2022 OTAs, Camps and Training Camp Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, this shows us that Dak is better than Herbert, and The Nooch is better than them all?

Yeah. I could see that.
The Nooch probably does dazzle with trick shots and so on. Doesn't mean his brain works or that he really isn't just a pernicious twat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wtf you doing with a don Ramon GIF???
One of the ladies that used to work for me turned me onto it. It was on Netflix but they took it away a few years ago.

It was a cute and charming show.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think I like your tone.
Since you have chosen to side with the anti-Christ, I don't know what the hell to tell you.

This passing contest was just part of his artfulness and deceitful nature.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
‘Second-year jump’: Cowboys hoping for big gains from 2021’s rookie class
Dallas believes several of its second-year players have matured, both physically and mentally, since the end of last season.
Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Quinton Bohanna (98) battles Los Angeles Chargers center...

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Quinton Bohanna (98) battles Los Angeles Chargers center Will Clapp (76) during a joint practice drill at the Jack Hammett Sports Complex in Costa Mesa, California, August 18, 2022.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer )
By Michael Gehlken
7:52 PM on Aug 19, 2022

COSTA MESA, Calif. — Nose tackle Quinton Bohanna sounds different now.'

The way he carries himself. The way he discusses his role on the Cowboys’ defensive line. How he describes his readiness to make an impact.

As a 2021 sixth-round pick, the nose tackle fought to find his way as a rookie. He appeared in 14 games but was one of the four rookie picks to be a healthy scratch in the January playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers.
Transitioning to the NFL can take time.

What linebacker and first-round pick Micah Parsons did was rare.
“It’s like driving a car, I would say,” Bohanna said. “The more you play, the more you get used to it. I got thrown into that fire early, and I’m happy because I wouldn’t be where I am now. … I know I’m a hell of a player. I’ve got confidence in myself. But last year, I was second-guessing myself. Now, it’s go time. I know what to look forward to. I know what’s coming. I know my role.”

The Cowboys expect more contributions from the depth of their 2021 draft class. Bohanna is one reason why. Amid an impressive training camp, he is coming off a strong preseason debut against the Denver Broncos. He can build on that outing during Saturday’s exhibition versus the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium.

Like other coaches, Mike McCarthy frequently uses a phrase with second-year players.

Bohanna is one of several members of the Cowboys’ 11-man draft class to earn that label, having made significant developmental strides in the offseason following their first year. McCarthy commended Bohanna for his performance in Denver, which featured four tackles on 22 defensive snaps.

In the red zone, he also produced an interior rush on a pass that cornerback Kyron Brown nearly intercepted.
“I really like the way that Q played Saturday night,” McCarthy said. “Clearly, the step that he made — a couple steps, frankly. I thought the way that he attacked the double-teams was as good as I’ve seen him do it. And I think you’re seeing a guy who is really starting to make a move in the area of pass rush, not just the transition rush on first and second down. I thought Q definitely took a big step.”

So have others.

Defensive lineman Chauncey Golston, a former third-round pick, hired a personal chef this offseason and upped his food-intake regularity while working out with Harold Nash Jr., the Cowboys’ strength and conditioning coordinator. The result: 15 pounds of muscle.
Golston, at 285 pounds now, will continue to operate at end at times, but more work at defensive tackle is coming.
Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn winces as defensive end Chauncey Golston (99)...
Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn winces as defensive end Chauncey Golston (99) slaps his pad during pass rushing drills at training camp practice in Oxnard, California, August 8, 2022.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer )

“I still feel explosive,” Golston said. “Now, I have the weight to play the run better, and I can anchor more. A lot of playing the run is knowing looks and stuff like that. I have been with Osa [Odighizuwa] and the other guys, just learning the schemes and learning the looks. …I have the tools with my length (84 3/8-inch wing span), and my knowledge is another tool. That’s going to help me play this game.”
Cornerback Nahshon Wright, also a third-round choice, went from about 184 pounds at the end of last season to 198 now, surpassing the 8-pound gain goal he said the Cowboys established early in the offseason.

Wright had a mixed preseason opener against the Broncos, but his increased play speed and play strength were nonetheless noticeable. He can be more of a factor on special teams as a starting point.

“I feel great,” Wright said. “My body is able to withstand the load a lot more than I was last year. … Maybe after the first few days of [last year’s] camp, I felt like I had a fridge on my back. Now, I’m just able to move around, fly around and just be me.”
Wide receiver Simi Fehoko, a former fifth-round pick, and safety Israel Mukuamu, a sixth-rounder, are among the others who the Cowboys consider to have taken the second-year jump.

Fehoko played seven offensive snaps in 2021 and was not targeted with a pass.

Mukuamu appeared in only four games as a rookie with 20 snaps on defense and 58 on special teams. He bulked up to 217 pounds at one point this offseason before settling in around 212 now, about 5 more pounds than he was during his rookie season.
The former South Carolina cornerback is more mentally dialed into the safety position.

“Last year, I felt like I wasn’t able to contribute to the team like I wanted to,” Mukuamu said. “I just came in with a different mind-set to contribute and help the team win. [Defensive coordinator] Dan Quinn was always telling us it’s a big difference from Year 1 to Year 2, and they like to see that jump. … I’m more confident in my communication, understanding the defense and just being able to play faster.”
Draft classes take time to develop.

Saturday is a chance for the Cowboys’ second-year players to continue strides made.
+++

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Some random thoughts after watching the rest of yesterday's practice:

Tolbert had a big day with at least 6-7 catches but he still looks kind of soft completing catches over the middle with defenders lurking and in physical, contested situations, has to get better there. It's not totally surprising for a rookie in training camp but it's something to track as the year goes on.

Seems like they're starting to integrate Barr more with the starters, lining up alongside with LVE who is clearly the primary starting ILB, while moving Parsons all around as per usual.

Steele still looks flimsy to me, although he was mostly getting beat by Lawrence so it's not the end of the world.

Sam Williams whipped Tyron pretty good towards the end of practice, he seems like a guy who is going to be a slow burn and might not contribute much the first month or two of the year, but when it clicks he'll be our 3rd best edge rusher behind Lawrence/Parsons.

Turpin was getting a decent amount of snaps with the 1's and finishes catches better than Tolbert in tight windows, we'll see if that holds up in real games where his size will be an issue.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Ignore this. This is just a glitch in The Matrix.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Tolbert had a big day with at least 6-7 catches but he still looks kind of soft completing catches over the middle with defenders lurking and in physical, contested situations, has to get better there. It's not totally surprising for a rookie in training camp but it's something to track as the year goes on.

Turpin was getting a decent amount of snaps with the 1's and finishes catches better than Tolbert in tight windows, we'll see if that holds up in real games where his size will be an issue.
I think part of this can be attributed to roster security. Intentionally or subliminally, Tolbert knows he's a lock to make the roster no matter how little he shows in practice. Whereas a fringe guy like Turpin has to treat every practice like its the Super Bowl just to even have a shot at making the roster.

Top Bottom