2024 Cowboys Draft Grades

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Post em here. Your's and any you find on the webs.

Kiper:

1714308696734.png
I agree 100%. The reach for the LB and ignoring RB with the second third AND in UDFA knocks it down to B- for me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you ignore needs I think it's an A draft. Only one reach in my opinion. That's the Notre Dame LBer. I love how we attacked the Oline. I think we got a potential steal at corner. The traits of the WR we got are off the charts. We drafted a real NT who can hopefully at least rotate as a run stopper. I even like the third Olineman we got a bunch who I think was also a steal.

It's the RB thing. That's my problem. You shouldn't draft for needs but fuck, you also can't just never draft or sign a RB and pretend like things are OK.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Liufau pick and the lack of aggression in going after a back pulls the grade to a solid B.
It was the only reach of the draft in my opinion. Everyone else was either a steal or spot on for where they should go. I watch Voch's breakdown of the guy and I think I see why they love the kid. But it doesn't change the fact that he should have been a fourth/fifth and we took him in the third.

Ultimately though, no RB still drives me nuts. We better fucking trade for someone.

data

Forbes #1
How much higher on their board did they have Liufau than the highest RB available at the time? Inquiring minds want to know.

data

Forbes #1
Bleacher Report
B-

Give the Dallas Cowboys credit for trading back in the first round, getting an extra Day 2 pick in the process and still filling a vital need. Oklahoma's Tyler Guyton may need some time to develop, but he has the potential to become Tyron Smith's long-term replacement at left tackle.
"Guyton is a young, inexperienced and green tackle prospect with elite physical tools and flashes of dominance that can get him on the field right away," Brandon Thorn of the B/R Scouting Department wrote.
Getting Guyton at No. 29 represents good value and will prevent Dallas from moving Tyler Smith back to left tackle—where he had his fair share of struggles before settling in at left guard.
In Round 2, the Cowboys grabbed Western Michigan's Marshawn Kneeland. While Kneeland may not have the athletic traits needed to become a dominant edge-rusher at the pro level—and was only the 80th-ranked prospect on the B/R board—he does help fill a positional need.
Dallas lost rotational pass-rushers Dorance Armstrong and Dante Fowler Jr. in free agency.
Notre Dame linebacker Marist Liufau probably isn't refined enough to fill a prominent role right away, but he'll provide early depth to a linebacker corps that had its fair share of issues last season. Like some of Dallas' early 2023 draft selections—notably Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker—the Liufau pick seems to be a bet on upside, as does the fifth-round pick of Caelen Carson.
After watching Dallas draft primarily for the future in 2023 and get little out of its rookie class, this was a refreshing change of pace. The Cowboys took serious swings at their offensive line, which quickly became the team's biggest question mark after early free agency.
It would have been wise to do a little more to address a mediocre run defense, and the Cowboys still lack a starting-caliber running back and reliable receiver depth. Viewing this in terms of being an "all-in" draft for the 2024 season, though, Dallas could have done much worse.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much higher on their board did they have Liufau than the highest RB available at the time? Inquiring minds want to know.
I would really love to know where we ranked all these RBs. Like are we ranking them all too low? Were they all ranked in the fourth/fifth round on our board, where we had no pick, fucking idiots. Or were they close to best pick in the third, we just had a LBer rated slightly higher?

data

Forbes #1
CBS Sports
C+ overall

Guyton B
Kneeland B-
Beebe B+
Liufau C+
Carson B+
Fournoy A
Thomas A
Rogers C

I, personally, am not sure what the Cowboys are doing. Ok, well I do know they stood by their word and attempted to rebuild the offensive line. I commend that. I loved Beebe in Round 2 and particularly Thomas in Round 7.
Guyton is very much a project who doesn't quite play to his workout. Kneeland is another project-y type who never came close to dominating in the MAC. Liufau plays with his hair on fire. I like that. Minimal coverage chops beyond following crossers, and he misses tackles at too high a rate for my liking.
Flournoy can be the gem of this class. Size, burst, long speed, and power through contact. It's all there with him, and the receiver group did need a little jolt.

data

Forbes #1
I would really love to know where we ranked all these RBs. Like are we ranking them all too low? Were they all ranked in the fourth/fifth round on our board, where we had no pick, fucking idiots. Or were they close to best pick in the third, we just had a LBer rated slightly higher?
Im guessing they compared the prospects to a hypothetical draft grade for Zeke and, banking on signing noserings…it’ll be like an extra draft pick!

Why waste a third on a RB when we can get a comparable player in Zeke + Liufau!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im guessing they compared the prospects to a hypothetical draft grade for Zeke and, banking on signing noserings…it’ll be like an extra draft pick!

