2022 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I understand why it's intriguing to project what impact a given pick might have on a team. But, my God, when none have made any difference for 25 years, doesn't it seem a little pointless?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I understand why it's intriguing to project what impact a given pick might have on a team. But, my God, when none have made any difference for 25 years, doesn't it seem a little pointless?
If something made me this fucking miserable, I'd stop following/watching it.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Then why do you even post on a Cowboys message board?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
"Scouting" players is also a fun thing to do for many of us, like a competition with ourselves to see how players turn out. My focus is mostly on the Cowboys but it isn't 100% Cowboys, I also enjoy seeing how guys I liked or didn't like coming out around the league pan out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe it's just learning to accept the fact that nothing will change between February and August. It hasn't for 25 years, why will it next year? Just saying ...
Oh it changes. A lot changes. The only thing that doesn't change is a lack of a Superbowl at the end of the season. It's why I said during the season you should enjoy the ride. Because if all you do is focus on the finish then there is no reason to be a Cowboys fan while Jerry is alive.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Scouting" players is also a fun thing to do for many of us, like a competition with ourselves to see how players turn out. My focus is mostly on the Cowboys but it isn't 100% Cowboys, I also enjoy seeing how guys I liked or didn't like coming out around the league pan out.
I also agree with this. I make great money in my career and will never have the opportunity to scout or draft players but I've always loved it. Hell a lot of people do, it's why the NFL draft is one of the biggest sporting events of the year. Being a GM of an NFL team would be a dream job for most of us.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I get that. I wrote in my first post above I already knew the answer. It's like picking stocks, sort of.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
It all boils down to coaching once the draft is over.
What kind of environment you are drafting these young men into is also a factor. Let's face it, head coaches come and go and little changes. There's something rotten at the core of this franchise that retards winning.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I get it. I won’t say I’m miserable as a Cowboys fan, but it does suck to see a team that can’t ever seem to make progress as the seasons roll on. Especially when you do have good players that have cycled thru like Romo, Owens, Bryant, etc.
It’s great to win 12 games, but who really gives a fuck about that? Teams are remembered for Championship games and Superbowls. Not because they beat up on shitty division teams.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I get it. I won’t say I’m miserable as a Cowboys fan, but it does suck to see a team that can’t ever seem to make progress as the seasons roll on. Especially when you do have good players that have cycled thru like Romo, Owens, Bryant, etc.
It’s great to win 12 games, but who really gives a fuck about that? Teams are remembered for Championship games and Superbowls. Not because they beat up on shitty division teams.
I'll get killed for this, but I don't entirely agree. SB are more about pride and chest-thumping to fans of other teams, but as a fan I still fondly (or with mixed feelings sometimes) remember certain games of the season or playoffs, even if there wasn't a SB at the end of those seasons. Would the clobbering of the Redskins and Eagles be a nicer memory if it ended with a SB ring? Absolutely. Did the lack of it take any joy out of it at the moment? How could it? Like someone said, if all you care for are SB wins, why watch a single game other than a SB where your team is heavily favored to win.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'll get killed for this, but I don't entirely agree. SB are more about pride and chest-thumping to fans of other teams, but as a fan I still fondly (or with mixed feelings sometimes) remember certain games of the season or playoffs, even if there wasn't a SB at the end of those seasons. Would the clobbering of the Redskins and Eagles be a nicer memory if it ended with a SB ring? Absolutely. Did the lack of it take any joy out of it at the moment? How could it? Like someone said, if all you care for are SB wins, why watch a single game other than a SB where your team is heavily favored to win.
I enjoy certain games along the way but at the end of the day, it is about who wins the Super Bowl and who has the most rings.

Even if this wasn't the Cowboys of the 1970s-1990s and they were placing somewhere after the Patriots who won so many the last 20 years, I could take comfort in the team's historical dominance as well as it's present success if it could win one a decade or so. It's not the end of the world to miss the playoffs in a given year or to have a rebuild where you are non-competitive for a 3-4 year period.

Our problem is we are among the least successful teams of the last 25 years. It's become embarrassing at some point.

At this point winning division titles doesn't erase the embarrassment. We are gonna need a ring and then to enter a period of being one of the top 10 teams in the league consistently again.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I enjoy certain games along the way but at the end of the day, it is about who wins the Super Bowl and who has the most rings.

Even if this wasn't the Cowboys of the 1970s-1990s and they were placing somewhere after the Patriots who won so many the last 20 years, I could take comfort in the team's historical dominance as well as it's present success if it could win one a decade or so. It's not the end of the world to miss the playoffs in a given year or to have a rebuild where you are non-competitive for a 3-4 year period.

Our problem is we are among the least successful teams of the last 25 years. It's become embarrassing at some point.

At this point winning division titles doesn't erase the embarrassment. We are gonna need a ring and then to enter a period of being one of the top 10 teams in the league consistently again.
I couldn’t have said it better myself. There’s been plenty of talent, but zero consistency or any type of foundation towards building a top 5-10 type team.
Even the 12 win season here is really built on beating the sorry ass teams in the East. We actually sucked ass against legitimate playoff caliber teams.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

I totally agree, I would love to get 1 SB per decade and I would feel much better about being a fervent fan. But... to say "who gives a fuck about winning 12 games"... well I do. I'm miserable after any defeat so sparing me as much misery as possible is relevant to me. The other option plain and simple sucks. Does it suck that they're a tease so often? Absolutely! Would I'd rather be a Cowboys fan than a Lions, Browns, fill in your other basement dwelling teams that haven't won a SB since 95? You bet.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Cowboys fans: “dude you guys suck…Hurts is terrible, and we stomped your asses BOTH times we played you this year”

Eagles fans: “Yeah, maybe but we won a SB a few years ago with a back up QB and a coach we ended up firing…I wasn’t even alive last time the Cowboys won a SB”.

:lol

UncleMilti

Staff member
I totally agree, I would love to get 1 SB per decade and I would feel much better about being a fervent fan. But... to say "who gives a fuck about winning 12 games"... well I do. I'm miserable after any defeat so sparing me as much misery as possible is relevant to me. The other option plain and simple sucks. Does it suck that they're a tease so often? Absolutely! Would I'd rather be a Cowboys fan than a Lions, Browns, fill in your other basement dwelling teams that haven't won a SB since 95? You bet.
The Cowboys issue is those “basement dwelling” teams you are referring to are slowly dwindling away, leaving the Cowboys and very few other teams as the only ones stuck in mediocrity. Christ, even bumble fuck Mike Brown stumbled his way to a AFC Championship game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah but there are only 3-5 teams who you'd take the Cowboys 25 year history over theirs at this point and you just named two of them.

I get wanting to spare yourself misery but you also have to be honest with yourself. We are not one of the well-run franchises right now.

I would say we are no better than a mediocre-run team, albeit also I do think we get the short end of the stick in terms of league favoritism at this point, which works against us. But we don't help ourselves enough. We make bad personnel decisions and bad coaching decisions, and the front office is not conducive to generating a winner in it's culture.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom