2022 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They weren't signing FA in GB when he was there. The defense deteriorated in the end and the front office didn't really make a competent effort to fix it until he left. Laziness doesn't seem to be the issue.
I disagree:

Here’s the first chunk of the article that caused me to mutter an expletive. In reference to the perception that McCarthy began to check out late in his tenure with the Packers, Dunne wrote this: “About once a week, a meeting would start up and McCarthy was MIA. Players weren’t quite sure where he was while, for example, an assistant coach would run the team’s final prep on the Saturday before a game. Eventually, word leaked that McCarthy, the one calling plays on game day, was up in his office getting a massage during those meetings.”

Dunne reports that McCarthy’s massage therapist told a player that McCarthy would “sneak her up a back stairway” so that no one would realize that, while the team was working, the coach was not.

“If you’re not a part of meetings, and then you’re trying to be pissed about execution, nobody’s going to really respect you,” an unnamed former Packers front-office member told Dunne. “They’re going to look at you like, ‘Where have you been all week?’ It sounded like he was really just chilling.”

Of course there is some speculation that this was just rumors started by Aaron Rodgers who hated the guy by the end.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there evidence for this assertion?
I've seen it written about that it was part of the stipulation for McCarthy taking the job. But I don't think Jerry has come out and said it. McCarthy has never said it was forced upon him but of course he wouldn't.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I disagree:

Here’s the first chunk of the article that caused me to mutter an expletive. In reference to the perception that McCarthy began to check out late in his tenure with the Packers, Dunne wrote this: “About once a week, a meeting would start up and McCarthy was MIA. Players weren’t quite sure where he was while, for example, an assistant coach would run the team’s final prep on the Saturday before a game. Eventually, word leaked that McCarthy, the one calling plays on game day, was up in his office getting a massage during those meetings.”

Dunne reports that McCarthy’s massage therapist told a player that McCarthy would “sneak her up a back stairway” so that no one would realize that, while the team was working, the coach was not.

“If you’re not a part of meetings, and then you’re trying to be pissed about execution, nobody’s going to really respect you,” an unnamed former Packers front-office member told Dunne. “They’re going to look at you like, ‘Where have you been all week?’ It sounded like he was really just chilling.”

Of course there is some speculation that this was just rumors started by Aaron Rodgers who hated the guy by the end.

Yeah, obviously I'm familiar with that article.

It certainly strikes me as a PR hit piece. I'm at the very least skeptical.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, obviously I'm familiar with that article.

It certainly strikes me as a PR hit piece. I'm at the very least skeptical.
And I get being skeptical of it but I think anyone watching what happened there at the end could tell you that McCarthy had become stale and was in a rut. Hell it's why McCarthy took a year off of football. So yeah, I think having a little warmth under his butt isn't a bad thing. I don't know how anyone would say he didn't become complacent in Green Bay.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't either. Jones liked how he did in Garrett's final year and it is not like he was interested in disrupting Prescott.
Oh, yeah. I can see that. I misunderstood you thinking he wanted to keep Moore BECAUSE of Garrett.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Oh, yeah. I can see that. I misunderstood you thinking he wanted to keep Moore BECAUSE of Garrett.
Jones was smitten with Garrett and even would have hired him as a head coach had Wade Phillips not agreed to have him installed as OC prior to his hire. Totally different relationship with Moore. He probably thinks he is smart etc, but he doesn't appear nearly as in love with him like he was with Red Pube.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jones was smitten with Garrett and even would have hired him as a head coach had Wade Phillips not agreed to have him installed as OC prior to his hire. Totally different relationship with Moore. He probably thinks he is smart etc, but he doesn't appear nearly as in love with him like he was with Red Pube.
Getting nothing but a whole flaming pile of shit after 10 years of Garrett can do that to a person.

It's also why I don't think there's any chance Payton coaches anywhere else except Dallas if he chooses to return. There's just no way Jerry would spend damn near 20 years pining after him, trying to convince himself that Garrett could be his Payton, etc. and then let the opportunity to get Payton himself slip through his fingers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah Garrett was literally part of the family. I think Jerry thinks highly of Moore's offensive mind but I don't think Moore is buddies with Jerry in the same fashion. I don't think we will be seeing Moore cuddled up with Jerry's daughter in the draft room any time soon. It's definitely a different dynamic and one that I don't think Jerry will be heart broken to end.

But if you're expecting a team to fire their offensive coordinator after being #1 in the NFL in yards and points, that's probably not happening. Jerry isn't going to do that.

Genghis Khan

And I get being skeptical of it but I think anyone watching what happened there at the end could tell you that McCarthy had become stale and was in a rut. Hell it's why McCarthy took a year off of football. So yeah, I think having a little warmth under his butt isn't a bad thing. I don't know how anyone would say he didn't become complacent in Green Bay.

He and Rodgers were clearly having issues. The defense needed better players. Those were the main issues.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Green Bay splurged a bunch of money and draft picks on the defense right after he left, so there's that.
Yeah they were a lot like us before that. Build through the draft, free agency is scary.

And Rodgers is an asshole so I'm sure he was not easy to keep happy.

Genghis Khan

Retarded.

1. The Chiefs probably couldn't fit him under their cap.

2. The Chiefs first will be so late in the round it might as well be a second.

3. Cooper might be our best offensive player and Dak was straight up garbage before we got him.

Gallup doesn't seem like a #1 and Lamb and Dak seem to have some chemistry issues.

Why would we do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom