2022 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He’ll have a hard time selling losing seasons and bad product to the fans and media, unlike Jerry who truly is a pro at it.
There is a reason we call him a used car salesman.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think people buy Cowboys tickets or merchandise or anything else because of Jerry's homespun tales or winks or points, though. I think they buy them because the NFL is huge everywhere, football is king in Texas, and the franchise has a legendary brand.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That works if you can run the ball. But otherwise you're talking about 2 routes verse 4 or 5 DBs? Those aren't good numbers. And sure the RB goes out for a route but lets face it anyone could cover Zeke. This type of play works when you can run the ball but let's not pretend like you can consistently try to pass the ball with only 2 receivers running routes.

Now that isn't a diss at 12 personnel. You can have your TE's run routes too. They just didn't on this particular play. But you can't pretend that defenses won't figure you out quickly if you have only 2 guys running routes and then a check off in Zeke coming out of the backfield. That's easy for a defensive coordinator to defend if you do it regularly. It's just a play that has to be set up really well before you do it. So I guess my point is that this isn't something you can just run a ton on offense.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
@Cowboysrock55

Not only that, but that was also a game very early in the season against a bad Eagles team so you can't really use anything we were doing early on as any sort of proof of what is and isn't a strength for us.

The book is out on Kellen Moore now so he better have learned something this offseason or McCarthy better get involved because we're a worse offense from a personnel standpoint than we were a year ago so we're really going to need the coaching on that side of the ball to be very good.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That works if you can run the ball. But otherwise you're talking about 2 routes verse 4 or 5 DBs? Those aren't good numbers. And sure the RB goes out for a route but lets face it anyone could cover Zeke. This type of play works when you can run the ball but let's not pretend like you can consistently try to pass the ball with only 2 receivers running routes.

Now that isn't a diss at 12 personnel. You can have your TE's run routes too. They just didn't on this particular play. But you can't pretend that defenses won't figure you out quickly if you have only 2 guys running routes and then a check off in Zeke coming out of the backfield. That's easy for a defensive coordinator to defend if you do it regularly. It's just a play that has to be set up really well before you do it. So I guess my point is that this isn't something you can just run a ton on offense.
If your WR's and TE are good at beating single coverage it can force defenses almost exclusively into nickel which is a mismatch against a power running team. If your WR's are even halfway decent blockers on top of this, your RB's can consistently break off big gains.

I for one do not believe Ezekiel Elliott is done, but I do believe we need more changeup besides just Pollard. Both of these guys had leg injuries in 2021-- not good. But when they are both healthy and getting good blocking (not the shite we got from Biadasz/Williams) I think they can be special.

When you have the pass setting up the run, the offense becomes special overall.

That's all on Dak beating nickel. It only takes a couple of throws to get it all started

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's all on Dak beating nickel. It only takes a couple of throws to get it all started
With good pass protection that's not a problem for Dak at all. Thr Pats tried that against us and Dak shredded them. The problem is when the pass protection is shredded by only 4 rushers and the run game sucks. It's pretty hard as a QB to then beat the nickel. The Bengals pass protection sucked for example but they could at least run the ball.

So let's hope Steele/Biadasz improve going into their third yesrs and that Smith is the beast at LG that we think he can be. That will go a long way to fixing the offense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
With good pass protection that's not a problem for Dak at all. Thr Pats tried that against us and Dak shredded them. The problem is when the pass protection is shredded by only 4 rushers and the run game sucks. It's pretty hard as a QB to then beat the nickel. The Bengals pass protection sucked for example but they could at least run the ball.
Pressure is what really separates great QBs for sure. Remarkable what Joe Burrow was able to do with the worst pass protection of all playoff teams.

So let's hope Steele/Biadasz improve going into their third yesrs and that Smith is the beast at LG that we think he can be. That will go a long way to fixing the offense.
This is the heart of it. It's chemistry and communication more than talent

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remarkable what Joe Burrow was able to do with the worst pass protection of all playoff teams.
Bengals were third in the NFL in rushing, it's why this was possible. You have to at least be able to run or pass protect well. Second half of the season we could do neither.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Bengals were third in the NFL in rushing, it's why this was possible. You have to at least be able to run or pass protect well. Second half of the season we could do neither.
Riddle me this. How were the Bengals so good in the run game and yet so porous in pass pro?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Riddle me this. How were the Bengals so good in the run game and yet so porous in pass pro?
That's a great question. Scheme and a unit working well together. Some guys can run block but can't pass protect for shit. Also not sure if blitzes and poor pass protection schemes caused them problems. Some OCs just roll with 5 blockers no matter how bad things get.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life

Micah and Luka, franchise cornerstones.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
WTF is even saying that?

I've never heard anyone hint that he is not intelligent, but even if they did it doesn't matter.

The man impacts the game in ways that very few ever have.

Embrace the hate....d'Oh!!!

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
WTF is even saying that?

I've never heard anyone hint that he is not intelligent, but even if they did it doesn't matter.

The man impacts the game in ways that very few ever have.

Embrace the hate....d'Oh!!!

There was a tweet that he was responding to that was hinting that but it was deleted.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom