2023 Random NFL Stuff Thread…

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hate the 4th and 20 idea.
It would pressure refs to not give away an easy first down on a defensive penalty like hands-to-face or holding, and that would then encourage rough defensive play, which might make the play extra hard anyway.

But I still like it better than onsides kicks which never, ever work and probably waste practice time. I also favor rules that use regular offense and defense to decide a game over specialized special teams plays.

Good conversation for a podcast

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Only losers would be in favor of this.
Fuck it, it’s interesting, I don’t care if the Eagles submitted it.

It’s a Hell of a lot more interesting than a kicker trying a spinny kick, and oh look the other team caught it. Again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fuck it, it’s interesting, I don’t care if the Eagles submitted it.

It’s a Hell of a lot more interesting than a kicker trying a spinny kick, and oh look the other team caught it. Again.
I don't care who proposed it, it's dumb and a gimmick

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't care who proposed it, it's dumb and a gimmick
Yep. You want to make onside kicks more interesting and actually possible again? Get rid of the retarded kicking rules and go back to how they could kick onside kicks even ten years ago. Allow the players to get a running start again

Its fuck near impossible to kick the ball ten yards into a stacked hands team and have a chance to recover it when your guys cant move until the ball is gone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Nah, it's harry high school nonsense.
Yeah, though still more interesting than an onsides kick. Even before the rule change that disallowed stacking one side and using a running start, the odds of success were better but with proven increased chance of injury on a play that takes forever to set up without resembling most of the way actual football is played.

If we’re targeting a 15% chance of success, then I prefer watching an actual football play over it ten times out of ten.

It only sounds like a gimmick because we are used to something else.

Someone totally new to football would most likely think the exact opposite, that this weird kicking play where the ball has to travel 10 yards before the kicking team can touch it is the actual gimmick.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah, though still more interesting than an onsides kick. Even before the rule change that disallowed stacking one side and using a running start, the odds of success were better but with proven increased chance of injury on a play that takes forever to set up without resembling most of the way actual football is played.

If we’re targeting a 15% chance of success, then I prefer watching an actual football play over it ten times out of ten.

It only sounds like a gimmick because we are used to something else.

Someone totally new to football would most likely think the exact opposite, that this weird kicking play where the ball has to travel 10 yards before the kicking team can touch it is the actual gimmick.
Kickoffs (including on side kicks) actually are football and have been basically forever.

Arbitrarily placing a ball at a spot, down and distance is not football.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep, after you score and try your extra point(s), you kick. You don't keep the ball and try some gimmicky tricked up play from your own 30 or whatever.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep, after you score and try your extra point(s), you kick. You don't keep the ball and try some gimmicky tricked up play from your own 30 or whatever.
It would be from your own 20, and it's a ridiculous idea.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Good. This all but eliminates a TE in a higher round for them. Waller does not concern me that much since he has not done a lot since 2020 and is now 30 years old.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's a pretty interesting boom-or-bust move for them, though.

Hope he doesn't revert to his better form, but I'm not that worried about it, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom