2024 Cowboys Draft Grades

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Belichick (or Bellicheck) wasn't salvaging this team as it currently stands.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Now, I am not making comparisons, but there are other teams that have better than average OL's who have been able to squeeze a lot out of rather average RB's. If Beebee can transition to center, our line should be much improved (especially in the running game).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now, I am not making comparisons, but there are other teams that have better than average OL's who have been able to squeeze a lot out of rather average RB's. If Beebee can transition to center, our line should be much improved (especially in the running game).
Key word, average RBs. Do we have those? Not unless Duece and Luepke make strides.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I also dont have faith in Solari getting these guys to run block effectively.

• Wow
Reactions: p1_

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Sports Illustrated:

Dallas Cowboys
Grade: D+

• Round 1: No. 29: Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
  • Round 2: No. 56: Marshawn Kneeland, Edge, Western Michigan
  • Round 3: No. 73: Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State
  • Round 3: No. 87: Marist Liufau, LB, Notre Dame
  • Round 5: No. 174: Caelen Carson, CB, Wake Forest
  • Round 6: No. 216: Ryan Flournoy, WR, SE Missouri State
  • Round 7: No. 233: Nathan Thomas, OT, Louisiana
  • Round 7: No. 244: Justin Rogers, DT, Auburn
Analysis: We discussed this on the MMQB podcast, but Dallas’s continued insistence on behaving and drafting like a team that has already won something of consequence is puzzling. Guyton may have the highest upside of any tackle in this class, but owner Jerry Jones has to consider who benefits from a longer-term project when everyone on his staff is being held to the fire this year. There needs to be some thought put into Guyton’s long-term development.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sports Illustrated:

Dallas Cowboys

Analysis: We discussed this on the MMQB podcast, but Dallas’s continued insistence on behaving and drafting like a team that has already won something of consequence is puzzling. Guyton may have the highest upside of any tackle in this class, but owner Jerry Jones has to consider who benefits from a longer-term project when everyone on his staff is being held to the fire this year. There needs to be some thought put into Guyton’s long-term development.
Well that's rough.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Sports Illustrated:

Dallas Cowboys

This make zero sense.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Yahoo:

NFC East
Dallas Cowboys

Overall grade: C+
This draft went about how most people expected. The Cowboys got a potential Tyron Smith replacement in the first round, added front seven help and got depth on the offensive line. This draft might not have huge immediate returns for the Cowboys, but they made some strong dice rolls on future starters. The team sits in limbo as Jerry Jones decides what he wants to do next with his franchise, making this an important draft for the Cowboys to nail.

Favorite pick: Cooper Beebe, OL, Kansas State (73rd overall)
Beebe did it all for Kansas State. He flipped between guard and tackle — sometimes in the same game. He doesn’t have the best balance, but he has the athleticism to get to the second level and generally has good eyes in pass protection. Beebe has starter potential, which is great to find in the third round.

Least favorite pick: Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma (29th overall)

Guyton has infinite upside at offensive tackle, but he’s pretty raw as things stand now. He might have a lower floor than some other offensive tackles on the board, but the Cowboys needed to spend this pick on a tackle. It might not be pretty in 2024. Guyton can be special in this league. He’s just going to need a bit of a long leash.

Draft picks
Round 1, Pick 29: Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
Round 2, Pick 56: Marshawn Kneeland, DL/EDGE, Western Michigan
Round 3, Pick 73: Cooper Beebe, OL, Kansas State
Round 3, Pick 87: Marist Liufau, LB, Notre Dame
Round 5, Pick 174: Caelen Carson, CB, Wake Forest
Round 6, Pick 216: Ryan Flournoy, WR, Southeast Missouri State
Round 7, Pick 233: Nathan Thomas, OL, Louisiana Lafayette
Round 7, Pick 244: Justin Rogers, DL, Auburn

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Least favorite pick: Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma (29th overall)

Guyton has infinite upside at offensive tackle, but he’s pretty raw as things stand now. He might have a lower floor than some other offensive tackles on the board, but the Cowboys needed to spend this pick on a tackle. It might not be pretty in 2024. Guyton can be special in this league. He’s just going to need a bit of a long leash.

How is it a bad pick based on this?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's not a sexy draft and the biggest names are ones that need development to hit their upsides. Hence the bad grades. Everyone is also essentially dinging us for the draft not reversing our awful offseason agenda, and giving us an F- for our handling of the offseason is totally fair, but also not entirely relevant when evaluating the draft.

As for the draft itself, I object to factoring in need but I also think this is a wait and see draft. It's not an instant A or B grade either. There is too much projection for all the Day 1-2 picks.

At Draft Day +1, I don't put this draft ahead of obvious boom classes like 2010, 2016, and 2020, which we knew early on had some great long term pieces. Not sure it ends up better than 2021 or 2022 either.

It certainly should be better than all-time bust classes like 2009. Hopefully just by the 1st rounder panning out it ends up better than last year's class.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's not a sexy draft and the biggest names are ones that need development to hit their upsides. Hence the bad grades. Everyone is also essentially dinging us for the draft not reversing our awful offseason agenda, and giving us an F- for our handling of the offseason is totally fair, but also not entirely relevant when evaluating the draft.

As for the draft itself, I object to factoring in need but I also think this is a wait and see draft. It's not an instant A or B grade either. There is too much projection for all the Day 1-2 picks.

At Draft Day +1, I don't put this draft ahead of obvious boom classes like 2010, 2016, and 2020, which we knew early on had some great long term pieces. Not sure it ends up better than 2021 or 2022 either.

It certainly should be better than all-time bust classes like 2009. Hopefully just by the 1st rounder panning out it ends up better than last year's class.
Guyton involves projection but I don't think there's much projection with Kneeland or Beebe, what you see is more or less what you get with those guys in terms of very high floors.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Of course there's some projection with a left tackle taken at 29. Those guys are never going to be perfect.

But I'll take an inexperienced player with talent over a borderline athlete you hope you can make work... unless he's a turd of a human, which I haven't heard about Guyton.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Jacksonville took an OT around the same area of draft last year. Same kinda developmental guy and it has worked out well. Can't remember his name.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't mind low grades, even if I disagree. It's all speculation anyway.

What I do mind is the backwards logic to get there.

If you claim a player has "infinite upside" and "can be special", that's very clearly not the worst pick of a "C" draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't mind low grades, even if I disagree. It's all speculation anyway.

What I do mind is the backwards logic to get there.

If you claim a player has "infinite upside" and "can be special", that's very clearly not the worst pick of a "C" draft.
If this draft hits on the Oline it's a great draft. If you get a good starting LT and center long term that's a big deal. I think there is probably at least one more future starter in the group. Probably Kneeland or Carson.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My speculation....

Guyton is a relative hit and ends up a starter. Maybe a low end Flozell Adams type. Not a Hall of Famer like Tyron, but a good starter for half a decade or so.

Kneeland ends up a rotational player/low end starter, better than Dorance Armstrong and maybe Sam Williams but not as good as DeMarcus Lawrence.

Beebe ends up starting at some point but is way more Connor McGovern or Connor Williams than Zach Martin.

Liufau is a special teamer and has a career like Kyle Wilber.

Caelen Carson is a minor steal, is not Daron Bland or Orlando Scandrick, but does turn in a Jourdan Lewis like career.

Everyone else washes out.

Top Bottom