4th Round Pick: Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin

p1_

DCC 4Life
I expect more from McKeon than Ferguson.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, don't expect a whole lot here. It took Schultz himself at least a year to get going
Yeah I mean I think Ferguson is a better blocker than Schultz was coming out. Just because they have similar physical explosiveness doesn't really mean their adjustment periods are the same. Those are unique circumstances to each player.

But at the same time TE's usually take a year to adjust in the NFL. Very few bust on to the scene as rookies and put up monster numbers. It's just a hard position for the transition. I think Ferguson will do very good as a second TE for now and we will see how the learning curve goes. Much like Schultz though, Ferguson wouldn't prevent me from getting a dynamic TE in the future. But I think he could have a real future here as a move the chains type of guy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
But Schultz was incredibly ordinary until this year.

I just wish if we had to have a TE we'd have traded up for a guy like Kolar who could actually be a weapon, especially with our WR situation iffy. And it wouldn't have taken much.
He was more or less as good in year 3 as last year but Prescott missed most of the year. Who knows how he would've done in year 2 since Witten came back and ate up all the snaps.

So I'd Ferguson got to somewhere near Schultz's level by year 2, or 3 at the latest, which I think is somewhat plausible, that's a huge win.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was more or less as good in year 3 as last year but Prescott missed most of the year. Who knows how he would've done in year 2 since Witten came back and ate up all the snaps.

So I'd Ferguson got to somewhere near Schultz's level by year 2, or 3 at the latest, which I think is somewhat plausible, that's a huge win.
Yeah a lot of it was just circumstances. Much like you mentioned, if Dak was playing in 2020 Schultz probably puts up bigger numbers. And if Witten wasn't there blocking his opportunities in year 2 of his career Schultz may have produced even earlier in his career. Ferguson is obviously dealing with a different depth chart and situation. He may very well have significant opportunities as a rookie and certainly by his second year unless the Cowboys change their mind on giving Schultz a long term deal.

jazzcat22

Not So New Member
Seen where Ferguson just signed his contract. He was the last of the draft picks to do so I believe.
I wonder if the team caved because Schultz decided not to attend the next round of OTA's. Because of lack of progress in a long term contract negotiations.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Seen where Ferguson just signed his contract. He was the last of the draft picks to do so I believe.
I wonder if the team caved because Schultz decided not to attend the next round of OTA's. Because of lack of progress in a long term contract negotiations.
Signing this pick has no relation to Schulz.

Top Bottom