2023 Season | Conference Championship Round | Gameday Chatter Thread | 1/28/2024

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
How many points did they put quickly?
And another thing, those points that they scored so quickly were done so with all the momentum behind them and you cannot disregard how that factored into things.

They came out and scored 3 to start the half but that wasn't enough to swing momentum and that's why the Lions had no problem marching right back down the field on the ensuing drive.

If they kick the FG and go back up 17, then the 49ers are tight again and playing under pressure. That stop was a big play for them and it provided motivation and momentum and that's why it's also no coincidence that the Lions struggled to get into scoring position from there on out.

Do not underestimate the importance of momentum in a game, especially one of that magnitude. And if the Lions had just kicked the FG and made it, the 49ers and all the fans in the stadium would've been right back in dejected mode.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And another thing, those points that they scored so quickly were done so with all the momentum behind them and you cannot disregard how that factored into things.

They came out and scored 3 to start the half but that wasn't enough to swing momentum and that's why the Lions had no problem marching right back down the field on the ensuing drive.

If the kick the FG and go back up 17, then the 49ers are tight again and playing under pressure. That stop was a big play for them and it provided motivation and momentum and that's why it's also no coincidence that the Lions struggled to get into scoring position from there on out.

Do not underestimate the importance of momentum in a game, especially one of the magnitude. And if the Lions had just kicked the FG and made it, the 49ers and all the fans in the stadium would've been right back and dejected mode.

And then they had the huge lucky play that bounced off the defender's facemask and suddenly they're within one score and momentum is enormous the other way. That's all it took was one lucky bounce.

But if they're up 3 scores instead of 2? Then even that lucky bounce doesn't get them right back into the game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And then they had the huge lucky play that bounced off the defender's facemask and suddenly they're within one score and momentum is enormous the other way. That's all it took was one lucky bounce.

But if they're up 3 scores instead of 2? Then even that lucky bounce doesn't get them right back into the game.
Exactly.

Take Brock Purdy for example. His play was night and day from when the pressure was on them and when the momentum was behind him.

That shit matters no matter how much analytics bozos want to downplay it.

If there's one thing that he has shown this season is that he does not do well when the 49ers are in a hole and the offense isn't scheming their way to success.

And if the Lions had kept the momentum, my guess is that his struggles would've continued into the second half and we'd have a whole different narrative today about him and his play.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It was about as smart as getting tricky with offensive linemen reporting.
If they had somehow executed that play correctly, Im not real confident we defend it .

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
The very next play after Goodell presented the "Arik Armstead Award" the sack/fumble occurred, and who recovered the ball?

Yup... Arik Armstead.

Coincidence? :unsure

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I never liked it and didn't need hindsight to feel that way because I've always been a huge proponent of kicking the FG if it extends the possessions required for the opponent.

I've been consistent with this every time the Cowboys do the same dumb shit as Campbell did yesterday.

I just don't think you EVER bypass the FG if it extends the possessions for the opponent.
That's my position as well. Again, that's situational football. A head coach needs to understand where they are at any point in a game. And, if you have the chance to increase your lead (or return it to 17 points) by kicking that FG and then have a shot at another does a number of things: first and foremost, it increases the number of possessions that the 49ers need to come back. Shorten the game and force them into desperation plays, which creates opportunities for them to make mistakes and turn the ball over. Second, it keeps the momentum away from the 49ers. Let's not forget that they scored a TD after Detroit's first failed 4th down conversion. That resulted in a 10 point swing late in the 3rd. Kick the FG? Totally different set of circumstances.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Campbell carries the macho shit too far. It's one thing to project a hell-for-leather, go for broke culture, but it's another thing to take stupid chances.

Nobody will look back at that game and say, wasn't he a wonderful, courageous coach. History will look back at that game, passing up that FG as reckless and stupid -- betting the family's grocery money because you thought you'd draw in inside straight. And meanwhile the kids go hungry.

data

Forbes #1
What a playoffs. Goodell is a chode, but man knows how to execute.
  • Cowboys epic choke
  • Norwood 2.0
  • Taylor Swift
  • Snow delay drama
  • Baker Mayfield
  • Detroit collapse

data

Forbes #1
Lost in all the 4th down madness, the Lions struck out on all of their Jap plays . Three, I think. Two flea flickers and a HB-lateral-to-Goff?

Top Bottom