2022 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They literally do not believe they can improve the team with high quality players from other teams, they think they can purely draft their way to a Super Bowl with basically no outside improvement, it's completely perverse.
You just can't let assets walk out the door for nothing if this is your strategy. I love building through the draft. But then you have to retain your players and if you do let them go you need to get draft capital in return. If you do neither of these things you just can't progress. You just get stuck continually needing to nail the draft to replace the guys you lose every year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
sorry for the nitpick, but Jerry would sign quality FA players. Stephen lacks any sense of balance in this regard, he seems to think FA is a foolish pursuit. Such a stubborn bastard.
I agree, and conversely Jerry was a complete schmuck with regard to being prudent in the draft whereas Stephen seems pretty solid in terms of letting the football people do their thing.

If we could just combine the two we'd be in decent shape, but here we are.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I agree, and conversely Jerry was a complete schmuck with regard to being prudent in the draft whereas Stephen seems pretty solid in terms of letting the football people do their thing.

If we could just combine the two we'd be in decent shape, but here we are.
I think Jerry has ceded personnel power, sadly. I know that sentence runs counter to sound logic.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You just can't let assets walk out the door for nothing if this is your strategy. I love building through the draft. But then you have to retain your players and if you do let them go you need to get draft capital in return. If you do neither of these things you just can't progress. You just get stuck continually needing to nail the draft to replace the guys you lose every year.

Yep. This is the main issue.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They literally do not believe they can improve the team with high quality players from other teams
They simply don't believe teams let impactful players worth big money out the door.

While that may be true for actual superstars there are exceptions all the time, and you have to perform due-diligence.

You also have to not overpay for lesser talent, including your own.

I will say though in 2022 FA, the most talented available under age 28 were both CBs.

Would you pay either JC Jackson 5/82.5/40 guaranteed or Carlton Davis 3/45/30 guaranteed? I wouldn't.

I also wouldn't pay age. Terron Armstead, a very solid OT, got 5/75/43 at age 31. Would you do that? or 6/120/51 for 33 year old Von Miller?

But in 2021, I absolutely would have signed then 27 year old Dalvin Tomlinson for 2/21/20.8 guaranteed. We might have gone to the Superbowl if we had.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I absolutely do not agree.

p1_

DCC 4Life

I guess he’s saying we fall to the bottom of our division? Can’t see is being that bad . But I can see us being the weakest division winner or even runner up.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
All three of his choices are stupid, barring catastrophic injury.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They simply don't believe teams let impactful players worth big money out the door.

While that may be true for actual superstars there are exceptions all the time, and you have to perform due-diligence.

You also have to not overpay for lesser talent, including your own.

I will say though in 2022 FA, the most talented available under age 28 were both CBs.

Would you pay either JC Jackson 5/82.5/40 guaranteed or Carlton Davis 3/45/30 guaranteed? I wouldn't.

I also wouldn't pay age. Terron Armstead, a very solid OT, got 5/75/43 at age 31. Would you do that? or 6/120/51 for 33 year old Von Miller?

But in 2021, I absolutely would have signed then 27 year old Dalvin Tomlinson for 2/21/20.8 guaranteed. We might have gone to the Superbowl if we had.
Yea it's not so much about the top, top, top FA talent for me, it's about being strategic and knowing when to strike on certain guys/positions here or there.

I wouldn't have given Wagner that deal, but I sure as shit would've signed Wagner for what he got, or Marcus Williams, or even lower tier guys like Uchenna Nwosu.

I don't expect them to sign a guy at the top of the FA market, but they should be looking at the "middle" to "upper middle class" types way more.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea it's not so much about the top, top, top FA talent for me, it's about being strategic and knowing when to strike on certain guys/positions here or there.

I wouldn't have given Wagner that deal, but I sure as shit would've signed Wagner for what he got, or Marcus Williams, or even lower tier guys like Uchenna Nwosu.

I don't expect them to sign a guy at the top of the FA market, but they should be looking at the "middle" to "upper middle class" types way more.
You can be strategic with FA, but oh no! Not the Uber rich spendthrift.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, WTF?

Did the Bengals or Cowboy QB's suddenly stop playing? This is still a QB-driven league, and these are still two of the better (and one of the best in Burrow's case) QB's around.

Yes the Bengals play Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, but if you ask me it's Pittsburgh, without any semblance of a QB, that has to worry about being last in that division. The Bengals might not finish first, but they won't finish worst.

And Dallas plays in a bad division with Hurts, Wentz, and Jones as opposing passers. Sorry, only injuries to Dak kept Dallas from winning the division back to back the last two years, and it's only injuries to Dak that would prevent a back to back in 2022. In what scenario does Dallas finish last. In the East?

And Ryan Tannehill is still solid for Tennessee who still has a solid defense. They are a different team with Henry a year older and yes they lose AJ Brown, but they add both Robert Woods and Treylon Burks. They are also very well coached and still play the Texans and Jags twice a year. I'm not seeing how they end up last.

Genghis Khan

There's something about this franchise in the past couple decades, unfortunately.

I don't expect it, but I don't think it's shocking to suggest they are among the most likely 2021 playoff teams to bottom out in 2022.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's something about this franchise in the past couple decades, unfortunately.

I don't expect it, but I don't think it's shocking to suggest they are among the most likely 2021 playoff teams to bottom out in 2022.
We have finished last in the division like 1 time in the last 20 years. That was before Dak and I believe the year Romo got hurt before we drafted Dak. So while I wouldn't be surprised to see a letdown season I think it would be shocking to see us go from first to worst. Especially with the schedule and teams in our division.

But could I see us missing the playoffs or finishing second/third in the division? Yeah it's absolutely possible. There are some positions on this team where a serious injury would be really difficult for us to recover from. If we avoid those injuries I feel pretty good about our chances of winning the NFC East but injuries are unpredictable. You take Lamb or Tyron Smith out for the season and I'm not sure we can function. Dak kind of goes without saying.

Genghis Khan

We have finished last in the division like 1 time in the last 20 years. That was before Dak and I believe the year Romo got hurt before we drafted Dak. So while I wouldn't be surprised to see a letdown season I think it would be shocking to see us go from first to worst. Especially with the schedule and teams in our division.

But could I see us missing the playoffs or finishing second/third in the division? Yeah it's absolutely possible. There are some positions on this team where a serious injury would be really difficult for us to recover from. If we avoid those injuries I feel pretty good about our chances of winning the NFC East but injuries are unpredictable. You take Lamb or Tyron Smith out for the season and I'm not sure we can function. Dak kind of goes without saying.

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom