2024 Combine Thread

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"Freakiest guys in the draft" :jerk

Bunch of people desirous of a white corner succeeding. Who cares.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I really love his interior pass rush but I don't want to spend a 1st on a 285 lb. DT, if he drops to like 40-45 in the 2nd I'd be looking to move up.
I doubt he falls out of the 1st round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really love his interior pass rush but I don't want to spend a 1st on a 285 lb. DT, if he drops to like 40-45 in the 2nd I'd be looking to move up.
I mean I see him listed at 295? Why do you think he is that much smaller? Are you ok with a 295 pound DT in the first? Because I'm ok with it. But I've also been ok with the Aaron Donald/Kancey types. Never scared me if a dude is a little smaller but quick as a cat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Feb. 22 - Certain combine medical reports to watch
The NFL Combine is less than a week away from getting started in Indianapolis, as over 300 of the nation's top available draft talent will go through interviews with teams and the media as well as the scheduled workouts at Lucas Oil Stadium. One aspect of the combine that scouts pay close attention to is the medical reports that come out of the extensive physicals that are done during the week.
For the Cowboys, a handful of top players at positions of need will be followed closely coming out of that process.
Duke offensive lineman Graham Barton is trending as a late first round option for trench-needy teams, and results coming out of his torn labrum will be key. There aren't major concerns, but a clear physical will reinforce his stock.
West Virginia center Zach Frazier broke his leg in his final season with the Mountaineers and is still rehabbing to get back to 100-percent. Along those same lines, Texas running back Jonathon Brooks – who is trending as the top running back in the draft – tore his ACL in November and had his ACL surgery done by the Dallas Cowboys' team doctor, Dr. Dan Cooper.
North Carolina State linebacker Payton Wilson is a consensus top five linebacker in the draft, but two knee injuries and a shoulder injury from his days with the Wolfpack will have teams watching his medical evaluation closely. Iowa defensive back Cooper DeJean is dealing with a lower leg injury that will keep him out of the workouts in Indianapolis, but his medical evaluations are not expected to be overwhelmingly negative. - Harris

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
West Virginia center Zach Frazier broke his leg in his final season with the Mountaineers and is still rehabbing to get back to 100-percent. Along those same lines, Texas running back Jonathon Brooks – who is trending as the top running back in the draft – tore his ACL in November and had his ACL surgery done by the Dallas Cowboys' team doctor, Dr. Dan Cooper.
Is Cooper the one who did Gallup and Steele's ACLs? :doh

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean I see him listed at 295? Why do you think he is that much smaller? Are you ok with a 295 pound DT in the first? Because I'm ok with it. But I've also been ok with the Aaron Donald/Kancey types. Never scared me if a dude is a little smaller but quick as a cat.
Just a guess on my part but he looks smaller than his listed 6-2, 295, my real issue is the Jones fracture combined with his general lack of size. I think that's a relatively serious injury that can really sap explosiveness, I believe it's what Dez had in 2015.

Just too much risk there for me in the first considering the other talent that will be available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a guess on my part but he looks smaller than his listed 6-2, 295, my real issue is the Jones fracture combined with his general lack of size. I think that's a relatively serious injury that can really sap explosiveness, I believe it's what Dez had in 2015.

Just too much risk there for me in the first considering the other talent that will be available.
Yeah I'm not an expert on a Jones fracture. Didn't Derek Henry have that earlier in his career? I think I'd be more concerned with a corner or WR than say a lineman.

But I don't know injuries. Back and necks freak me out but beyond that it's one of those factors I don't know how to judge. All I know is if you watch the guy play he is a badass. And he did it with the Jones fracture for half the season. If he is 295 I'd be thrilled with him in the first. I like Byron Murphy a lot too.

Now if he is 280-285, I'm probably out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah I'm not an expert on a Jones fracture. Didn't Derek Henry have that earlier in his career? I think I'd be more concerned with a corner or WR than say a lineman.

But I don't know injuries. Back and necks freak me out but beyond that it's one of those factors I don't know how to judge. All I know is if you watch the guy play he is a badass. And he did it with the Jones fracture for half the season. If he is 295 I'd be thrilled with him in the first. I like Byron Murphy a lot too.

Now if he is 280-285, I'm probably out.
My other concern is that with these undersized but explosive upfield penetrating type DT's who are first round possibilities is that you want to see them confirm it with a freaky 40.

Donald and Kancey both ran in the 4.6's, I'd want to see that from Newton before taking him in the first over guys like Fautanu, Barton, Murphy or even someone like Darius Robinson. I can't imagine really any scenario where I'd take Newton at 24 without seeing official measurements and a confirmed 40 that matches the freakiness you see on tape.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My other concern is that with these undersized but explosive upfield penetrating type DT's who are first round possibilities is that you want to see them confirm it with a freaky 40.

Donald and Kancey both ran in the 4.6's, I'd want to see that from Newton before taking him in the first over guys like Fautanu, Barton, Murphy or even someone like Darius Robinson. I can't imagine really any scenario where I'd take Newton at 24 without seeing official measurements and a confirmed 40 that matches the freakiness you see on tape.
Yeah that does suck because the speculation is that he would run a killer forty. But we have seen that go both ways. And not as much the forty as like a freaky 10 yard split. 10 yards for a DT is really about how far they probably run on most plays. But that's the closing burst to get to the QB in the pocket.

Top Bottom