2022 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree with @Genghis Khan that McCarthy does more than we see, and recall the positive trend with forced turnovers started towards the end of 2020, before Quinn arrived.

But I believe he was ‘encouraged’ to take Moore as his OC.

Jerry has a history of this— not all of it bad either. Zimmer and Parcells was the same situation, and that worked well in 2003.

Thing is, Parcells wanted a 3-4 and so I don’t think he’d have chosen Zimmer had it been all his choice to start with. He needed him while they still had 4-3 personnel, but no longer after that.

Bottom line coaches should 100% hire their own staffs.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Jerry has a history of this— not all of it bad either. Zimmer and Parcells was the same situation, and that worked well in 2003.

Thing is, Parcells wanted a 3-4 and so I don’t think he’d have chosen Zimmer had it been all his choice to start with. He needed him while they still had 4-3 personnel, but no longer after that.

I believe Jerry suggested Zimmer to Parcells, and it turned out that Parcells loved Zimmer. I don't believe Jerry forced Zimmer on him. I don't believe Parcells takes the job if that was the case.

I would guess the same happened with Moore and McCarthy. I believe Jerry suggested, granted probably strongly, that Moore be retained as OC. I don't believe it was a condition of employment. I think McCarthy liked him.

That's not to say that Jerry is above forcing an assistant on a HC. Obviously when Wade was hired he had no choice but to take on Garrett.

But I don't see any real evidence that Jerry feels about Moore the same way he felt about Garrett.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Of course Moore was forced on him. I mean MM’s response to that very question when he arrived was he was partly excited to come to Dallas because of Moore.

I mean how does that not ring as kiss-ass false? How would McCarthy even know of Moore let alone know him directly? He said something lame like he had watched film and liked what he saw.

So you choose your OC— arguably your most critical staff member— based on ‘some film’?

BS

That had Jerry written all over it.
Perhaps. But you have to think where McCarthy was in terms of his staff.
I believe Jerry suggested Zimmer to Parcells, and it turned out that Parcells loved Zimmer. I don't believe Jerry forced Zimmer on him. I don't believe Parcells takes the job if that was the case.

I would guess the same happened with Moore and McCarthy. I believe Jerry suggested, granted probably strongly, that Moore be retained as OC. I don't believe it was a condition of employment. I think McCarthy liked him.

That's not to say that Jerry is above forcing an assistant on a HC. Obviously when Wade was hired he had no choice but to take on Garrett.

But I don't see any real evidence that Jerry feels about Moore the same way he felt about Garrett.
Also...who would McCarthy counter with if he did not want Moore? Philbin?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
We're talking about McCarthy, or did I read this wrong? I thought he meant McCarthy "sabotaging" Moore...
I meant the part about Jerry hiring an offensive coach but then forcing his (and Dak's) boy Moore on him.

I didn't buy this for a long time, but as the season wore on and Mike was still making jokes when asked about how hard it was to not call plays... well, the more I thought that was a real possibility.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I meant the part about Jerry hiring an offensive coach but then forcing his (and Dak's) boy Moore on him.

I didn't buy this for a long time, but as the season wore on and Mike was still making jokes when asked about how hard it was to not call plays... well, the more I thought that was a real possibility.
You have to remember, near the end in GB, he relinquished the play calling to Tom Clements.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You have to remember, near the end in GB, he relinquished the play calling to Tom Clements.
And shortly took it back and said he'd never do that again.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Kind of wish this didn't happen because he seems like a bit of a flake to me and he has a long way to go in terms of his development.
Hopefully being named an alternate will be somewhat insulting in that he thinks he should be a starter.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jerry's turning 80 this year. He can't afford to be patient.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be really stupid, it's the definition of cut off one's nose to spite one's face.
Oh I agree, I'm just trying to figure out why an experienced offensive coordinator like McCarthy can't help the offense adjust to what defenses are doing. Unless he isn't really focusing on offense on game day the way we all think he would. I mean McCarthy was once a pretty well thought of play caller in the NFL. So is he really not that good at offense, or else why is Kellen Moore not learning this stuff from him?

And yes, part of the package when McCarthy signed up for the job was that he had to keep Kellen Moore calling play on offense. So I am a little curious how that working relationship is going considering McCarthy was a play caller. I mean that has to be a little bit of a jab to a guy who has been a play calling head coach in the past.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean I think uncomfortable is a good thing with McCarthy. I actually think he got lazy in Green Bay because he got too comfortable. Which ultimately led the him being fired and then all the stuff coming out about him sort of not working very hard.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I mean I think uncomfortable is a good thing with McCarthy. I actually think he got lazy in Green Bay because he got too comfortable. Which ultimately led the him being fired and then all the stuff coming out about him sort of not working very hard.

They weren't signing FA in GB when he was there. The defense deteriorated in the end and the front office didn't really make a competent effort to fix it until he left. Laziness doesn't seem to be the issue.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don’t buy that Garrett had anything to do with it. It’s not like he was Garrett’s guy.
I don't either. Jones liked how he did in Garrett's final year and it is not like he was interested in disrupting Prescott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom