2022 OTAs, Camps and Training Camp Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This was guaranteed the second they made that stupid Cooper trade. They brought all this bad luck on themselves by making a retarded move to pinch a few pennies (or because they were being petty and annoyed because he missed a game because he was unvaccinated).
If they had kept Cooper, there is no way they could have re-signed Dorance Armstrong and kept Schultz, plus still have room to sign James Washington and Dante Fowler and Anthony Barr.

So you need to keep things in proper perspective and understand how to manage the cap, pal.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Seriously, if they'd just kept Cooper, wouldn't we feel really good about the team? Other than maybe OL it would be a very solid team overall.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Seriously, if they'd just kept Cooper, wouldn't we feel really good about the team? Other than maybe OL it would be a very solid team overall.
They'd be a top 3 Super Bowl contender in the conference, they still might be if everything falls just right, but obviously that's a stretch.

Even letting Cooper go, I'd make the argument that they were a top 3 contender if they had made an aggressive signing to upgrade the defense like Von Miller or Bobby Wagner, but here we are.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
They'd be a top 3 Super Bowl contender in the conference, they still might be if everything falls just right, but obviously that's a stretch.
Agree... But then sometimes I think, Cooper is good, but he's not worth two wins a year. So say we sign a Fuller or someone next week, shouldn't we still feel pretty good? At least in this very weak NFC.

I guess a lot depends on how good the defense really is. I do like that we've practiced against two really good QBs. I hate it when you have to play and practice against bad teams in preseason and it makes you look and feel better than you are.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Agree... But then sometimes I think, Cooper is good, but he's not worth two wins a year. So say we sign a Fuller or someone next week, shouldn't we still feel pretty good? At least in this very weak NFC.

I guess a lot depends on how good the defense really is. I do like that we've practiced against two really good QBs. I hate it when you have to play and practice against bad teams in preseason and it makes you look and feel better than you are.
I would feel good if we signed Fuller, or even Beasley.

As it is I feel decent enough, I think we still have the best team in the division which obviously would imply we should be in the playoffs, and if things fall into place (i.e. health on the OL, Tyler Smith being a difference maker, Gallup not missing too much time and hitting the ground running) we could definitely make a playoff run.

On the other hand if things go the other way with injuries, etc., I could easily see us going 9-8 and just scraping in as a wild card since the gap between us and the Eagles has closed, and their 3 swing games are much easier than ours.

It should take a god damn disaster for us to miss the playoffs though now that 7 teams get in, so it's not like I feel terrible about the team either way, it could just be so much better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Even letting Cooper go, I'd make the argument that they were a top 3 contender if they had made an aggressive signing to upgrade the defense like Von Miller or Bobby Wagner, but here we are.
I'm not sure there is anyway that I feel ok about starting the season with Lamb, Tolbert and Brown as my WRs. Even with a Vonn Miller.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not sure there is anyway that I feel ok about starting the season with Lamb, Tolbert and Brown as my WRs. Even with a Vonn Miller.
I'd have been fine if we aggressively re-oriented our roster/salary structure around the defense to maximize how special Parsons is/could be.

It's not ideal for a month or so, but if you take a long-term view, Lamb/Gallup/Tolbert (and presumably Schultz) is a very solid group of weapons in the passing game.

That's a risk I'd have been fine with if they had been creative/strategic like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would feel good if we signed Fuller, or even Beasley.

As it is I feel decent enough, I think we still have the best team in the division which obviously would imply we should be in the playoffs, and if things fall into place (i.e. health on the OL, Tyler Smith being a difference maker, Gallup not missing too much time and hitting the ground running) we could definitely make a playoff run.

On the other hand if things go the other way with injuries, etc., I could easily see us going 9-8 and just scraping in as a wild card since the gap between us and the Eagles has closed, and their 3 swing games are much easier than ours.

It should take a god damn disaster for us to miss the playoffs though now that 7 teams get in, so it's not like I feel terrible about the team either way, it could just be so much better.
I think Fuller makes the most sense but I have no idea where is head is at. Supposedly he doesn't want to sign until the season is ready to start. So it's possible that he really isn't that motivated or his heart isn't in it. I don't want to add a malcontent at WR. But if he is motivated his speed and skill would fit in perfectly. He is young enough that he has all of his explosive ability still. And while he is injury prone, I'm not needing a big time player for 17 games. If he gets us enough games to survive getting Gallup up to speed I'm thrilled. And hell getting a guy like Tolbert adjusted to the NFL as well. My problem isn't going to be week 16 of the NFL season. My concern is the first 6 games or so until Gallup gets back and gets up to speed and trusts his legs. My concern is a rookie Tolbert who is adjusting from a small school to the lights of the NFL.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He still has Garrett stank on him. Hopefully we pick up someone else when more cuts are made.

Top Bottom