2024 Cowboys UDFA Thread…

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm sure he's not the official budget setter but buffoon senior and junior don't know what they are doing and assuredly defer to him on most matters that are over their head. I think McClay is very involved with free agency.

Not money, they don't defer to McClay on that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not money, they don't defer to McClay on that.
But again, they found $3m for Zeke and could have created a little bit more if they wanted.

They say, hey, we are a little strapped, do we really need to come up with money for a RB?

If he said, as he should, "Yeah, these guys we have now suck and Zeke won't fix anything," they go another direction.

Instead he's probably like, "Well, we like our guys, Dowdle did some good things down the stretch, if we pair him with Zeke for a platoon and if Vaughn comes along a little we will be ok at the position."

So they don't stress out.

Austin Ekeler got $5.7m a year. Gus Edwards got $3.3m a year. Zach Moss got $4m a year. Aaron Jones got a 1 year $7m deal. Derrick Henry got $8m a year on a short term deal.

We couldn't have restructured someone to come up with another $1m-$5m in space?

He is assuredly relied on for the evaluations that factor into their plans. IMO he told them that these players aren't enough better to justify the increased cost, and I think he's gonna be dead wrong.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
MClay probably isn’t as good as people were claiming, but I don’t think he’s nearly as bad as you’re claiming, either. Remember, he still has to contend with the Jones boys.
McClay has a decent eye for talent and listening then organizing. But in this structure. He listens way to much to the coaching flavor at the time, especially with defensive players and I don’t know why.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But again, they found $3m for Zeke and could have created a little bit more if they wanted.

They say, hey, we are a little strapped, do we really need to come up with money for a RB?

If he said, as he should, "Yeah, these guys we have now suck and Zeke won't fix anything," they go another direction.

Instead he's probably like, "Well, we like our guys, Dowdle did some good things down the stretch, if we pair him with Zeke for a platoon and if Vaughn comes along a little we will be ok at the position."

So they don't stress out.

Austin Ekeler got $5.7m a year. Gus Edwards got $3.3m a year. Zach Moss got $4m a year. Aaron Jones got a 1 year $7m deal. Derrick Henry got $8m a year on a short term deal.

We couldn't have restructured someone to come up with another $1m-$5m in space?

He is assuredly relied on for the evaluations that factor into their plans. IMO he told them that these players aren't enough better to justify the increased cost, and I think he's gonna be dead wrong.
That is a whole lot of words just to say that we are not a destination for free agents.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
McClay has a decent eye for talent and listening then organizing. But in this structure. He listens way to much to the coaching flavor at the time, especially with defensive players and I don’t know why.
He can make all the recommendations he wants, but I think it all boils down to the final decision makers. And he’s not one of them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That is a whole lot of words just to say that we are not a destination for free agents.
We're not anymore. But I don't think that means we can't be competitive for mid tier running backs. We didn't even call any of them, so, it's not that they turned us down.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He can make all the recommendations he wants, but I think it all boils down to the final decision makers. And he’s not one of them.
Definitely true, but I think there are times when tweedle dee and dum have no idea and let him have a say.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't like much input from coaches when it comes to the draft. Tell McClay the type of player you're looking for. But ultimately let the scouts do their job. The guys that are watching these players 365 days out of the year know a hell of a lot more about the players in my opinion than a defensive coordinator or position coach who maybe has looked at the college players for 2 months? And probably not even full time as they instead have had to do everything else required of a coach. Hell, Zimmer didn't even go to the combine because he was too busy preparing for next season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're not anymore. But I don't think that means we can't be competitive for mid tier running backs. We didn't even call any of them, so, it's not that they turned us down.
We could have just as easily signed another LBer fairly cheap and gone into the draft not really needing one at all. But that costs some money. And probably a comp pick. I will say next years draft will be refreshing have the comp picks and not missing fourth and fifth rounders. Just sucks that we really are punting on this season. And in that case maybe RB is better next year. Don't burn a year on a RB's legs on a wasted season. The RB is just more the final piece.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Smiity doesn't seem as mellow as he was the other night.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Definitely true, but I think there are times when tweedle dee and dum have no idea and let him have a say.
Agreed. But imo, that’s when we get guys like Beebe, who none of us expected since we had already drafted OL. Or Bland. Jerry and Stephen sure as shit didn’t identify Bland. But somebody with a voice in the room did. Which I believe to be McClay.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One thing that can be used as a defense for not getting a RB in the draft or UDFA is the strength of the position.

The first back was not chosen until pick 46 with Jonathon Brooks.

That is the worst since 2014.

In that draft, see anybody that had a good career?

1714418147175.png

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing that can be used as a defense for not getting a RB in the draft or UDFA is the strength of the position.

The first back was not chosen until pick 46 with Jonathon Brooks.

That is the worst since 2014.

In that draft, see anybody that had a good career?

View attachment 694785
Freeman looked really good for like 2 years. I'd take that right now.

Top Bottom