I wouldn't take current Zeke in the seventh round.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
CBS Sports
C+ overall

Guyton B
Kneeland B-
Beebe B+
Liufau C+
Carson B+
Fournoy A
Thomas A
Rogers C

I, personally, am not sure what the Cowboys are doing. Ok, well I do know they stood by their word and attempted to rebuild the offensive line. I commend that. I loved Beebe in Round 2 and particularly Thomas in Round 7.
Guyton is very much a project who doesn't quite play to his workout. Kneeland is another project-y type who never came close to dominating in the MAC. Liufau plays with his hair on fire. I like that. Minimal coverage chops beyond following crossers, and he misses tackles at too high a rate for my liking.
Flournoy can be the gem of this class. Size, burst, long speed, and power through contact. It's all there with him, and the receiver group did need a little jolt.
Sorry, but C+ is bullshit. Outside of one reach and no RB, this was a really good draft.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If we had every available back lower than the LB, we were the only team in the league who did.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we had every available back lower than the LB, we were the only team in the league who did.
Even if we did, are you telling me a RB wasn't close? Like maybe a 3.1 vs a 3.2 (Not sure how our grading scale works)

I mean you can't tell me we had this LBer ranked as a second round prospect. So maybe he was a third on our board. You didn't have any RBs as thirds? The LBer obviously wasn't some blinking light. I get it we really like him. I'll let that play out but if he was the best on your board than trade down. Turn that pick into a RB and a LBer. Or whatever.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

You kid, but I bet that's exactly what they thought. Sturm kept talking about a philosophy of only drafting players who were better than what you already had. I'm sure Jerry's addled brain was thinking Zeke was better than everyone but Brooks.

I mean, he saw Zeke play for the Patriots. He knows.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I said during the pre-draft podcast that I didn't really care about using the draft to maximize the ability to compete next year, primarily because I think these morons are trying to win even less than they normally would.

So while the RB thing is ridiculous and will undoubtedly be one of the main reasons the team fails this year, I don't really care because to me it was more important to have a more future-oriented mindset rather than trying to find guys who can play roles right now on a potential Super Bowl run. Thinking about the future is part of the idea every year of course, but at least in my mind it was even more so the case this year.

With all that in mind, I'm not bumping an otherwise awesome draft down to a B- or whatever just because we didn't use it to add a RB, which is still a fungible/easily addressed position either way even if these fucks are choosing to completely ignore it.

The most important thing is that they completely reset the OL clock with loads of talent that will form the foundation of the offense and potentially even the entire roster over the next 5+ years, while adding really solid value on the defensive side with guys like Kneeland (future starter) and Carson (potential future starter).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most important thing is that they completely reset the OL clock with loads of talent that will form the foundation of the offense and potentially even the entire roster over the next 5+ years, while adding really solid value on the defensive side with guys like Kneeland (future starter) and Carson (potential future starter).
Carson kind of reminds me of a Chido type player. Can't complain with that in the fifth.

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
Post em here. Your's and any you find on the webs.

Kiper:

View attachment 694781
I agree 100%. The reach for the LB and ignoring RB with the second third AND in UDFA knocks it down to B- for me.
Im giving it a B. The Beebe pick really made and saved this draft. I wanted a trade down they did that. I also wanted them to take one of the top 3 centers and then take Beebe in the 2nd. They got the tackle instead and if Beebe can is the new starting Center, then its a win for me. But Guyton has to turn into a great LT. If he is average, this doenst work. I would have rather put Tyler Smith at LT and got the plug and play Beebe at guard and the plug and play center with either JPJ or Frazier. Getting that high 3rd round pick was masterful. Figured it would have be been a low 3rd rounder trading with the likes of Buffalo or KC.

Kneeland pick is a solid pick I get it. If they hadnt taken Kneeland here then DE would have been a must next year. Lawrence is gone after this season.

I certainly didnt want them to reach for a RB in the 2nd. So they didnt do that either. That is huge for me. Love that they finally realized they need to devalue the RB position and value the Oline. Problem is they now dont value the RB position at all. LOL

Jerry always does one or two things horrible dumb things each year to make sure we never have a realistic shot at winning the SB. Not getting a RB between this year and last years draft is just monumental and total failure as a GM. And this offseason was full of plenty of good veteran RB's in FA.

This draft could have been an A+ had the simply taken marshawn Lloyd with that last 3rd rounder. Plug and play big play, 3 down RB to go with our newfound, fixed, young mauling Oline. But they went with the Lber. And of course Lloyd went with the next pick to the Packers. That was a tough one for me.

ONLY way that picks works out is if the Notre Dame Lber becomes a starter and plays for 6 years. I just dont see it.

I bet Zimmer plays Parsons at MLB on first down a lot this year and at Lber more this year to help out with the run. Let him rush the passer on passing downs. Gotta stop the run first and its really now what he is best at from the DE position. And it gets him tired out.

I think fans need to accept we were never going to win the SB this year. This was more of a pay the piper year. Jerry all in comment was just stupid. I never believed him. Those that did got suckered.

THE #1 thing we needed to do this year was fix the Oline and make sure that some undrafted 2nd year FA scrub like Hoffman wasnt anchoring the center of our line. I think we did that. Now we can compete again.

Top Bottom