2024 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Pollard needs to return to the role he had 2 years ago. What he was last year wasn't worth 5 mil. So the question is, does a complimentary RB who is really good in that role, quantify 5 mil? I have a hard time thinking it's financially worth it. If we bring Pollard back RB is still a major priority. Or at least it needs to be.

Right, that's exactly the issue. For the role Pollard needs to be in, it's not that hard to find a draft pick or cheaper FA who could do it just about as well. And if you do pay him, you still need another guy anyway.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Right, that's exactly the issue. For the role Pollard needs to be in, it's not that hard to find a draft pick or cheaper FA who could do it just about as well. And if you do pay him, you still need another guy anyway.
Yeah, I'd rather draft a guy in the 3rd-5th round that can gives us what he does.

Save the money for a difference maker.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saquon Barkley
Josh Jacobs
Derrick Henry
Tony Pollard
Austin Ekeler
D'Andre Swift
JK Dobbins
Devin Singletary
AJ Dillon
Zack Moss
Gus Edwards

Who are you signing as a free agent? I think I'd almost prefer to sign an AJ Dillon type and be able to go into the draft free to take really any style of RB. You sign an D'Andre Swift or Tony Pollard for example and you'll need to draft a workhorse type. I don't really want to limit my options in the draft.

This is of course assuming Jacobs and Henry are sort of too expensive in free agency. My guess is Barkley will get the most but those two could be in for decent pay days. After that line, I think things get cheap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Saquon Barkley
Josh Jacobs
Derrick Henry
Tony Pollard
Austin Ekeler
D'Andre Swift
JK Dobbins
Devin Singletary
AJ Dillon
Zack Moss
Gus Edwards

Who are you signing as a free agent? I think I'd almost prefer to sign an AJ Dillon type and be able to go into the draft free to take really any style of RB. You sign an D'Andre Swift or Tony Pollard for example and you'll need to draft a workhorse type. I don't really want to limit my options in the draft.

This is of course assuming Jacobs and Henry are sort of too expensive in free agency. My guess is Barkley will get the most but those two could be in for decent pay days. After that line, I think things get cheap.
Go get a cheaper dude in Dillon or Moss and draft a guy. It is not that hard.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go get a cheaper dude in Dillon or Moss and draft a guy. It is not that hard.
I agree with this entirely. How much is AJ Dillon going to cost in free agency? A couple million on a one year deal? He is coming off a bad year. But previous years he was a really good hammer. I doubt his body is giving out. It was probably just a bad year. Zack Moss is also an excellent choice. There were times last year with the Colts he looked like he should be the lead back. 30 carries in a game for over 100 yards. 23 carries for 165 yards. He can definitely grind it out a bit.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I agree with this entirely. How much is AJ Dillon going to cost in free agency? A couple million on a one year deal? He is coming off a bad year. But previous years he was a really good hammer. I doubt his body is giving out. It was probably just a bad year. Zack Moss is also an excellent choice. There were times last year with the Colts he looked like he should be the lead back. 30 carries in a game for over 100 yards. 23 carries for 165 yards. He can definitely grind it out a bit.
Not flashy enough.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not flashy enough.
I mean flashy would be Josh Jacob's. (I just don't like Barkley, he is way too much homerun or lose yards) But Josh Jacob's is going to get money from a shitty team, go there, burn out and ride off into the sunset.

Rev

Staff member
I mean flashy would be Josh Jacob's. (I just don't like Barkley, he is way too much homerun or lose yards) But Josh Jacob's is going to get money from a shitty team, go there, burn out and ride off into the sunset.
Flashy is what the out of touch fan base will want and what Jerry will think we want.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Flashy is what the out of touch fan base will want and what Jerry will think we want.
Flashy at RB is usually a bad idea. But I guess flashy for Jerry Jones is probably King Henry, he is by far the biggest name on the market.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
I want a big back with elite speed and vison that never gets hurt.

Make that happen scouting dept.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That does not mean go apeshit. Only a dumb ass team pays big money for the most replaceable position on the field. Wait…

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That does not mean go apeshit. Only a dumb ass team pays big money for the most replaceable position on the field. Wait…
This is exactly right. Maybe just give it more attention than a fifth or sixth round pick.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Saquon Barkley
Josh Jacobs
Derrick Henry
Tony Pollard
Austin Ekeler
D'Andre Swift
JK Dobbins
Devin Singletary
AJ Dillon
Zack Moss
Gus Edwards

At the right price probably any of them, but I agree you ideally want as much of a full time guy as you can.

Rev

Staff member
Not flashy enough for our all-in leaders

• Picard
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom