2023 Cowboys Free Agency

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have to admit to y'all that I have a nice feeling of calm the past couple of days.

We seem to be making smart, prudent decisions.

While it may appear we are getting lapped, just take a look around at our chief rivals in the Eagles and 49ers.

They are getting picked apart. Things are looking up.

This just means something bad is coming, like a Beckham signing.
Agreed, it's been solid, if they can add a guy like Cooks that'd be the cherry on top, but even if we don't I still feel comfortable saying that this should be a top 3 team in the NFC and arguably the favorite in the conference.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed, it's been solid, if they can add a guy like Cooks that'd be the cherry on top, but even if we don't I still feel comfortable saying that this should be a top 3 team in the NFC and arguably the favorite in the conference.
Cooks doesn't really excite me. I know beggars can't be choosers and all. Obviously he is better than anyone on our team not named Lamb. Just kind of a good receiver. I'll take him over nothing. But you have to wonder about a guy going onto his fifth team. He doesn't make me want to give up much. Maybe another comp fifth. I think I'd rather take a first round receiver.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just got done watching every target of Gilmore's from last year along with every snap from the Eagles, Raiders and Skins games, and all in all, pretty good.

He's certainly not a legit Pro Bowler anymore (maybe a fake Pro Bowler after 4 guys drop out that we have so many of these days) but he's a massive upgrade over Brown and there's no chance we're going to see QB's just throwing 50/50 prayer shots against him 3 times a game like teams were doing several games in a row against Brown before he got hurt.

He's not great crashing down to make tackles against bubble screens and such, and his short area quickness/burst seems to have faded so he can get beat on quick little isolation whip-type routes, but his technique and understanding of leverage is so strong it doesn't really matter much the majority of the time.

Officially he gave up 54 completions last year but a bunch of those were short little 5ish yard comebacks/outs when he was playing Off/Zone with a 8-10 yard cushion due to the coverage call where often times it's arguable whether or not the guy was even his responsibility at that depth. If I had to guess I'd say he was only legitimately beaten maybe 20-25 times all year, and almost never over the top, it was often intermediate crosser-type stuff where a WR would start out on one side of the field near the sideline and run nearly parallel all the way across to the other side of the field into vacated space against man coverage, which is basically impossible to stop and it's usually just the right play call catching the right coverage at the wrong time.

He was really solid against AJ Brown, McLaurin and Davante Adams, gave up a few little things here and there but was generally on top of them most of the day and held up well when challenged vertically down field. He was 1-on-1 against Adams in pure Man on 4th and 7 in the red zone on the game deciding play, up 25-20 with :52 left. Adams ran a stutter fade and it was basically a 50/50 jump ball, Adams got nowhere near it as Gilmore squeezed him towards the sideline leaving him no room to maneuver for the ball.

I almost never saw him beaten vertically downfield for big chunk 30+ yard plays. McLaurin had one miracle catch that basically won the game with like 20 seconds left but it was mostly a fluke with the QB scrambling around for about 6 seconds and Gilmore/McLaurin wrestling for the ball as they came down with Gilmore in perfect position. Reminded me of that random 50-yard jump ball TD Diggs gave up in 2021 against some scrub Redskins WR on the road when he was in perfect position and nearly had the pick but the WR came down with it.

I never thought CB was a huge need but having him around will be valuable considering we'll be going up against Brown/Smith and McLaurin/Dotson 4 times next year. The front office not feeling like they have to spend a 1 on a CB will be even more valuable.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

not so fast.
Not really, Cox is a shell of his former self and will obviously be another year older and Bradberry is average to begin with, I'm not even sure he'd be one of our top 3 CB's.

They re-signed Cox and Graham, both of whom are on their last legs and could break down at literally any moment. Both of them were considering retirement before last year but now I'm to expect they're going to be stalwarts that will anchor their defense just because they had nice stats in 2022 during a year where literally everything fell the Eagles way and they were allowed to be heavily rotated?

It's not 2017 anymore.

In terms of losses, Hargrave was arguably their best DL, certainly their best DT, and they also lost their highest snapped safety and two highest snapped LB's, both of which were in their top 5 in snaps played. If they can manage to bring back Gardner-Johnson they'll only be somewhat fucked, as opposed to completely fucked if they lose him.

TJ Edwards and Kyzir White aren't big names but they were their only legitimate off-ball LB's who played any snaps last year and Edwards played almost every snap. People assume Nakobe Dean is going to fly in with a cape on because they recognize his name but the guy played literally about 10 defensive snaps last year, it's hard for me to believe he's going to waltz in and play 900 snaps at a high level.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not really, Cox is a shell of his former self and will obviously be another year older and Bradberry is average to begin with, I'm not even sure he'd be one of our top 3 CB's.

They re-signed Cox and Graham, both of whom are on their last legs and could break down at literally any moment. Both of them were considering retirement before last year but now I'm to expect they're going to be stalwarts that will anchor their defense just because they had nice stats in 2022 during a year where literally everything fell the Eagles way and they were allowed to be heavily rotated?

It's not 2017 anymore.

In terms of losses, Hargrave was arguably their best DL, certainly their best DT, and they also lost their highest snapped safety and two highest snapped LB's, both of which were in their top 5 in snaps played. If they can manage to bring back Gardner-Johnson they'll only be somewhat fucked, as opposed to completely fucked if they lose him.

TJ Edwards and Kyzir White aren't big names but they were their only legitimate off-ball LB's who played any snaps last year and Edwards played almost every snap. People assume Nakobe Dean is going to fly in with a cape on because they recognize his name but the guy played literally about 10 defensive snaps last year, it's hard for me to believe he's going to waltz in and play 900 snaps at a high level.
Dean might just be their version of Jabril Cox.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cooks doesn't really excite me. I know beggars can't be choosers and all. Obviously he is better than anyone on our team not named Lamb. Just kind of a good receiver. I'll take him over nothing. But you have to wonder about a guy going onto his fifth team. He doesn't make me want to give up much. Maybe another comp fifth. I think I'd rather take a first round receiver.
I'm not sure that Cooks is better than Gallup.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is a dumb take. The three top free agent RBs were franchised. Of course is Sanders that far below Pollard and he got what, 6 a year? Of course we could technically rescind the franchise tag if we wanted, right?
Pretty sure you can always reach an actual contract agreement.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure you can always reach an actual contract agreement.
You can do that until like July 15th or something. So yeah, I mean we can still do that. The other obvious advantage to the franchise tag is that you're not locked in long term. If you see signs that Pollard is starting to wear out, you can move on with no long term harm. You aren't stuck with 10 mil of dead cap like we are with Zeke right now.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
I have to admit to y'all that I have a nice feeling of calm the past couple of days.

We seem to be making smart, prudent decisions.

While it may appear we are getting lapped, just take a look around at our chief rivals in the Eagles and 49ers.

They are getting picked apart. Things are looking up.
This post is scaring me.

This just means something bad is coming, like a Beckham signing.
I feel better now.

Top Bottom