2023 Cowboys Preseason Week 2 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Seahawks | 08/19/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I get what you are saying. But he wasn’t drafted at 3-5, he went at 9. And that’s my irritation with our FO.
My whole issue with Jones and the Mazi pick was all the slobbering and vomiting up all the realization and them finally admitting that DT has been a huge problem for years after they picked him. Yet they could have conceivably traded up to get an actual stud player in Carter and been set at the position for years. Mazi may end up being fine but I’m always irked how Jones always thinks he “stole one” from other teams when in actuality he’s just a terrible GM.
I do not fault the Cowboys a bit for not moving up into the top 10 for a character risk. Sorry, let somebody else with the draft capital to burn take that risk.

As for your last point, Unk...shit, the GM is not Jerry Jones. It isn't even Goof Son. Or McClay.

It would be some damn nice to have someone who could be held accountable.

They all just flop around and talk and communicate or whatever, but you can see clear patterns and fingerprints with the classes and I don't think it will work out, no matter how many times we do it.

But there is Jerry. Willing to take all the bullets because well, he likes the pain.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I am not quite I understand how this is team bonding.

Now if he took up some poor kid from rural Mississippi up in the air, I would get it.
Wut?
How would taking some poor kid up be team bonding, but spending time with actual team mates wouldn't be?

Are you self medicating again?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wut?
How would taking some poor kid up be team bonding, but spending time with actual team mates wouldn't be?

Are you self medicating again?
Why do you often ask questions you already know the answers to?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I do not fault the Cowboys a bit for not moving up into the top 10 for a character risk. Sorry, let somebody else with the draft capital to burn take that risk.

As for your last point, Unk...shit, the GM is not Jerry Jones. It isn't even Goof Son. Or McClay.

It would be some damn nice to have someone who could be held accountable.

They all just flop around and talk and communicate or whatever, but you can see clear patterns and fingerprints with the classes and I don't think it will work out, no matter how many times we do it.

But there is Jerry. Willing to take all the bullets because well, he likes the pain.
They take physical risks all the time, it’s been Jerrys MO for 3 decades. Sign this guy, he would have been a first rounder dangnabbit if not for blowing out his knee but don’t you worry, I looked at the X rays. You might say ol Jer hasn’t been as risky the last 4-5 years, but there’s still been a few roll the dice moments.
There’s character risk and there’s CHARACTER risk. And shit, Carters “character risk” was pretty minimal in the big picture.

A real GM looks at this team and sees they are probably as close as they’ve been in 10 years. Why not fucking go for it? Because, and you made a great point, we really don’t have an accountable GM.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Eh I'd put money that the guy doesn't pan out as a franchise player. I actually think his character is a much bigger issue than you give credit.
His character concerns are not non-existent but from what I can tell are not Albert Haynesworth caliber either. He’s the best defensive prospect in the draft, and had we drafted him we’d be totally spinning it the opposite way.

The Eagles got both Davis and Carter, and they are only going to get better

What I hang my hat on is we have the best defensive player in the league in Parsons and one of the best coaches in Quinn

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Let’s be fair though. The Skins have had a loaded DL for years and the Cowboys OL has been able to mostly negate it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Watching the all-22 of the OL with all the talk about Ball and here are my takeaways:

-Ball was fine but has only played RG over the first two preseason games, can he play LG if we have to shift Tyler outside? If he can play LG at the same level we might be ok for a few games, but he'd still be a liability overall.
-Waltezko was horrific and is lucky he got hurt to save himself from further embarrassment.
-Richards wasn't as good as I expected when I watched closer, he still looks good for a rookie 5th rounder but I don't think we can rely on him to play real games this year unless he improves a bunch behind closed doors. Still bullish on him for the future though.
-I think Hoffmann is going to get cut now that Farniok seems to be the backup center.
-Edoga better be what the front office thinks he is or they better have Peters on speed dial because I wouldn't trust a single one of these backup OT's/OG's to play more than about 1-2 games at most when Tyron is inevitably injured.
-Biadasz is a top 10 important player on the roster given our lack of depth and if I were the front office I'd be trying to extend him for about $8M/year, try to get a little discount in case he has another solid year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
His character concerns are not non-existent but from what I can tell are not Albert Haynesworth caliber either. He’s the best defensive prospect in the draft, and had we drafted him we’d be totally spinning it the opposite way.

The Eagles got both Davis and Carter, and they are only going to get better

What I hang my hat on is we have the best defensive player in the league in Parsons and one of the best coaches in Quinn
And they lost Hargrave and Cox will be retired within 12-24 months. It's unlikely Carter/Davis are ever any better as a duo than Cox/Hargrave were last year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Let’s be fair though. The Skins have had a loaded DL for years and the Cowboys OL has been able to mostly negate it.
It's pretty unlikely that Carter/Davis end up as a better duo than Payne/Allen. Carter might end up better than both Payne/Allen but Davis looks like a 2-down player only who needs to be heavily rotated because he can't handle more than about 30 snaps a game.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Eh I'd put money that the guy doesn't pan out as a franchise player. I actually think his character is a much bigger issue than you give credit.
Right. But since it's needed to grrrr at Jerry, it's not that bad now? GTFO. If we had drafted this guy, both fans and media alike would have shit all over the selection. And if/when he blows up and does something stupid? Oh yeah... Jerry pick all the way.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If anybody wants to check out why I was impressed with Fehoko:

-Q2/10:15 - bull rushes the Seattle starting center about 4 yards into the backfield on a stunt
-Q2/3:50 - beats backup TE clean into the backfield on a run, near TFL but didn't finish the tackle, ended up going for no gain because he blew up the play right off the snap
-Q3/8:10 - beats backup LT by crossing his face on an inside move, very impressive for his size
-Q4/8:01 - lines up as a 4i and does a nice job of stacking and shedding the LG to get in on a tackle on a run that went for a short gain
-Q4/7:22 - again a 4i this time on a passing play, beats the LG with a quick crossface inside move similar to what he did vs. the LT earlier

There were of course some plays where he got beat but with rookies like him you're really just looking for little hints at what kind of player they could develop into down the road. My main takeaway when we drafted him was that he had pretty advanced hand usage which I think will translate, it's also interesting how they moved him up and down the line, including 3T, 4i and traditional DE out in the C gap.

I think the plan might be to groom him this year to replace Armstrong next year since he's in a contract year. Armstrong isn't really a pure edge rusher and often times lined up on the interior as a pseudo 3T, he certainly doesn't have the pure explosiveness you want off the edge but wins on twists/stunts and using his power/length. I could easily see Fehoko turning into a similar player, but potentially even more versatile given his size/bulk.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Hill and these guys actually think we don't know any better than to only follow the ball and count sacks and tackles. Derp.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm sure they aren't worried because he's a rookie and not expected to play huge snaps, but last night Mazi was getting beat doing things dumbass Clarence describes as his job here.

There's about a 0.0% chance Mazi gets more snaps than Hankins to start off the season, which is about all you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom