2022 Cowboys UDFA Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But hey, let's just roll the dice at kicker again. What could go wrong?

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But hey, let's just roll the dice at kicker again. What could go wrong?
I think you will be happy with Garibay. He was absolute money at Tech.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think you will be happy with Garibay. He was absolute money at Tech.

I hope so, but a lot of college kickers have an adjustment period in the pros. I don't mind giving him a chance but I'd like to have some legit competition just in case.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys’ UDFA is ready to ‘make people respect’ him in 2022
By Matthew Lenix -May 13, 2022

The Cowboys did an excellent job of bringing in talented undrafted free agents like center Alec Lindstrom, wide receiver Dontario Drummond, and linebacker Storey Jackson. However, one has stood out among the rest as the overwhelming fan favorite, and that’s safety Markquese Bell out of Florida A&M.

Bell was one of the Cowboys’ 30 visits and a player that looked like he could be a Day 3 steal in the draft for Dallas. Luckily, the Cowboys snagged him, and he possesses a lot of traits that defensive coordinator Dan Quinn covets much like fifth-round cornerback DaRon Bland.

As is the case with undrafted rookies and late-round picks, Bell will have to show and prove on special teams while he develops, a path that sixth-round pick Devin Harper has embraced. The HBCU standout is of the same mindset as Harper when it comes to how he can contribute to the Cowboys this season.

“I want to contribute on special teams”, Bell said. “That is going to get my foot in the door. I want to learn the playbook and get with some of the older guys that know the system and learn from them to help me get where I want to go.”

Bell was very productive for the Rattlers last season. He logged 95 tackles (6.5 tackles for loss), an interception, two sacks, and five forced fumbles on his way to receiving All-MEAC honors. Coupling that with his 6’2 frame, 36.5-inch vertical, and 4.41 speed, Bell could have easily felt slighted by not being drafted.

That’s not the case with the New Jersey native. Bell realizes that even if he had heard his name called during the draft process he would still have to put in the work to earn a star on his helmet with the Cowboys.

“It’s not where you start, it’s where you finish,” said Bell. “Getting drafted wouldn’t guarantee me a spot on the team. I still had to go in and work for it. That is what I am here to do.”

The aforementioned Quinn inherited a Cowboys’ defense that was 31st against the run and 28th in points allowed in 2020. Under his tutelage, the Cowboys’ defense led the NFL in turnovers last season (34) and was the best unit on third down.

One of the noticeable changes in the Cowboys’ defense last year was how physical they were and how they swarmed to the ball. Bell is already taken that mentality in as he learns the ropes.

“Every time we meet, he tells us, ‘We are going to hit. If we don’t do anything else, we are going to hit,’” Bell said.

“I can do that. If nothing else, I can do that.”

Bell displayed versatility at Florida A&M by playing down in the box and being able to cover on the back end. Quinn will use that skill set to see where Bell prospers the most with the Cowboys.

“They are just going to move me around and see what I can retain and how I can help the team in any way,” Bell said. “I am all for it. Whatever they need me to do, I will do.”

But what it boils down to for Bell in 2022 is what it always boils down to when it comes to what an NFL player desires most: respect. Bell is the only player from an HBCU (Historically Black College and University) on the team. HBCU players -and the schools- are often overlooked despite producing players such as Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Michael Strahan, Mel Blount, and so many others.

Bell wants to change that. And you can’t blame him.

“I know I am the only guy from an HBCU on this team,” Bell said. “That is attached to me. I want to make people respect HBCU dudes and stop overlooking us and thinking we are lower ranked and lower competition.”

The Cowboys have three good safeties in Jayron Kearse, Malik Hooker, and Donovan Wilson. Outside of those three, there’s no definitive fourth guy. Bell will compete with 2021 sixth-round pick Israel Mukuamu and another undrafted prospect from last year Tyler Coyle for that roster spot as rookie minicamp begins on Friday.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

NFC UDFA CLASS GRADES
Thor Nystrom
BY THOR NYSTROM
May 12, 2022, 8:16 pm ET
Updated On: May 13, 2022, 3:43 am ET

I call the UDFA free-for-all after the completion of Day 3 the "Dessert draft." The UDFA carousel on Saturday night in essence takes care of Rounds 8-20 at warp-speed.

