2023 Cowboys Free Agency

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dean might just be their version of Jabril Cox.
It would be like if we let LVE go and did nothing to replace him and were banking on Damone Clark as our lead LB, if Clark had literally played like 0 snaps as a rookie.

While losing our best DL, and Malik Hooker, and potentially Donovan Wilson on top of that.

Not exactly a 1:1 comparison but that's basically what they're looking at.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed, it's been solid, if they can add a guy like Cooks that'd be the cherry on top, but even if we don't I still feel comfortable saying that this should be a top 3 team in the NFC and arguably the favorite in the conference.
Cooks would definitely be my preference.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

This is so good, so between restructuring Lawrence which opened up about $9M in space we should be around $23M, plus the eventual $11M that we get from Elliott in June.

I think it's almost inevitable now that we either make a move at WR or potentially being back Schultz on a reduced salary, while bringing back guys like Fowler/Hankins/Rush and probably even Peters.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not sure that Cooks is better than Gallup.
He has like 5 1,000 yard seasons and was damn close to one last year with literally the shittiest QB situation in the league, he's definitely better than Gallup unless Gallup returns to his peak 2019 form.

Cooks has consistently been at Gallup-2019 level and has the speed to stretch the field.

It's a no brainer if we can get him for like a 4th.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And Tyron is an actual team legend and future HOF'er. Elliott got more attention because of the position he played but his impact doesn't get close to that of Tyron's.

It's just a shame that at least half the fanbase will never realize that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is awesome and shows how much of a team player he is, I doubt he'll ever play elsewhere and will probably be flexible with the money he asks for as long as he still wants to play.
It's like the opposite of a guaranteed deal. He literally gets peanuts if he doesn't play much. He gets paid like a king if he stays healthy. 9 mil if he plays most of the season. That's zero if he doesn't play half the season.

p1_

DCC 4Life

This is awesome and shows how much of a team player he is, I doubt he'll ever play elsewhere and will probably be flexible with the money he asks for as long as he still wants to play.
I dont see where anyone has commented about the terrm of one year. That caught my eye.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And Tyron is an actual team legend and future HOF'er. Elliott got more attention because of the position he played but his impact doesn't get close to that of Tyron's.

It's just a shame that at least half the fanbase will never realize that.
Just the nature of the position I believe. Lineman do kinda toil in obscurity, to most folk. The Tyron Smiths, Larry Allens, Erik Williams are every bit as worthy as the Zekes and the Emmitts.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He has like 5 1,000 yard seasons and was damn close to one last year with literally the shittiest QB situation in the league, he's definitely better than Gallup unless Gallup returns to his peak 2019 form.

Cooks has consistently been at Gallup-2019 level and has the speed to stretch the field.

It's a no brainer if we can get him for like a 4th.
Granted the team was bad, but he's 29 and was the Texans' leading WR with 57 catches.

I don't want to give up a first like with Cooper but I'd like someone with a little more upside and tread on the tires.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I hope Tyron Smith plays another half decade here.

In my mind he's still 28. He was drafted at like age 20, he can't be that old.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Granted the team was bad, but he's 29 and was the Texans' leading WR with 57 catches.

I don't want to give up a first like with Cooper but I'd like someone with a little more upside and tread on the tires.
Yea we shouldn't be giving up significant resources for him but I don't think there's a huge gap between him and someone like Cooper, he's slightly older at this point, but talent wise they aren't that far apart.

I'd give up a 4 for him and count it as a win, wouldn't want to do much more than that though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yea we shouldn't be giving up significant resources for him but I don't think there's a huge gap between him and someone like Cooper, he's slightly older at this point, but talent wise they aren't that far apart.

I'd give up a 4 for him and count it as a win, wouldn't want to do much more than that though.
I actually think there's a huge difference. Cooks had 57 receptions, 3 TDs, and 11.9 ypc.

Cooper had 78 receptions and 14.9 ypc, 9 TDs, and is a year younger.

The latter is borderline #1 WR, elite #2 WR numbers.

The former is borderline #2 WR, elite #3 WR numbers.

There's like an entire order of magnitude between them.

Not saying Cooks wouldn't be helpful, but.... it also wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Gallup was straight up better than Cooks next year. Whereas I'm more interested in someone who can push Gallup back to that high-end third WR role.

I'll give another five for Cooks. Other than that I'm shopping elsewhere first.

Top Bottom