2023 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Intrigue surrounded the Cowboys as their pick in the first round approached. Were they targeting Dalton Kincaid, the tight end Buffalo landed after trading ahead of Dallas? It seemed plausible after the Cowboys let veteran tight end Dalton Schultz leave in free agency. The Bills said they had “a good feeling” Kincaid was going to be Dallas’ man.

“That’s a dangerous game to play, because what if Dalton Kincaid isn’t the best tight end out there?” an exec said. “What if Dallas had (Michael) Mayer as their top tight end, but really wanted Mazi Smith all along? I’m old enough to remember when the Eagles outmaneuvered Houston for the tackle, Andre Dillard. How did that work out?”

Dallas got its Schultz replacement in the second round with Michigan’s Luke Schoonmaker. Smith, also from Michigan, delivers girth to a Dallas defense that must face within its own division the Giants’ Saquon Barkley, the Eagles’ innovative sneak packages and a Washington team with three runners weighting at least 220 pounds.

“I’m not a huge fan of taking a two-down nose high, but Mazi Smith is a good player,” another exec said. “He will control the middle of the field. He gives them some needed beef, he plays with leverage, he is strong, he has enough range to go tackle to tackle. He is good at what he does, even if you don’t love the skill set early in the draft.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel pretty confident we weren't taking Kincaid. But I'm sure the Bills want to appear like they made the right move and that they didn't move up for no reason. I think the Cowboys did an excellent job of making everyone think they were going TE before the draft for that very reason.

If we let our love for Mazi out it may have been the Chiefs jumping us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I listened to a Beane interview earlier and it sounded like they were speculating on who would go TE. He mentioned they were worried about the Chargers and then the Cowboys after that, so I don't think their move up was based on pure hard knowledge but rather informed guesswork.

Kincaid was seemingly their guy and they were worried about us (or the Chargers) taking him, there was no definitive inside knowledge.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Bengals have had one of the better defenses in the league the last two years, damn near winning a Super Bowl in the process, and it's largely been built around being very strong up the middle with guys like BJ Hill and DJ Reader who combine for maybe like 5 sacks a year at most.

But you'd have to actually watch games to notice things like that rather than spending all day trying to think of ways to look smart on Twitter in front of a bunch of morons.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, some people don't get it. But he will contribute to the pass rush, even if it's not sack numbers. That's what some people don't get. It's about giving a QB nowhere to step up.
If he contributes above Gallimore level in sacks, I am happy as sad as that damn sounds.

Top Bottom