2023 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Kincaid sounds agreeable to me because he was a damn good player and the biggest playmaking TE in the draft.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Pick

Dallas Cowboys

Mazi Smith

Michigan · DT · Junior (RS)
There are a very limited number of a big-bodied interior defenders in this class, so those guys could get pushed up the board, which is what happens here. Dallas needs to beef up in the middle, and Smith offers above-average athletic talent to go with good size and length.

• Love
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Pick

Dallas Cowboys

Mazi Smith

There are a very limited number of a big-bodied interior defenders in this class, so those guys could get pushed up the board, which is what happens here. Dallas needs to beef up in the middle, and Smith offers above-average athletic talent to go with good size and length.
I think what gets people is the sack production in college. And in fairness it gets me too sometimes. But a great example is Daron Payne who had like 3 sacks total in 3 years at Alabama. He was a NT. Guy just put up 11.5 sacks last year alone for the Redskins. Not saying Mazi is Payne but sometimes with DT's what they did in college doesn't indicate what they are fully capable of. And you'll see some of that with Mazi when you watch him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Alright this shit is getting fucked up right now.
Yeah it makes me nervous as shit because I feel like as good as the Cowboys are at holding their cards tight, sometimes we start to hear a name right before the draft and then we take him. I feel like there was some of that with Tyler last year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't know what makes me more angry. The thought of Musgrave at 26 or the use of the term - Tuddies. Get that shit out of here.
Agreed on all counts. Shit like that drives me nuts. Just fucking type touchdown or TD. You don’t sound cool calling it a damn tuddie. You sound like an idiot.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Floored? I will be intensely angry.
This definitely feels like people just throwing us the next TE on the board because they think we need a TE.

First, I think it's unlikely that both Mayer and Kincaid are gone by 26. Second, I find it hard to believe that they like Musgrave enough to take him over other guys who would've dropped in the scenario that both Mayer/Kincaid are gone by 26 given how often Stephen has mentioned how strong this TE class is down through the 3rd/4th rounds.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This definitely feels like people just throwing us the next TE on the board because they think we need a TE.

First, I think it's unlikely that both Mayer and Kincaid are gone by 26. Second, I find it hard to believe that they like Musgrave enough to take him over other guys who would've dropped in the scenario that both Mayer/Kincaid are gone by 26 given how often Stephen has mentioned how strong this TE class is down through the 3rd/4th rounds.
Yeah, in the McShay mock he had Mayer and Kincaid gone, which was the same situation in the other mock that gave us Musgrave. So my hope is this is just people convinced we are locked into TE in the first.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep, they've been pretty open the last several years about how they decide between two closely-rated players... they take the one from the shallower position group, thinking they can get one from the deeper group in the next round or two.

Though I guess in this case, you might think the better tier of player won't be around until our second rounder. That's how a lot of those sims turned out. But you still shouldn't reach just because of that.

shoop

Semi-contributing member

Pick

Dallas Cowboys

Mazi Smith

I wish he was a second round option for us but I think he is perfectly suited to what we need. I would like this pick a lot

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom