Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think he's unwatchable at all. I like Eli with Peyton on that. He is the dorky little brother. They work well together.
I agree. Them together is good. If Eli tried to do it by himself it would be a disaster.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They simply don't believe teams let impactful players worth big money out the door.

While that may be true for actual superstars there are exceptions all the time, and you have to perform due-diligence.

You also have to not overpay for lesser talent, including your own.

I will say though in 2022 FA, the most talented available under age 28 were both CBs.

Would you pay either JC Jackson 5/82.5/40 guaranteed or Carlton Davis 3/45/30 guaranteed? I wouldn't.

I also wouldn't pay age. Terron Armstead, a very solid OT, got 5/75/43 at age 31. Would you do that? or 6/120/51 for 33 year old Von Miller?

But in 2021, I absolutely would have signed then 27 year old Dalvin Tomlinson for 2/21/20.8 guaranteed. We might have gone to the Superbowl if we had.
It might be time for them to shake up their pro scouting department. Or at least put more resources and personnel towards that department.

If their philosophy is to avoid big ticket free agents then beef up that scouting department so that you can get more bang for your buck with the lower ticketed free agents.

I thought last year's crop of free agents did a solid job. They weren't great but they certainly met and often exceeded my expectations. The Cowboys problem is they aren't able to replicate that success nearly as often as they're able to hit on their draft picks. That's why I think devoting more resources towards the pro scouting department could help with their bargain bin shopping.

I also have to acknowledge that a lot of the success they had with last season's free agent crop can probably be attributed to coaching upgrades.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I thought last year's crop of free agents did a solid job.

I also have to acknowledge that a lot of the success they had with last season's free agent crop can probably be attributed to coaching upgrades.
I think this is all dead on.

I was hoping for some similar gets this year. Given the track record established in 2021, it might be that Fowler and Washington will prove to be more impactful than they are being given credit for.

Like how when we talk about the Cowboy's WR's we seem to ignore Washington, like he can't make any impact at all. Or at DE we seem to completely ignore Fowler and focus on Williams

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It might be time for them to shake up their pro scouting department. Or at least put more resources and personnel towards that department.

If their philosophy is to avoid big ticket free agents then beef up that scouting department so that you can get more bang for your buck with the lower ticketed free agents.

I thought last year's crop of free agents did a solid job. They weren't great but they certainly met and often exceeded my expectations. The Cowboys problem is they aren't able to replicate that success nearly as often as they're able to hit on their draft picks. That's why I think devoting more resources towards the pro scouting department could help with their bargain bin shopping.

Our pro personnel department has been notoriously lazy for a long time. I don’t see that changing when at the end of it all, Goof Son is not handing out a contract worth more than six million per.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think this is all dead on.

I was hoping for some similar gets this year. Given the track record established in 2021, it might be that Fowler and Washington will prove to be more impactful than they are being given credit for.

Like how when we talk about the Cowboy's WR's we seem to ignore Washington, like he can't make any impact at all. Or at DE we seem to completely ignore Fowler and focus on Williams
I consider Washington and Fowler, but youre right, it seems not many are counting on these types to make a significant contribution.

Its as though theyre JAGS. But these bargain guys usually dont turn in a Kearse like over performance.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't think he's unwatchable at all. I like Eli with Peyton on that. He is the dorky little brother. They work well together.
Yeah, those two are hilarious together.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Our pro personnel department has been notoriously lazy for a long time. I don’t see that changing when at the end of it all, Goof Son is not handing out a contract worth more than six million per.
Yeah, that's kind of my point. If the philosophy is to go cheap they should at least be better equipped to identify cheaper free agents who can be solid contributors.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah, that's kind of my point. If the philosophy is to go cheap they should at least be better equipped to identify cheaper free agents who can be solid contributors.
Instead they have spreadsheet jockies that dictate the terms . Still lazy after all these years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We have done that. But the thing is, we went too cheap with them.

The Selvies and Mayowas of the world are poverty free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom