2023 Season | Week 15 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Bills | 12/17/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's pretty obvious that Steichen was the real brains behind the offense, but oh well, I'm sure it'll only get better from here on out as Kelce retires, the Hurts extension kicks in, Hurts continues to get beat up and loses his effectiveness as a runner, so on and so forth.
They also fucked up the DC hire. They had Dennard Wilson in-house.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sounds like what the Broncos did a few years ago. How can such a common defense cause so many problems?

But it seemed to me during the game we didn't use multiple TEs as much as we have at times. I like that set. Wonder if it's just that Gallup got paid.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought during the game that it looked like Buffalo was playing with 13 players on defense. There was nowhere to go with the ball, and the pressure was getting to Dak on almost every play.
They did a lot of holding and grabbing. But the refs for the most part weren't calling many penalties so you have to figure it out.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I thought during the game that it looked like Buffalo was playing with 13 players on defense. There was nowhere to go with the ball, and the pressure was getting to Dak on almost every play.
The problem starts with Dak. He’s not processing on the road like he does at home or at SoFi. Maybe he can’t use cadence the same way?

Next, once the offense can’t get a lead, our DL and tiny LB’s are hard pressed to stop the run. Or maybe this offensive scheme can’t face complete defenses at all.

This team reminds me of Landry’s 1985 Cowboys. Shortened routes, statistically the #1 offense, played defense often with 4 down lineman and 7 defensive backs, a couple of whom were tweener sized.

That team would take down average to above average competition, then got blown out by the Bears, Bengals, and Rams.

Newt

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem starts with Dak. He’s not processing on the road like he does at home or at SoFi. Maybe he can’t use cadence the same way?
I definitely think the cadence is part of it. The Oline looks all discombobulated on the road. My guess is the "here we go" doesn't work so well on the road. Protection goes to shit, timing is messed up and the end result is it looks like Dak isn't processing the same. But in reality that crispness of the offense is just gone and with things sort of falling flat around him it's nearly impossible to have that same rhythm.

Honestly, running the ball is what helps a ton on the road. We need to figure out how to committ better to it when we need to on the road. Conversely stopping the run is also important because the offenses opportunities get severely limited when the other team is just running up and down the field. Quinn figure your shit out and McCarthy, don't be afraid to try and play bully ball.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I was listening for the 'here we go' in Buffalo and didnt hear it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I definitely think the cadence is part of it. The Oline looks all discombobulated on the road. My guess is the "here we go" doesn't work so well on the road. Protection goes to shit, timing is messed up and the end result is it looks like Dak isn't processing the same. But in reality that crispness of the offense is just gone and with things sort of falling flat around him it's nearly impossible to have that same rhythm.

Honestly, running the ball is what helps a ton on the road. We need to figure out how to committ better to it when we need to on the road. Conversely stopping the run is also important because the offenses opportunities get severely limited when the other team is just running up and down the field. Quinn figure your shit out and McCarthy, don't be afraid to try and play bully ball.
Would be nice if we had a decent running back who could get tough yards.

The idea of a fairly compensated Zeke Elliott type back is really appealing. Just not a washed up one.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Would be nice if we had a decent running back who could get tough yards.
Speaking of that, have any of the RBs taken after the first round been that impressive? I can't really think of one. Charbonnet got some talk because he's bigger, but I don't think he's looked that good, at least from what little I've seen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Speaking of that, have any of the RBs taken after the first round been that impressive? I can't really think of one. Charbonnet got some talk because he's bigger, but I don't think he's looked that good, at least from what little I've seen.
Tyjae Spears has been decent, maybe Chase Brown lately but overall it was not a great class.

One young guy who might shake loose before next year is Dameon Pierce, who has been in the Texans' doghouse this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom