2023 Season | Week 6 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Chargers | 10/15/2023

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
on the first one he times his jump wrong and then compounds it by short arming it... a really bad night for Gallup.
The one that was nearly picked off by Derwin James would have been back-breaking.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The one that was nearly picked off by Derwin James would have been back-breaking.
I think that was the drive we went for 4th and didn't get it, so it obviously wouldn't have been that back breaking, but it'd have been insult to injury and even more embarrassing for Gallup who looks like a steaming pile of shit.

At this point I'm thinking Tolbert might have more to offer.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Here's the thing with Dak, we can obviously do better so I'd be on the search for those opportunities while making churning-type high reward (even if low probability) moves like the Lance trade. With that said, I also think there's a pathway to a Super Bowl appearance if you have a 2017 Eagles/2021 Rams-type environment.

That means top tier defense, which we arguably have, especially when healthy, and either a really strong running game and/or innovative offensive design. That's not an easy needle to thread but it's there, and most teams around the league are in almost the exact same position aside from the Chiefs, Bengals and maybe Bills. There are no other QB's in the league besides those three who can carry their team to a Super Bowl without at least 2/3 of elite defense, elite running game/OL, and elite offensive design.

The unfortunate reality of the situation is that SF has our number, Dak's number, whatever you want to call it, and our offensive design isn't good enough to overcome that. Aside from that one particular matchup Dak has played well in the playoffs and been decent enough to get us to consistently get us double digit wins during the regular season.

He clearly can't be paid like a top 5 QB, but a Stafford-type deal that makes him like the 8th-10th highest paid QB in the league?

You can feasibly build a good enough team around him in that case, it isn't easy or a lock, but it can be done and has been done in the last 5-10 years.

So would I trade up for someone like Maye if he fell to 12? Sure. Would I take McCarthy if he fell to 25? Sure.

But there's also a pathway with Dak, even if relatively narrow, and it obviously takes having a very good roster around him and top tier coaching, especially offensively.

The hyperbole about him being Tony Banks or not even a starting caliber QB is just bullshit that is likely people projecting their anger because the Cowboys haven't done shit for nearly 30 years.
I've never said he's Tony Banks or "not a starting caliber QB."

He's just a painfully average one.

And yes we should be actively seeking to upgrade because, otherwise, we are stuck in this cycle of going nowhere. Yeah, most teams don't have elite QBs. Most teams also aren't year-in, year-out playoff contenders. Most teams are stuck in the mediocre middle for a long time, just like us.

The problem is that "a long time," is, for us, turning into a generational thing.

It's time to get creative, to think outside the box, to stop accepting "we are a playoff team, let's just get in the dance and hope we get lucky."

That doesn't work for us. At some point we have to make some luck. Even upgrading to one of the best coaches in football hasn't really moved the needle. We are a wildcard team that can't really hang with the big boys. But yay, at least we make that wild card round every year (and then lose).

As such, there's really not such a thing as "too much," to give up. Time for a change. Do something that is unconventional. Accept the risk that it may not work, and if it doesn't, be prepared to do something unconventional again. We aren't risking anything. All we are risking is the last 4-5 years of what, the mediocre Prescott era? Oh no, we are going to waste the prime of Tony Pollard's career?

I'm not afraid of a tear down and start from scratch if that is what it takes. How is that worse than all of the zero divisional round wins we have had in the past 30 years?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've never said he's Tony Banks or "not a starting caliber QB."

He's just a painfully average one.

And yes we should be actively seeking to upgrade because, otherwise, we are stuck in this cycle of going nowhere. Yeah, most teams don't have elite QBs. Most teams also aren't year-in, year-out playoff contenders. Most teams are stuck in the mediocre middle for a long time, just like us.

The problem is that "a long time," is, for us, turning into a generational thing.

It's time to get creative, to think outside the box, to stop accepting "we are a playoff team, let's just get in the dance and hope we get lucky."

That doesn't work for us. At some point we have to make some luck. Even upgrading to one of the best coaches in football hasn't really moved the needle. We are a wildcard team that can't really hang with the big boys. But yay, at least we make that wild card round every year (and then lose).

As such, there's really not such a thing as "too much," to give up. Time for a change. Do something that is unconventional. Accept the risk that it may not work, and if it doesn't, be prepared to do something unconventional again. We aren't risking anything. All we are risking is the last 4-5 years of what, the mediocre Prescott era? Oh no, we are going to waste the prime of Tony Pollard's career?

I'm not afraid of a tear down and start from scratch if that is what it takes. How is that worse than all of the zero divisional round wins we have had in the past 30 years?
I don't disagree with any of that, but I also don't think we should trade up for whatever QB happens to be available in whatever draft who happened to drop for whatever reason, almost at random.

I like Maye, so if he drops I'd consider that, I don't like Ewers so I wouldn't advocate for that. Who knows about next year or the year after?

I also think extending Dak for something reasonable and trying to break through that way while keeping an eye on opportunities at QB makes sense as well.

Basically we should treat him like Alex Smith and be on the lookout for an opportunity to move up for someone who you can groom for a year or two behind him like the Chiefs did, while trying to win in the meantime. All the while continuing to churn developmental mid round types, which at the moment is Lance.

The one thing I can't advocate for is giving Dak a 50+/year extension. Something in the low, maybe even mid 40's is digestable, but anything approaching 50 is just pointless.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think that was the drive we went for 4th and didn't get it, so it obviously wouldn't have been that back breaking, but it'd have been insult to injury and even more embarrassing for Gallup who looks like a steaming pile of shit.

At this point I'm thinking Tolbert might have more to offer.
Maybe not in terms of the game, but more on the Prescott gets picked all the time narrative. That was a clanker that would make Noah Brown envious.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't disagree with any of that, but I also don't think we should trade up for whatever QB happens to be available in whatever draft who happened to drop for whatever reason, almost at random.

I like Maye, so if he drops I'd consider that, I don't like Ewers so I wouldn't advocate for that. Who knows about next year or the year after?

I also think extending Dak for something reasonable and trying to break through that way while keeping an eye on opportunities at QB makes sense as well.

Basically we should treat him like Alex Smith and be on the lookout for an opportunity to move up for someone who you can groom for a year or two behind him like the Chiefs did, while trying to win in the meantime. All the while continuing to churn developmental mid round types, which at the moment is Lance.

The one thing I can't advocate for is giving Dak a 50+/year extension. Something in the low, maybe even mid 40's is digestable, but anything approaching 50 is just pointless.
No, you can't just trade up for whatever QB high in the draft. You have to find a guy you like.

But yeah Drake Maye should be a guy we all like.

Except @boozeman, F that guy.

PS, I'm not like it's Drake Maye or bust. I want us to find a QB we like in the next year or two and go get him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If that play was in the second quarter I think Dak would've thrown it a little flatter, the INT risk goes up but so does the chance of a catch. I get not wanting to be too risky with it in that spot in the game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that play was in the second quarter I think Dak would've thrown it a little flatter, the INT risk goes up but so does the chance of a catch. I get not wanting to be too risky with it in that spot in the game.
Well yeah, look what Hurts did with the lead against the Jets at the end of the game...

p1_

DCC 4Life
As bad as Gallup was, he probably still didn't have as bad a game as 73
You will never get to put these two names in the same sentence again. One dude was an aberration, the other is a regular occurrence.

Top Bottom