2023 Cowboys Free Agency

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm loath to give up firsts for almost anyone. I didn't even like giving up a first when we did it for Cooper and I love Cooper.
Sometimes you have to pull the trigger to get that little extra. I wouldn't do it if we weren't so close but really who is there at 26 that would do that for you? We may not even get a guy that will start this year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sometimes you have to pull the trigger to get that little extra. I wouldn't do it if we weren't so close but really who is there at 26 that would do that for you? We may not even get a guy that will start this year.
And this dude is plug and play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For Simmons? He is in his prime and better than anyone at his position that is in this draft. I would certainly do it.
The problem is he wants out because he is in a contract year and wants to make bank. The pick for him is fine but the pick plus a 20 mil per year contract is what is hard to pull off. There is a difference between a rookie for 5 years on the cheap and a guy in his prime wanting to break the bank.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm loath to give up firsts for almost anyone. I didn't even like giving up a first when we did it for Cooper and I love Cooper.
I'll be honest I do too. I get the argument for doing it but the contract is the real difficult part in these trades. You're not just giving up a first round pick. You're giving up a player on a cheap contract for the next 5 years.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The problem is he wants out because he is in a contract year and wants to make bank. The pick for him is fine but the pick plus a 20 mil per year contract is what is hard to pull off. There is a difference between a rookie for 5 years on the cheap and a guy in his prime wanting to break the bank.
An even better reason. A motivated Simmons.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
For Simmons? He is in his prime and better than anyone at his position that is in this draft. I would certainly do it.
Simmons is arguably the best DT in the league after Donald, I'd give up 26 and a 4 for him and then would be more than happy to give him 24/year.

But that would never happen obviously.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Simmons is a significantly better player than Cooper and at a significantly more important position relative to how this team is built.

It's not a stretch to say that he's a top 5 defensive player in the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simmons is arguably the best DT in the league after Donald, I'd give up 26 and a 4 for him and then would be more than happy to give him 24/year.

But that would never happen obviously.
Yeah, hell I remember wanting to draft him. I agree he is a talented dude. But no way the Cowboys are willing to give him 20+ mil a year and a first round pick and a fourth.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A 1st and a 4th? No damn way. Nope.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Yeah, fuck that

Top Bottom