Undrafted players comprise roughly one-fifth of NFL rosters and provide the NFL with more value and snaps than the sixth- and seventh-rounds combined. In three-consecutive years, the Chargers found Austin Ekeler, the Broncos discovered Phillip Lindsay, and the Jaguars struck gold with James Robinson during the UDFA sweepstakes.

The list of Hall of Famers who went undrafted includes Kurt Warner, John Randle, Warren Moon and Dick “Night Train” Lane. Recent notable UDFA include Tony Romo, Doug Baldwin, James Harrison, Wes Welker, Antonio Gates, Arian Foster, Cameron Wake and Chris Harris. Current UDFAs making an impact in the NFL include Adam Thielen, Robby Anderson, Alejandro Villanueva, La’El Collins, Michael Pierce, Shaquil Barrett, Mario Addison, Cory Littleton, Malcolm Butler, J.C. Jackson, and Anthony Harris.

This year's UDFA crop is especially intriguing. Because the NCAA’s 2020 pandemic eligibility waiver allowed graduated seniors to return to school, the 2021 NFL Draft had only 657 declared prospects. By contrast, the year before, in 2020, 1,932 prospects declared. This class, with eligibilities exhausting of players granted the extra year, we had over 2,000 declarees. That means a deeper UDFA pool.

Let's dive into how the NFC did in this year's "Dessert Draft." The ranking in parenthesis following each team below indicates how each ranked overall in the NFL. Speaking of that, check back Friday for my AFC UDFA class rankings.

1. Dallas Cowboys (1)
Pos Rank Name Comp RAS HT WT
iOL16 167 Alec Lindstrom J.C. Tretter 8.35 6033 299
WR29 200 Dontario Drummond Ron Dugans 5.7 6007 217
CB30 210 Isaac Taylor-Stuart Eli Apple 9.61 6014 201
LB20 230 Aaron Hansford Drue Tranquill 7.61 6025 239
S17 233 Markquese Bell Kamu Grugier-Hill 8.95 6020 212
S19 253 Juanyeh Thomas Darrick Forrest 8.48 6006 213
WR39 263 Ty Fryfogle Travis Fulgham 7.2 6011 209
WR44 307 Jaquarii Roberson Cedrick Wilson 9.02 6007 182
ED35 325 Mika Tafua Malcolm Koonce 9.03 6027 249
iOL39 387 James Empey Greg Mancz 2.58 6034 297
TE25 452 Peyton Hendershot Brevin Jordan 8.4 6036 246
S38 467 La'Kendrick Van Zandt Andrew Wingard 8.09 5114 210
CB53 474 Quandre Mosely Derrick Baity 6016 185
ED47 493 Big Kat Bryant Aaron Lynch 2.86 6040 254
QB36 --- Terry Wilson Vad Lee 6022 204
RB50 --- Aaron Shampklin Matt Breida 8.28 5093 194
RB59 --- Malik Davis Kyle Hicks 5.95 5097 202
WR79 --- Dennis Houston Jhajuan Seales 7.58 6011 198
OT56 --- Amon Simon 2.88 6046 303
LB73 --- Storey Jackson 6.29 6017 224
K7 --- Jonathan Garibay 6010 215

No team invests in undrafted talent like the Cowboys. This is my fourth year ranking UDFA classes for NBC. During that time, Dallas has spent more UDFA money than any other organization. Is it any wonder that the Cowboys have finished with a top-10 UDFA class all four years? The Cowboys ranked No. 9 in 2019, No. 1 in 2020, No. 2 in 2021, and have once-again assumed the top-overall spot in 2022.

This year, the Cowboys signed six prospects I had draftable grades on (top-262), as well as the highest-ranked UDFA-graded prospect on my board (Ty Fryfogle). I had a R5 grade on C Alec Lindstrom, R6 grades on WR Dontario Drummond and CB Isaac Taylor-Stuart, and R7 grades on LB Aaron Hansford, S Markquese Bell, and S Juanyeh Thomas.

I’m still surprised Lindstrom didn’t get drafted. Especially after a similar undersized pivot prospect, Drew Dalman, returned huge investment for the Falcons last year on a R4 pricetag. Like Dalman, Lindstrom is a smart, athletic, undersized interior lineman with deep NFL bloodlines running through his veins.

Drummond is a weird prospect. He’s a 215-pound slot receiver that only runs a 4.65. He was forced to go to “Last Chance U” – East Mississippi Community College – out of high school, and didn’t pop-off at Mississippi until his last year when he could play slot full-time following Elijah Moore’s departure. But he’s a sure-handed, tackle-breaking machine who gets after it blocking. Drummond also has return chops.

Taylor-Stuart was a top-40 overall recruit coming out of high school. He has an ideal blend of length and speed (4.42). He’s a fabulous all-around athlete who owns a second-degree blackbelt off the field. But Taylor-Stuart needs to find a position (corner or free safety?), refine his technique, and improve his instincts. If the light ever turns on, he'll be a player.

Dallas' UDFA class had everything: Draftable talent, depth, athleticism (nine tested in the RAS 80th-percentile or better), and well-reasoned shots at positions of need.

p1_

DCC 4Life
No team invests in undrafted talent like the Cowboys. This is my fourth year ranking UDFA classes for NBC. During that time, Dallas has spent more UDFA money than any other organization. Is it any wonder that the Cowboys have finished with a top-10 UDFA class all four years? The Cowboys ranked No. 9 in 2019, No. 1 in 2020, No. 2 in 2021, and have once-again assumed the top-overall spot in 2022.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Im telling yall, Stephen views the UDFA class as a part of free agency. He is counting his pennies invested in college free agents that can be home grown guys. And its usually special teamers, kickers and gunners.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Im telling yall, Stephen views the UDFA class as a part of free agency. He is counting his pennies invested in college free agents that can be home grown guys. And its usually special teamers, kickers and gunners.
And why not? It got us immense talent like Tony Romo, Barry Church, Jeff Heath and uh…I forgot the rest. Talent acquisition is hard. It is a 365 day a year business.

• Props

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Laugh, but we've actually found some pretty good players in UDFA.

• Props

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Laugh, but we've actually found some pretty good players in UDFA.
We have, but I just found the way he put that funny.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It seems like the Jones actually count on addressing real needs through UDFA. This year, it's Garibay. And safety I suppose.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It seems like the Jones actually count on addressing real needs through UDFA. This year, it's Garibay. And safety I suppose.
They’re not counting on a UDFA safety to fill any significant time.

p1_

DCC 4Life
They’re not counting on a UDFA safety to fill any significant time.
The Cowboys enticed Bell to sign with the storied franchise over the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia Eagles with a $15k signing bonus and $200,000 guaranteed on his first contract.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Stephen, that's good money and well spent. Theyre not counting on significant time, but he sure thinks highly of Bell.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Cowboys enticed Bell to sign with the storied franchise over the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia Eagles with a $15k signing bonus and $200,000 guaranteed on his first contract.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Stephen, that's good money and well spent. Theyre not counting on significant time, but he sure thinks highly of Bell.
Every year we give guaranteed money and a signing bonus to an UDFA. Doesn't mean much, other than we'd like to bring him in and there is competition for them from other teams. It certainly doesn't mean we are "actually counting on addressing real needs thru UDFA."

• Props

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jonathan Garibay will likely fill a currently empty and very significant roster spot.
Right. And we've filled our kicker spot with UDFAs before. Even when Jimmy was coach.

Still doesn't mean we go into UDFA counting on them to fill needs.

Top Bottom