4th Round Pick: Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ferguson: 6-5, 250, 32 5/8 arms, 9.5 hands
Schultz: 6-6, 244, 31 1/4 arms, 9.5 hands

Ferguson: 4.81 40, 15 bench, 31.5 vertical, 118 broad, 7.03 3 cone, 4.48 short shuttle
Schultz: 4.75 40, 15 bench, 32 vertical, 120 broad, 7.0 3 cone, 4.40 short shuttle

Taken about 10 picks apart.

It's wild how much of a carbon copy Ferguson is of Schultz from a measurables perspective. It's doubtful he becomes quite as productive but not impossible considering much of Schultz's appeal is simply being dependable and making himself available to Dak in short/intermediate zones.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ferguson: 6-5, 250, 32 5/8 arms, 9.5 hands
Schultz: 6-6, 244, 31 1/4 arms, 9.5 hands

Ferguson: 4.81 40, 15 bench, 31.5 vertical, 118 broad, 7.03 3 cone, 4.48 short shuttle
Schultz: 4.75 40, 15 bench, 32 vertical, 120 broad, 7.0 3 cone, 4.40 short shuttle

Taken about 10 picks apart.

It's wild how much of a carbon copy Ferguson is of Schultz from a measurables perspective. It's doubtful he becomes quite as productive but not impossible considering much of Schultz's appeal is simply being dependable and making himself available to Dak in short/intermediate zones.
Yeah Schultz was productive last year but I also think some of that was a product of how defenses played us. 2 deep shell sort of lends itself to that underneath stuff for Schultz to make some easy catches. I think Schultz is a good reliable TE but if you toss him on another team in a different situation I'm not sure he is so productive.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah Schultz was productive last year but I also think some of that was a product of how defenses played us. 2 deep shell sort of lends itself to that underneath stuff for Schultz to make some easy catches. I think Schultz is a good reliable TE but if you toss him on another team in a different situation I'm not sure he is so productive.
Yeah, he's basically a normal TE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, he's basically a normal TE.
Yeah, absolutely nothing wrong with Schultz. I just wouldn't pay him a big contract. I'd reserve those deals for the Kelce's of this world who are real weapons. To me you're either at that elite NFL TE level or your not. Schultz is in the tier right below it. Which is great but I'm reserving the paydays at TE for the guys who are real weapons in the passing game.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wonder if Schultz is even in our long term plans. If he was, I'd think they'd be moving a lot quicker to resign him to get him off the tag. Or has that deadline already passed? I honestly don't know.
I think the whole point of drafting a TE was so they could let Schultz go next year. Next level cap management and all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the whole point of drafting a TE was so they could let Schultz go next year. Next level cap management and all.
Possibly but I also think part of it is the need for a #2 TE this year with Jarwin's departure. I think Ferguson gives you more in the 2 TE set than Jarwin did. He is a better block for sure in my opinion.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If that's the case TE better be high on the list of needs next year. Michael Mayer would be straight money in the 1st.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As of right now, maybe. Schmitty was saying the same thing about Sam Howell at this time last year. :art
Yea but Howell was always kind of overrated because that's what happens with QB's, unless Mayer gets hurt or runs like a 4.7 I'm pretty sure he'll be considered up there with guys like Hockenson.

Pitts is probably the best receiving TE to come out in 10-15 years, and Mayer isn't on that level, but he's definitely in the mold of a guy like Hockenson.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that's the case TE better be high on the list of needs next year. Michael Mayer would be straight money in the 1st.
Yeah I mean depends how Ferguson develops but the good news is he at minimum buys us some time. At some point it would be nice to have a real weapon at TE as opposed to just a good all around player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As of right now, maybe. Schmitty was saying the same thing about Sam Howell at this time last year. :art
Look at Wydermyer in this draft. Numb nuts had him in the first round at some point.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Teams over-indexing on Senior Bowl performances and practices in these evaluations. Starting to reek of laziness/convenience.
I don't think that's the case. This was just a unique year for the Senior Bowl with the abundance of Seniors in this draft. Largely created by covid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
More like Turd Ferguson,dididothatright#?
Since he is my least favorite draft pick, yes. That shall be his DCC name.

This way, you all that turn into fan boys when he makes a play can post "TURD!" and rub it in my face.

It would be like Shrimp Beasley all over again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since he is my least favorite draft pick, yes. That shall be his DCC name.

This way, you all that turn into fan boys when he makes a play can post "TURD!" and rub it in my face.

It would be like Shrimp Beasley all over again.
I hope it's just like Beasley. He was pretty good here.

Top Bottom