2023 NFL Preseason Week 2 Gameday Chatter Thread | 08/17/2023-08/20/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is why Martin is so important, the NFC East has probably the best group of DT's in the league between these two, Allen and Payne, plus Cox.

On the other hand, the Panthers have a bottom 5 OL in the league and we've handled these division DT's just fine for a while now.
It is also when the Tyron Smith injury occurs, who the eff goes there. Get Richards ready.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Lawrence is a beast, but I have no idea what happened to the Panthers' OL. They kept Campen and most of the personnel from a group that was decent last season, yet they are out there getting clowned physically so far.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It is also when the Tyron Smith injury occurs, who the eff goes there. Get Richards ready.
Yea that's been my biggest concern since the draft after McGovern left. I hope they bring back Peters in that scenario but who knows?

OL is probably the most likely position for our first next year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not necessarily 1st, but I think definitely rounds 1-3.
We damn near went OL this year, what do you think is more likely next year?

There are a few spots that are arguably as likely but all things being equal I think OL is at least tied at the top of the needs list.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

There are a few spots that are arguably as likely but all things being equal I think OL is at least tied at the top of the needs list.
From the looks of things we will not be alone.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I think it's possible but it depends how the season (and draft position) plays out.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Mazi made plays like that against the Jags.
He made some plays. And sure there’s a learning curve and it’s only been one game, etc. I do have a suspicion that we overpaid for a run stuffer that could have been had in the later rounds, like Riley. But we will see.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Well, at least it wasn’t just us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He made some plays. And sure there’s a learning curve and it’s only been one game, etc. I do have a suspicion that we overpaid for a run stuffer that could have been had in the later rounds, like Riley. But we will see.
Perhaps but I know for a fact that Mazi has significantly more upside as a pass rusher in terms of his athleticism and burst. It's anybody's guess as to what extent he'll fulfill that potential, but that combined with his ability to stuff the run was the reason he was always going top 35-40.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Of course, I'm not saying OL is more likely than all the other positions, just more likely than any other position individually.

Probably right now that's true, but I'm just saying it's very premature to know one way or another. If guys like Richards or say Walesko are needed and step up in a significant way, it changes a lot.

Also other positions have yet to play out. What do we do with Pollard after the season? How does Cooks work out? How does Gallup look? How does Gilmore work out? How does Bland look in year 2? What do we do in FA (I know, LOL).

There are a million variables that have yet to play out that can change our thinking 8 months from now.

I think we'll want another premium OL in regardless, but how we prioritize that (1st, 2nd, 3rd) has yet to be written. Not to mention, how the college season plays out, who's going to be there at our slot, where the slot is, etc.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yea that's been my biggest concern since the draft after McGovern left. I hope they bring back Peters in that scenario but who knows?

OL is probably the most likely position for our first next year.
This is the Achilles Heel of 2023, not Dak.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is the Achilles Heel of 2023, not Dak.
Yea my only hope is that the coaches have to know it's a very distinct possibility if not a likelihood, so there must be a plan of some sort in place. Could be giving them way too much credit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom