4th Round Pick: Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were going to draft a TE no matter what there. That is kind of drafting for need…not a fan.
Absolutely they are. Which is fine if all of your grades are pretty close. No idea if that's the case though. Would be awfully convenient.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Absolutely. They’ve been lucky-ish with a couple but there are no real values. All have been reaches except Tolbert maybe.

They telegraphed this a mile away because their goal was to get cheaper and not better. Fuck this team and it’s management.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Absolutely. They’ve been lucky-ish with a couple but there are no real values. All have been reaches except Tolbert maybe.

They telegraphed this a mile away because their goal was to get cheaper and not better. Fuck this team and it’s management.
I blame @Iamtdg for not sacrificing our latest retard to the draft Gods

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm not convinced that Ferguson wasn't rated above Kolar on their board. I would have taken Kolar, too. Kolar is the better threat in the passing game, but Ferguson is a pretty good receiver, and is waaay better blocking than Kolar is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not convinced that Ferguson wasn't rated above Kolar on their board. I would have taken Kolar, too. Kolar is the better threat in the passing game, but Ferguson is a pretty good receiver, and is waaay better blocking than Kolar is.
Yeah, I'm sure they value the blocking ability a bit more than we do when it comes to a second TE. As fans we all want the pass catching TEs. And he can do that too, but we are running 2 TEs because we want to run the ball. That was the whole point of Smith and now Ferguson.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ferguson is fine but I just hate how they seem to be locking in on positions and ignoring the value on the board.

He's an average late 4th/early 5th type, about a carbon copy of Schultz as a prospect, probably a solid TE2, but it really annoys me that we missed out on a potential legit weapon like Kolar by 1 pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ferguson is fine but I just hate how they seem to be locking in on positions and ignoring the value on the board.

He's an average late 4th/early 5th type, about a carbon copy of Schultz as a prospect, probably a solid TE2, but it really annoys me that we missed out on a potential legit weapon like Kolar by 1 pick.
Yeah they claim they weren't drafting for need but then Jerry mentions 4 TEs they were eyeing in the fourth round as a group with similar grades. You have to think they was Otton, Kolar and Ferguson for sure. Which is fine but it's sort of like what about the other 21 positions in the NFL. Did you just ignore the grades on all those positions? I get if you have a bunch of similar fourth round grades but you can't tell me when the round started you didn't have any third round grades left for example.

Maybe it wasn't at TE. But shouldn't you have been concerned about any other position that was maybe great value? Nope, we were just looking at the TE group. That's my biggest problem. The Cowboys just didn't have their eyes open to value at all. They determined certain players they liked and tried to figure out best where they could take those players.

I think a lot of teams do this. And it's somewhat why a player unexpectedly falls. Teams are so locked into a position that they fail to see the DT or someone else falling who is great value.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They went into that round dead set on a TE. Tampa Bay taking Otton was a shocker, then Kollar right under our noses. In previous drafts, Jerry would have called him the Last of the Mohicans.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They went into that round dead set on a TE. Tampa Bay taking Otton was a shocker, then Kollar right under our noses. In previous drafts, Jerry would have called him the Last of the Mohicans.
I mean we were taking a TE regardless. It was going to be Otton, Kolar or Ferguson. I wonder who the fourth guy was that he mentioned. Bellinger maybe? Yep had to be, he was the other TE taken in the fourth before us. Or it could have been a TE taken later. Just depends where Ferguson fell in our TE stack.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mean we were taking a TE regardless. It was going to be Otton, Kolar or Ferguson. I wonder who the fourth guy was that he mentioned. Bellinger maybe? Yep had to be, he was the other TE taken in the fourth before us. Or it could have been a TE taken later. Just depends where Ferguson fell in our TE stack.
He was probably last but we are going to pretend he was first. The attention they paid to Ruckert, Woods, Kolar and Otton was much greater.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was probably last but we are going to pretend he was first. The attention they paid to Ruckert, Woods, Kolar and Otton was much greater.
Yep, would be my guess too. And we weren't taking any of them until the fourth.

This is probably why we don't trade around much. Jerry has no idea what to do with the extra picks or loss of a pick. It's why you end up with Wright in the third round last year. Got an extra third and suddenly no position or player is prepared on our board for that pick.

It's a dumb way of doing things.

Top Bottom