4th Round Pick: Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Since he is my least favorite draft pick, yes. That shall be his DCC name.
That's so anti-climactic, tho. He might be my least favorite, draft pick too. Either him or DaRon Bland. But that doesn't automatically make them bad picks.

Take a stand. Declare him a failure.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's so anti-climactic, tho. He might be my least favorite, draft pick too. Either him or DaRon Bland. But that doesn't automatically make them bad picks.

Take a stand. Declare him a failure.
If failure is no second contract, I am predicting failure.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fun fact, we drafted the leading receiver from the Senior Bowl game. And no it wasn't Tolbert although he had a couple of grabs. I think people may be sleeping a bit on Ferguson.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fun fact, we drafted the leading receiver from the Senior Bowl game. And no it wasn't Tolbert although he had a couple of grabs. I think people may be sleeping a bit on Ferguson.
Even though he is probably my least favorite, if he is a solid blocker and can pull a Jarwin every now and then, it could work out.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Even though he is probably my least favorite, if he is a solid blocker and can pull a Jarwin every now and then, it could work out.
I think he won't stretch the seam like Jarwin or Isaiah Likely, the TE the Ravens drafted later in the 4th.

But I do think Ferguson will be better all-around, underneath patterns, and at wheel routes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he won't stretch the seam like Jarwin or Isaiah Likely, the TE the Ravens drafted later in the 4th.

But I do think Ferguson will be better all-around, underneath patterns, and at wheel routes.
I don't think we wanted what equates to a big slot, which is what Jarwin was and Likely is.

Jarwin really was a dud. He failed as a blocker. He blew one in the Bucs game that was pretty bad.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't think we wanted what equates to a big slot, which is what Jarwin was and Likely is.

Jarwin really was a dud. He failed as a blocker. He blew one in the Bucs game that was pretty bad.
Jarwin is still unemployed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jarwin is still unemployed.
Our offense led by solid blocking (prior to 2020) or 3 really good WRs (2020+) tended to make average TE's look better than they are.

Dak is the highest rated passer (by far) in the entire NFL passing to TE's. That tells me the rest of the offense is doing well enough that shorter and thus more accurate throws to TE's gain more YAC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Our offense led by solid blocking (prior to 2020) or 3 really good WRs (2020+) tended to make average TE's look better than they are.

Dak is the highest rated passer (by far) in the entire NFL passing to TE's. That tells me the rest of the offense is doing well enough that shorter and thus more accurate throws to TE's gain more YAC.
That is a good observation.

I just wonder how comfortable Moore is running a two-TE scheme. That is not Idaho State. And it really is not Scott Linehan either for the most part. He tried when he as with the Lions.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If Moore can't identify the best players on his team and build an offense around them, he needs to GTFO yesterday. Two TEs isn't exactly like building a hydrogen bomb.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He's fine, should be a really solid TE2 and perhaps a decent TE1, but that won't stop me from drafting Mayer if he's there in the 1st next year, or someone like McBride this past year in the 2nd.

Obviously this assumes we let Schultz go, if he's re-signed then don't talk to me about TE for at least 3 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's fine, should be a really solid TE2 and perhaps a decent TE1, but that won't stop me from drafting Mayer if he's there in the 1st next year, or someone like McBride this past year in the 2nd.

Obviously this assumes we let Schultz go, if he's re-signed then don't talk to me about TE for at least 3 years.
I think he does everything well he just is never going to be an explosive TE. But neither is Schultz in all honesty. I love that Ferguson has stellar hands though and the right attitude.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He just looks so spare athletically. I mean, a 4.77? Don't like that at all. The great hands don't matter so much if you can't get open. And Dak doesn't like throwing to covered guys anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He just looks so spare athletically. I mean, a 4.77? Don't like that at all. The great hands don't matter so much if you can't get open. And Dak doesn't like throwing to covered guys anyway.
Schultz ran pretty much the exact same time.

And he's not a great athlete by any means either but if Ferguson ends up being a Schultz-level player by year 2/3, and allows us to get rid of Schultz without overpaying, that's a win.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Schultz ran pretty much the exact same time.

And he's not a great athlete by any means either but if Ferguson ends up being a Schultz-level player by year 2/3, and allows us to get rid of Schultz without overpaying, that's a win.
But Schultz was incredibly ordinary until this year.

I just wish if we had to have a TE we'd have traded up for a guy like Kolar who could actually be a weapon, especially with our WR situation iffy. And it wouldn't have taken much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But Schultz was incredibly ordinary until this year.

I just wish if we had to have a TE we'd have traded up for a guy like Kolar who could actually be a weapon, especially with our WR situation iffy. And it wouldn't have taken much.
Kolar ran like a 4.89 forty so he isn't exactly the most fleet of foot either. Kolar had better numbers in college but a lot of that is just the systems they played in. College stats for TEs are very deceiving. I liked Kolar better too but I'm of the opinion that Ferguson isn't necessarily that much of a lesser prospect.

Now if I could put Fergusons hands in Woods body you'd have something special. Woods to me was the dynamic TE. But we would have had to totally rethink our draft strategy to pull off getting him. Which means no Tolbert or Sam Williams.

Otton may have been the guy most worthwhile to trade up for but he went first in round 4. So that would have taken some work to get up there for.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, don't expect a whole lot here. It took Schultz himself at least a year to get going

Top Bottom