2nd round pick: Sam Williams, EDGE, Mississippi

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
True. You could say he was onboard with the Falcons draft mistakes like Takk McKinley and Vic Beasley.
That dude is a tool. You can't base a coaches' pedigree by who gets drafted while they are a coach, especially a unit coach. There is no way to verify if any coach in any draft in the NFL's history got the final word on a draft pick. That's on the organizational scouting department, GM, and that's it. If they listened to a coach it's one thing, but to blame a coach for a team's draft picks is retarded.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That dude is a tool. You can't base a coaches' pedigree by who gets drafted while they are a coach, especially a unit coach. There is no way to verify if any coach in any draft in the NFL's history got the final word on a draft pick. That's on the organizational scouting department, GM, and that's it. If they listened to a coach it's one thing, but to blame a coach for a team's draft picks is retarded.
I disagree. A head coach should be judged by some of the choices that are made on their watch.

Case in point, I hold Chan fuckin' Gailey highly responsible for us not drafting Randy Moss.

Different coaches have different levels of stroke. Unless the coach is a complete stooge like a Campo or something, they are going to have a degree of input and hence, accountability. It all depends on if the GM/HC are in lock step. Many times they are because they are hired together.

Cotton

Staff member
I disagree. A head coach should be judged by some of the choices that are made on their watch.

Case in point, I hold Chan fuckin' Gailey highly responsible for us not drafting Randy Moss.

Different coaches have different levels of stroke. Unless the coach is a complete stooge like a Campo or something, they are going to have a degree of input and hence, accountability. It all depends on if the GM/HC are in lock step. Many times they are because they are hired together.
So, who gets credit for Zach Martin over Manziel? Do the coaches get that credit or does McClay and the scouts? The ultimate draft props/fault ultimately go to the GM and scouting department. Coaches should not be held accountable for what the team ultimately drafts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, who gets credit for Zach Martin over Manziel? Do the coaches get that credit or does McClay and the scouts? The ultimate draft props/fault ultimately go to the GM and scouting department. Coaches should not be held accountable for what the team ultimately drafts.
It depends on the circumstances. You are applying a blanket statement to every organization. As I stated, Chan Gailey was highly influential in passing on Randy Moss. If you think he did not…well, we got issues.

Cotton

Staff member
It depends on the circumstances. You are applying a blanket statement to every organization. As I stated, Chan Gailey was highly influential in passing on Randy Moss. If you think he did not…well, we got issues.
I absolutely was placing a blanket statement on all organizations, because that's how it should be run. We are just fucked up because ours is not.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Stephen Jones said Cowboys coach Jason Garrett "had a huge influence on selecting Martin," who has the quick feet of a left tackle (his primary position for the Irish) but is a mauling finisher as a guard.

Cotton

Staff member
Stephen Jones said Cowboys coach Jason Garrett "had a huge influence on selecting Martin," who has the quick feet of a left tackle (his primary position for the Irish) but is a mauling finisher as a guard.
And, the coaches should have input. My whole point is they don't have final say and shouldn't be held accountable for what the team ends up doing.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I find that hard to believe after Garrett thru a tantrum over us taking TFred instead of Eifert

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
True. You could say he was onboard with the Falcons draft mistakes like Takk McKinley and Vic Beasley.
Eh I don't view him as any type of a draft guru. That doesn't mean he doesn't kick ass when given talent. I'm not saying Sam Williams is going to be a stud because Quinn evaluated and drafted him. I'm saying I think Sam Williams will be productive because he has a lot of talent and a coach that knows how to get it out of him.

Those are big differences. Now Wright for example, I don't think he is going to be a stud just because he was a Quinn pet cat. He was a turd that Quinn hand picked like 4 rounds earlier than he should have gone.

Quinn's job isn't to scout and draft guys. His job is to get those guys to perform.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For example Parcells was all over Jacob Roger's when we picked him despite the scouts telling him it's a bad idea.

Cotton

Staff member
For example Parcells was all over Jacob Roger's when we picked him despite the scouts telling him it's a bad idea.
Exactly my point. The Patriots draft like ass, but Belichick is one of the most respected coaches ever. That's my point. He shouldn't be held accountable for his team's draft choices anymore than any other coach. Your job is to coach the damn team. If you fail at that, then you go away. But, you can't hold a coach accountable for the draft. Ever.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Drafting Micah Parsons and then committing to him as the defensive focal point was huge and erased many past mistakes like Smith, Gregory, and LVE in one shot. He added a few coachable finds in Osa, Cox, and Golston. Wright was a mistake (at least so far) and possibly Joseph too, but the fact the team essentially didn’t need them you have to attribute largely to Quinn’s coaching and leadership.

Who’d have thought before 2021 that any coach could have come to Dallas and buried LVE in a rotation and outright dumped Jaylon Smith? Quinn should be in the ROH for that alone.

Quinn brought in perfect FA’s for Dallas in spite of a crappy spend budget. Kearse, Watkins, Neal, even Urban all had solid seasons.

Last, Quinn has let the talented players already on the team thrive and not pinned them down to a system or scheme.

Diggs, Gregory, Armstrong, and Lawrence all got opportunities to step up and did, though Gregory seriously trailed off. Even Hill shined for a brief moment before injuring-out. You get the feeling if guys like Gallimore can’t become players under Quinn, they won’t succeed anywhere.

Quinn has clearly earned well more than the the benefit of a doubt here. And if Quinn’s boy Sam Williams becomes the stud Gregory was supposed to have been… MM will need to look over his shoulder for real.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Parcells has been notoriously bad at drafting early round players. He’s better at helping communicate to scouts what he wants in players vs targeting specific busts he gets man crushes on like Spears or Barbie.

He also passed on Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers in drafts where he needed to find a QB.

BP == great HC, terrible GM

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Parcells has been notoriously bad at drafting early round players. He’s better at helping communicate to scouts what he wants in players vs targeting specific busts he gets man crushes on like Spears or Barbie.

He also passed on Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers in drafts where he needed to find a QB.

BP == great HC, terrible GM
Just like Belichick.

Top Bottom