2021 Season | Wildcard Weekend | Gameday Chatter Thread | 49ers @ Cowboys | 1/16/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I agree Martin is the only untouchable and if an upgrade opportunity elsewhere on the line presents itself that's fine, but I think the OL is far from our problem.

How come it wasn't a problem in the first 6 games. Outside of Biadasz these are all guys that have performed well in the past and none of them are old. The logic just isn't there for me.
Amen. I wish some of our local reporters would actually investigate stuff like this instead of just regurgitating press conference talking points.

The only things I can think of are that Tyron got broken again and played the worst ball of his career, and Collins came back. But I don't see how that explains going from so good earlier in the year to so average later in the year.

data

Forbes #1
They were lined up with 4-5 seconds on the clock, if they had handed the ball to the ref to spot they would've gotten the spike off. I count that as lack of preparation/situational awareness on the part of the coaching staff, if you call that play there you have to make sure the entire team knows exactly what to do.
We got the snap off. Should’ve just run the last pass from there.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They were great early in the year though, even with far less talent than that group had in recent years.

I still wonder what happened midway through the year to the entire offense. Makes me wonder if something internal happened to change things.

Everyone on the team insisted Denver wasn't a blueprint.

But funny enough we were never the same after that.

Sure looks like a blueprint to me.

data

Forbes #1
All the media are focusing segments on the final snap as if that decided the outcome. Such sensationalism.

Even if we got 1 second back, what’re the chances of a TD from the 24?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Our offense is our offense. Spend so much more resources and only incremental improvements.

I continue to invest in the defense.
Defense and the OL, no more investing big resources into the passing game/WR's because this team isn't going to win big with Dak slinging it all over.

Invest your premium resources into the defense and OL and fill in the WR's with guys like Wilson. I'd still try to resign Schultz since he's a security blanket for Dak but I wouldn't even consider drafting a WR until the 4th, and people might think it's blasphemy but I'd quietly even consider trading Lamb if we could get back a top 20 pick.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They were lined up with 4-5 seconds on the clock, if they had handed the ball to the ref to spot they would've gotten the spike off. I count that as lack of preparation/situational awareness on the part of the coaching staff, if you call that play there you have to make sure the entire team knows exactly what to do.
Exactly.

You can't call that play there unless you are absolutely certain that every man on the field knows exactly what to do.... And clearly they didn't so no matter how you slice it, it all falls on the coaches.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Found this. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for our $40 mill qb:

Following the game, a 49ers defender admitted that the team’s defense wanted to make Prescott attempt to beat them.

“We went in there and did what we needed to do: Stop the run and force them to be one-dimensional. See if Prescott could win the game for them,” 49ers player Jimmie Ward said.
Exactly what Denver did to Cam Newton in the SB several years ago.
Cam choked...
Dak choked

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Just running that QB draw play was stupid as hell. You don't do that knowing you're going to burn off all but a second or two off the clock. All it takes is one little misstep and the game is over, exactly like what happened.

Genghis Khan

A good reminder for me came early last week during one of his radio interviews. When asked about the possibility of 49ers fans invading AT&T stadium his response was basically that he likes it and it makes for a fun atmosphere.

Really? So HFA and making the opponent feel uncomfortable and intimidated doesn't mean anything? A sold seat is a sold seat to that jackass.

Every other home team played their games with a TRUE HFA and they walked away with wins.

The Cowboys could easily restrict ticket sales to a 300 mile radius of Dallas and they'd still sell out. The OKC Thunder do that during the NBA playoffs. I had to have my mom buy tickets for me in the past because of those restrictions. It's inconvenient and might seem unfair to those living outside of the radius, but it works. You don't get near as many opposing fans in your stadium in win or go home games.

The Cowboys should be seeking out every little advantage like that but it'll never happen.

I agree that I hate his mentality but to be fair it doesn't appear to have been an issue. Garopolo several times had to cover his ears when he was getting the play so I don't think it was a SF crowd or anything.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we let Gallup go, I don’t think it sends our passing efficiency careening over a cliff. Probably remains about the same. I think we gotta keep Lamb, though, because he’s in a rookie contract.
Yea I'm not saying we definitely should move him, but I'd consider it so that we could reallocate more resources to the defense/OL.

I'm fine keeping him too, but this idea of surrounding Dak with a bunch of premium weapons should be out the window. He's at his best when we have a strong running game and can work PA off it, and he really loves throwing to guys who know how to sit down in open spaces/zones (Schultz/Wilson) rather than throwing guys open against tight coverage.

So no need for these physical freak WR's who can out physical/jump guys, just get some guys who may not be the most elite athletes but know where to be and present themselves back to Prescott.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree that I hate his mentality but to be fair it doesn't appear to have been an issue. Garopolo several times had to cover his ears when he was getting the play so I don't think it was a SF crowd or anything.
The SF offense was definitely affected by the crowd with a decent number of false starts/delay of games. It might been 15-20% 49ers fans, but that's expected with a team with a national following.

If we had gotten any kind of lead and played even reasonably well the crowd would've definitely snowballed against the Niners offense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea I'm not saying we definitely should move him, but I'd consider it so that we could reallocate more resources to the defense/OL.

I'm fine keeping him too, but this idea of surrounding Dak with a bunch of premium weapons should be out the window. He's at his best when we have a strong running game and can work PA off it, and he really loves throwing to guys who know how to sit down in open spaces/zones (Schultz/Wilson) rather than throwing guys open against tight coverage.

So no need for these physical freak WR's who can out physical/jump guys, just get some guys who may not be the most elite athletes but know where to be and present themselves back to Prescott.
Yeah I almost think I'd let Gallup walk and just look for one of these speedy quick slot guys instead. They are usually cheap and easy to find and may work with Daks style better at this point.

data

Forbes #1
…nevermind our false comeback coincided with Nick Bosa out the entire second half.

Genghis Khan

I just can't fathom having your RB rush for 32 yards and winning many games. But at the same time when he is ripping off 2 yards a carry he isn't doing any good either. It's a problem and unfortunately no matter what it seems like we are going to continue to be fed the Zeke train. I'm sure we will hear again how he worked his tail off in the offseason and is going to be good again. But the stats don't lie, the guy is on a decline. I doubt that changes. Next year will just be even worse. But no one will do anything because he is a great "locker room guy" and has a contract that is brutal to get out of.

Were the stats lying in the first 7 or so games when Zeke looked like a top 5 RB in the league?

Even the Denver game people forget but Zeke was pretty good.

Did he suddenly become worthless literally overnight?

If you look at his stats in the first half versus the second half of the season it's like 2 different players.

I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree. Something else is going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom