Not open for further replies.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Hmm. Ben Grimaldi also says this:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think he could use some help but isn't that what fucking McCarthy is here for. He is an experienced offensive coordinator. I sometimes wonder what McCarthy is doing.
Actually part of me thinks Moore was sort of forced on him and the deal when he signed on with Jerry was that Moore was still going to run the offense and maybe McCarthy sort of resents it and doesn't help him as a result. But I would think McCarthy sure as shit should know what to do on offense.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I don't know Ben Grimaldi but he can GTFOH with that noise.

It doesn't take an entire offseason for a decent NFL coordinator to adjust to what opponents are doing to them. Kellen Moore had over 2 months to adjust. That's plenty of time.

Say he comes back next season and he's finally made adjustments to counter what defenses did against his 2021 offense. So what happens when 5 or 6 games into the 2022 season NFL defensive coordinators start making adjustments to counter Moore's new adjustments. Are we supposed to wait until the 2023 season for Moore to finally draft up new adjustments?

No thanks. Give me an OC who can make effective adjustments DURING the season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know Ben Grimaldi but he can GTFOH with that noise.

It doesn't take an entire offseason for a decent NFL coordinator to adjust to what opponents are doing to them. Kellen Moore had over 2 months to adjust. That's plenty of time.

Say he comes back next season and he's finally made adjustments to counter what defenses did against his 2021 offense. So what happens when 5 or 6 games into the 2022 season NFL defensive coordinators start making adjustments to counter Moore's new adjustments. Are we supposed to wait until the 2023 season for Moore to finally draft up new adjustments?

No thanks. Give me an OC who can make effective adjustments DURING the season.
That's actually what Jerry was saying. Fix shit during the season. You can't wait til the offseason to then say we will address penalties and fix these things.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Actually part of me thinks Moore was sort of forced on him and the deal when he signed on with Jerry was that Moore was still going to run the offense and maybe McCarthy sort of resents it and doesn't help him as a result.

That doesn't make any sense. I don't think any rational sane person would do this.

First, not helping him would only hurt himself. It would expedite his getting fired here, and be an impediment to getting hired for another HC job afterwards.

Second, helping Moore would essentially be helping him get out of here because he's been a HC candidate multiple places both last season and this season. If McCarthy really resented Moore the best he could do is help him because it would get him out of here faster.

Also, there's no chance McCarthy would take this job if he resented Moore and didn't believe he was any good. He'd just wait for a different job. His resume would have gotten him hired elsewhere (and I believe he had other opportunities even when we hired him).

Honestly, we don't know what McCarthy is or isn't involved with behind the scenes.

For example, one of the last games of the season the broadcasters were talking about how Quinn told them that he himself credits McCarthy for all the turnovers the defense is getting. McCarthy apparently has specific drills that he makes the defense do to emphasize turnovers.

McCarthy is very very likely doing way more than people think.

This notion that since McCarthy is a walk around coach, all he does is get massages and clap all day is frankly retarded.

That's not to say that McCarthy doesn't let Moore do his thing, because I believe he does for the most part. But I do believe McCarthy at the very least gives input into the offense. We just don't know to what extent.

Personally, I would like to see McCarthy completely take over. But I'm guessing McCarthy has at least a feel for when and whether that needs to happen.

And there's precedent for that.

McCarthy had to retake play calling duties in 2015 with the Packers from one of his assistants. I'm sure he would again if he felt it was warranted. He still might. I said this before but I doubt we do anything while Moore is officially still a candidate at other places.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Actually, wouldn't coordinators -- especially an OC -- make adjustments not just DURING the season but game to game? Watching these better teams during the playoffs you can see the offenses taking what the defense gives them. Sometimes that's just dink and dunk pass plays. Get the ball out of the QB's hands.

If I recall, Garrett's offensive philosophy was, We're going to run a set number of plays, regardless. We rely on our players and execution being better than the other guy's. Needless to say that sucked and never worked. Looking at the tape of the SF game I wonder if Moore inherited a certain amount of that approach.

Dak was taking deep drops, waiting for long-developing pass routes. Seemed like vintage Garrett to me.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
That doesn't make any sense. I don't think any rational sane person would do this.

First, not helping him would only hurt himself. It would expedite his getting fired here, and be an impediment to getting hired for another HC job afterwards.

Second, helping Moore would essentially be helping him get out of here because he's been a HC candidate multiple places both last season and this season. If McCarthy really resented Moore the best he could do is help him because it would get him out of here faster.

Also, there's no chance McCarthy would take this job if he resented Moore and didn't believe he was any good. He'd just wait for a different job. His resume would have gotten him hired elsewhere (and I believe he had other opportunities even when we hired him).

Honestly, we don't know what McCarthy is or isn't involved with behind the scenes.

For example, one of the last games of the season the broadcasters were talking about how Quinn told them that he himself credits McCarthy for all the turnovers the defense is getting. McCarthy apparently has specific drills that he makes the defense do to emphasize turnovers.

McCarthy is very very likely doing way more than people think.

This notion that since McCarthy is a walk around coach, all he does is get massages and clap all day is frankly retarded.

That's not to say that McCarthy doesn't let Moore do his thing, because I believe he does for the most part. But I do believe McCarthy at the very least gives input into the offense. We just don't know to what extent.

Personally, I would like to see McCarthy completely take over. But I'm guessing McCarthy has at least a feel for when and whether that needs to happen.

And there's precedent for that.

McCarthy had to retake play calling duties in 2015 with the Packers from one of his assistants. I'm sure he would again if he felt it was warranted. He still might. I said this before but I doubt we do anything while Moore is officially still a candidate at other places.
I remember near the end of McCarthy's time in GB that Rodgers was openly mocking his play calls.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Actually, wouldn't coordinators -- especially an OC -- make adjustments not just DURING the season but game to game? Watching these better teams during the playoffs you can see the offenses taking what the defense gives them. Sometimes that's just dink and dunk pass plays. Get the ball out of the QB's hands.

If I recall, Garrett's offensive philosophy was, We're going to run a set number of plays, regardless. We rely on our players and execution being better than the other guy's. Needless to say that sucked and never worked. Looking at the tape of the SF game I wonder if Moore inherited a certain amount of that approach.

Dak was taking deep drops, waiting for long-developing pass routes. Seemed like vintage Garrett to me.
Coordinators -- especially an OC -- should make adjustments not just DURING the season or from game to game, but also within a given game. If what theyre doing isnt working, then there needs to be a change, within reason/capabilities. Adaptability.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I think he could use some help but isn't that what fucking McCarthy is here for. He is an experienced offensive coordinator. I sometimes wonder what McCarthy is doing.
Actually part of me thinks Moore was sort of forced on him and the deal when he signed on with Jerry was that Moore was still going to run the offense and maybe McCarthy sort of resents it and doesn't help him as a result. But I would think McCarthy sure as shit should know what to do on offense.
That would be really stupid, it's the definition of cut off one's nose to spite one's face.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
  • Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Actually part of me thinks Moore was sort of forced on him and the deal when he signed on with Jerry was that Moore was still going to run the offense
Of course Moore was forced on him. I mean MM’s response to that very question when he arrived was he was partly excited to come to Dallas because of Moore.

I mean how does that not ring as kiss-ass false? How would McCarthy even know of Moore let alone know him directly? He said something lame like he had watched film and liked what he saw.

So you choose your OC— arguably your most critical staff member— based on ‘some film’?

BS

That had Jerry written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom