2022 Cowboys UDFA Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And teams keep trying to convert every interior guy to center. It is not that easy.
Yeah I don't think people were happy with the size of the centers. And everyone seems to want a center who can also play guard. That's hard to do with an undersized center.

Linderbaum, under 300.

Jurgens 303.

Fortner was one of the bigger ones at 307 and a frame to get bigger.

West and Lindstrom were better than the rest of the drafted centers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Bell is mentioned as one of the most likely to win a roster spot.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Maybe he succeeds where Anae failed.

Yes, I understand that was stereotyping.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This class has been affected by COVID. A lot of overaged players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

This class has been affected by COVID. A lot of overaged players.
NFL.com had the dude rated as a fourth rounder. I think he has a real shot of making the roster. He isn't going to push LVE off the roster or anything but maybe Luke Gifford or something. Bruglar had him as a 5th-6th rounder. Which is also pretty good. 4.64 forty and really good size. I actually think he may be my favorite with Bell of the undrafted free agent class.

Draft Projection
Round 4

Overview
Athletic inside linebacker who might require a more attack-oriented scheme that allows him to play faster and with less reservation. Hansford failed to use his 2020 season as a springboard into bigger and better things in 2021. He has speed to range from sideline to sideline and is a fundamentally sound tackler who won't let many slip from his grasp. His blitz potential should not be discounted and he clearly has the traits to become a more robust playmaker. However, the difference between starter and backup will be rooted in whether or not he can do a better job of diagnosing blocking schemes and play with better trigger quickness.

Last edited:
  • Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
you dont buy the Keanu Neal hybrid model?
Keanu Neal is a bad example because he kind of sucked. Bland is a good player. Physical and plays tough but is also athletic. So sure, maybe he can play that Kearse type role but honestly the guy is a corner. I'd let him play corner and be that physical corner as opposed to trying to push him into a special or unique role.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bell can play a pseudo-Neal/Kearse role, Bland should be left at CB.
Yeah I like Bell and think he has a shot at the roster. He should be good on special teams. Maybe even play some deep safety. He has a pretty diverse skill set. Definitely a guy worth stashing on the PS squad if he doesn't make the roster. It probably between him and Mukuamu for that fourth safety spot. I'm still intrigued by Mukuamu though who has some corner skills but the size and hitting ability of a Kearse type.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm still intrigued by Mukuamu though who has some corner skills but the size and hitting ability of a Kearse type.
Same here. I really, really liked him coming out last year and thought we got lucky getting him as late as we did.

He's kind of been forgotten this offseason. I think he's gonna take a nice step forward this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here. I really, really liked him coming out last year and thought we got lucky getting him as late as we did.

He's kind of been forgotten this offseason. I think he's gonna take a nice step forward this year.
Yeah I always feel lame talking about late round picks from last season that didn't really do much as rookies. But that's kind of the point of late round picks. They have skills but need development. In the situation of Mukuamu he was a corner in college who played some safety. So yeah, you're looking at him as a year long project. That's kind of the point. So you don't want to necessarily write the guy off after one year. The Cowboys have a much better idea of how the transition is going but I hold high hopes for him still being a player this year. It takes time with some players. Unless you're a draft pick in the first 3 rounds odds are you're going to be more of a develop down the road guy.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah I always feel lame talking about late round picks from last season that didn't really do much as rookies. But that's kind of the point of late round picks. They have skills but need development. In the situation of Mukuamu he was a corner in college who played some safety. So yeah, you're looking at him as a year long project. That's kind of the point. So you don't want to necessarily write the guy off after one year. The Cowboys have a much better idea of how the transition is going but I hold high hopes for him still being a player this year. It takes time with some players. Unless you're a draft pick in the first 3 rounds odds are you're going to be more of a develop down the road guy.
Agreed. I think with the late rounder/UDFA guys that you have hopes for you have to give them at least one year. Give Mukuamu every chance to show something this offseason and training camp. If he doesn't, well... Sorry. Your roster spot is now officially up for grabs. Time to bring in another young guy and give them a chance.

I know it's been said to give 3 years for a player to develop. But I think that's more for players with better pedigree, taken higher in the draft. Of course you'll give them more time to develop. We have seen too many times where we give late round draft picks, even UDFAs chance after chance after chance to finally get it just because they were some coaches (or owners?) pet cat. You can't waste that much time on the bottom of the roster. Either they get it, or they don't. Next.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mook has a fan club .
I mean the guy could be trash. Obviously any time a play is available that late in the draft there are questions. And our history with converting corners to safety has been less than stellar. But hey, I think this guy has a legit chance to make the depth chart at safety this year and play some snaps.

Top Bottom