2023 Random NFL Stuff Thread…

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a pretty interesting boom-or-bust move for them, though.

Hope he doesn't revert to his better form, but I'm not that worried about it, either.
My biggest concern is they wake up and figure out that a high shelf WR is their need.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Good. This all but eliminates a TE in a higher round for them. Waller does not concern me that much since he has not done a lot since 2020 and is now 30 years old.
He's more focused on helping homeless people than he is playing football now that he's paid. Turns 31 during the year, he might give them one good year, which is to mean about 10-12 good games since he's always hurt.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Which is what happens on a touchback, which itself has changed in recent years.

Bottom line, football is what the NFL decides it is.

Except after a touchback it has to be placed somewhere , so I don't think I'd quite call that arbitrary.

And, these were rules that were established at or close to the onset, which is when the rules of a game should be established. Not 100 years later when it's been working fine up until this time. If you establish rules and then arbitrarily change them whenever the spirit moves you, it undermines confidence in the game.

This potentially changes quite a lot.

The NFL "decided" what NFL football is a long time ago. But, once established you can't just eschew your long standing rules for the sake of a specious benefit.

"From now on, if you hit the football with a baseball bat into the end zone, it will be considered a 'home run'. All offensive players on the field will be considered to have 'scored' and the offense is rewarded a point for each such player."

"Football is what the NFL decides it is."

Right?

Or maybe, just maybe, if they veer too far away from what has been long established as part of the game, it's not ok.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Except after a touchback it has to be placed somewhere , so I don't think I'd quite call that arbitrary.

And, these were rules that were established at or close to the onset, which is when the rules of a game should be established. Not 100 years later when it's been working fine up until this time. If you establish rules and then arbitrarily change them whenever the spirit moves you, it undermines confidence in the game.

This potentially changes quite a lot.

The NFL "decided" what NFL football is a long time ago. But, once established you can't just eschew your long standing rules for the sake of a specious benefit.

"From now on, if you hit the football with a baseball bat into the end zone, it will be considered a 'home run'. All offensive players on the field will be considered to have 'scored' and the offense is rewarded a point for each such player."

"Football is what the NFL decides it is."

Right?

Or maybe, just maybe, if they veer too far away from what has been long established as part of the game, it's not ok.
You and I may be the board's only traditionalists.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I’d say the most arbitrary placement of the ball is after a punt goes out of bounds. Probably the most inaccurate and sloppily conducted event in the game.
Is it? My dad who was an engineer always said if you do the procedure properly it actually was pretty accurate. :shrug

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Gengh and Iamtdg in 1906: "They're ruining the game with this gimmicky forward pass. Just run the damn ball!!!!"

:lol
I am a traditionalist too but if it actually helps the game, fine. It is the gimmick things that violate the nature of the game that bother me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a traditionalist too but if it actually helps the game, fine. It is the gimmick things that violate the nature of the game that bother me.
They should put a goal post inside the goal post and those field goals are worth 4 points. If you score a TD outside of 50 yards it should be worth 10 points! Let's make the game more fun!

Nope I hate gimmicky changes too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do wonder, was there outrage when they moved the goal posts to the back of the endzone?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I do wonder, was there outrage when they moved the goal posts to the back of the endzone?
Sheeeeit, Geng and I led the protests. He manned the megaphone and I held up a sign and shit. It was epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom