.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
It'll be interesting to see if yet another woke sports league seeks to punish Texas, ala Atlanta.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It'll be interesting to see if yet another woke sports league seeks to punish Texas, ala Atlanta.
Let them. We don't have a dependence on other states. We have oil. We have agriculture. We have cotton. We don't have a need to import much from other states.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I don't want to get into saying there are "choices," for people who are raped, but let's leave it at, pregnancies via rape are an extreme, extreme minority.
I would say that a person who recognizes that they have been raped and obviously would not want the child of that person can take actions to prevent pregnancy from being an option. I understand that opens up a whole other discussion but it is still an option that doesn’t involve destroying a created being.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I mean that's difficult. My sympathy goes out to the victim of rape. But does that make me feel different about the baby in her belly? Do they deserve to die because their father did something horrific. And frankly if you're raped you'd think the first thing you would do is take the morning after pill. But I'm not in that position so I guess I don't really know. Just not sure I'm on board that a child should be treated differently because they are a product of rape.

Medical conditions I get. If the fetus isn't viable or is a sever danger to the mothers health, than I can understand the need for an abortion.

Also isn't 6 weeks closer to your second missed period than your first? I'm no clock expert.

This is going to sound harsh in 2021 but bad shit happens. Nobody else needs to suffer because a woman first suffered.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
And who wants a shit ton of wards of the state?

Nobody. It is prime level hypocrisy.

If you are pro-life, fine.

But to be that and again the expense of programs to deal with the needs of the unwanted children is just horseshit.
That argument is lame. It is almost impossible to adopt a baby in this age. Not to mention, it is incredibly expensive. Much like immigration, society would adapt. The church should be leading the way with adoption which would solve just about all of these issues. But people are assholes, so...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Let the states decide. That could possibly save a lot of lives.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Let the states decide. That could possibly save a lot of lives.
The Left won't settle for that. Abortion and gay marriage must be legal everywhere. Gun rights? That's a different matter.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Ok, and what is your rationale for drawing the line at viability? So if a baby can survive on it's own, it is entitled to trump the "my body my choice," theory of abortion regulation, but if it's a week before that, it has no such rights?

How would you address the discrepancy that some babies are more viable than others at, say, 24 weeks? How would you address the ever-improving field of post-natal care that by the year gets better at keeping premature babies alive? Is this a sliding scale and the legislation gets changed every time there is a development?

You catch my drift?

Maybe that answers your question of "but why 6 weeks?"

How about when someone develops a perfect artificial womb and any embryo can be viably transplanted and brought to term?
Then the problem is solved, transplant it and the women can go on with their lives as well as possible considering. But who'll care for that baby?
Most of what I've read sets viability around 24 weeks, why viability? Because I guess that's when I would say your talking about an individual entity. Before it's potentially a person if...
I could see halfway there as the point of no return, but that still puts us at 12 weeks, double what the new law set.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Then the problem is solved, transplant it and the women can go on with their lives as well as possible considering. But who'll care for that baby?
Most of what I've read sets viability around 24 weeks, why viability? Because I guess that's when I would say your talking about an individual entity. Before it's potentially a person if...
I could see halfway there as the point of no return, but that still puts us at 12 weeks, double what the new law set.
Well, what about the concept of child support? If a father doesn’t want a child but the woman does, the man can’t avoid his obligation to support the child even if he wants to abort.

Similarly, if viability is the stage at which a fetus gains the right to life, and we somewhat arbitrarily define that as the time 20 weeks for now, less when technologies allow viability earlier, isn’t the same argument applicable that the woman (and man) should be forced to support the child?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Government controls your body all the time (banning prostitution, banning public nudity, banning hard drugs, determining how much you can legally drink, etc). Why should abortion be any different?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This woman thinks the cops shouldn't be investigating the murder of a newborn.

promurderfeminist.png

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom