2024 Cowboys Draft Grades

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
I said during the pre-draft podcast that I didn't really care about using the draft to maximize the ability to compete next year, primarily because I think these morons are trying to win even less than they normally would.

So while the RB thing is ridiculous and will undoubtedly be one of the main reasons the team fails this year, I don't really care because to me it was more important to have a more future-oriented mindset rather than trying to find guys who can play roles right now on a potential Super Bowl run. Thinking about the future is part of the idea every year of course, but at least in my mind it was even more so the case this year.

With all that in mind, I'm not bumping an otherwise awesome draft down to a B- or whatever just because we didn't use it to add a RB, which is still a fungible/easily addressed position either way even if these fucks are choosing to completely ignore it.

The most important thing is that they completely reset the OL clock with loads of talent that will form the foundation of the offense and potentially even the entire roster over the next 5+ years, while adding really solid value on the defensive side with guys like Kneeland (future starter) and Carson (potential future starter).
Its not that they are trying to win less...........this was just a pay the piper year with the salary cap. Having to pay Dak, Lamb, Parsons mixed with last years go for it light year made this inevitable.

Jerry blew this year the moment he didnt fire MM and hire Bellicheck.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Its not that they are trying to win less...........this was just a pay the piper year with the salary cap. Having to pay Dak, Lamb, Parsons mixed with last years go for it light year made this inevitable.

You think Belichick could win big with this skeleton crew?

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
I said during the pre-draft podcast that I didn't really care about using the draft to maximize the ability to compete next year, primarily because I think these morons are trying to win even less than they normally would.

So while the RB thing is ridiculous and will undoubtedly be one of the main reasons the team fails this year, I don't really care because to me it was more important to have a more future-oriented mindset rather than trying to find guys who can play roles right now on a potential Super Bowl run. Thinking about the future is part of the idea every year of course, but at least in my mind it was even more so the case this year.

With all that in mind, I'm not bumping an otherwise awesome draft down to a B- or whatever just because we didn't use it to add a RB, which is still a fungible/easily addressed position either way even if these fucks are choosing to completely ignore it.

The most important thing is that they completely reset the OL clock with loads of talent that will form the foundation of the offense and potentially even the entire roster over the next 5+ years, while adding really solid value on the defensive side with guys like Kneeland (future starter) and Carson (potential future starter).
I agree. At least they didnt do something stupid like use a 2nd on a RB. They could have easily signed a veteran this offseason or done anything to get a few good back on here. Jerry is just REALLY bad at what he does.

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
You think Belichick could win big with this skeleton crew?
What crew? Bellicheck would bring in all his own coaches. You sign him for 7 years and let him do his thing. County club atmosphere and coddling disappears. DT becomes a priority again. Defense is now a built into the mix as Belli is a genius and we stop rebuilding the defense every 3 years with different styles and player types.

It was a golden opportunity that Jerry blew. Laughably I think he gets another opportunity after this season. If I was Jerry I would start telling Belli that he is the new coach barring a SB win, which we all know wont happen.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
What crew? Bellicheck would bring in all his own coaches. You sign him for 7 years and let him do his thing. County club atmosphere and coddling disappears. DT becomes a priority again. Defense is now a built into the mix as Belli is a genius and we stop rebuilding the defense every 3 years with different styles and player types.

It was a golden opportunity that Jerry blew. Laughably I think he gets another opportunity after this season. If I was Jerry I would start telling Belli that he is the new coach barring a SB win, which we all know wont happen.

You think the country club dissapears? Who do you think allows that and he isn't walking on eggshells anymore.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What crew? Bellicheck would bring in all his own coaches.
I like Belichick -- plenty don't -- but I was talking about the players.

As great as he's been, he's not a miracle worker.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Belichick is not the answer.

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
You think the country club dissapears? Who do you think allows that and he isn't walking on eggshells anymore.
Jerry and all his BS is exactly what allows it. Belli makes that nonsense go away instantly. Probably the only coach in existence that could do it.

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
I like Belichick -- plenty don't -- but I was talking about the players.

As great as he's been, he's not a miracle worker.
If jerry is still calling every single shot with players then your probably right. But I bet he listens to Belli.

This team has talent. Its just been too poorly coached and had some major issues at positions that haven't been addressed.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jerry and all his BS is exactly what allows it. Belli makes that nonsense go away instantly. Probably the only coach in existence that could do it.
Have you been paying attention to the offseason at all? What was our biggest need and did they address it at all? They do what they want and an old coach past his prime isn't going to change that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They could have easily signed a veteran this offseason or done anything to get a few good back on here.

True, that's the real issue here.

But once that happens and you go into the draft with nothing, you can't just not take a guy. That shouldn't have been an option.

There's no way they'd get more value out of a 4th LB than a starting RB.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
this was just a pay the piper year with the salary cap. Having to pay Dak, Lamb, Parsons mixed with last years go for it light year made this inevitable.
That's what they want us to think but I don't agree or believe that.

They couldn't afford a couple million for Hankins and 4 or 5 million for a serviceable RB?

There's zero chance that's true.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they should be blowing $15-20+ million on an outside FA.

But there's no reason they couldn't have found some change under the couch cushions to plug a few holes.

Regardless of what internal contracts are coming up.

Oh boy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom