2021 Season | Wildcard Weekend | Gameday Chatter Thread | 49ers @ Cowboys | 1/16/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
This. Goddamn, you can't just stand around in the pocket for 5 seconds waiting for guys to be wide open. This is the NFL, gotta get rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds and your windows are going to be small most of the time. Let your fucking receivers earn their fucking money,, they know what they're doing. Sometimes you're gonna throw guys open or put it in a spot where the defender has little chance of getting to it but what you don't do is stand around and take sacks and never throw the ball away.
Dak is incapable of that. That’s what legit franchise QBs do, and he’s never really done that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You have to think Elliott will be better next year than he was over the last half of this year just because he'll be healthy, but Pollard is by far the more dynamic back and Elliott should basically just be a short yardage/goal line back at this point.

Draft another RB in the 5th and split the carries up roughly 40/30/30, with Pollard getting the most.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
But what again has Moore done to make him that special? Or Dak either, for that matter? It makes for a terrible dynamic.
Jerry & Stephen like him. That's pretty much the only thing that makes him special. Cowboys fans should be legitimately concerned that he's going to get the Garrett treatment.

His pairing with Dak was a risky pairing to begin with. Think back to where Dak was when Moore initially transitioned over to the coaching staff. Dak was coming off of a very shaky 2017 season. He was only entering his 3rd year and really needed an experienced coach in his ear to teach him the ropes. That's why I immediately hated the hire. It was essentially a case of the blind leading the blind, IMO.

Fast forward 3 years and it still looks like Dak would benefit a lot more from having someone with legit coaching experience handling him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to think Elliott will be better next year than he was over the last half of this year just because he'll be healthy, but Pollard is by far the more dynamic back and Elliott should basically just be a short yardage/goal line back at this point.

Draft another RB in the 5th and split the carries up roughly 40/30/30, with Pollard getting the most.
Zeke has been on a steady decline for like 2 years straight. He might be healthy to start next season but I have my doubts that it will ever really get better. Our best hope is to have a coach who says fuck your money and is willing to run a 2 or 3 headed monster where Zeke is nothing but a 1/3 of the carries.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I mean really, the fact you and your defense were outplayed by Jimmy G, and even worse I don’t think Jimmy really had much pressure on him yesterday at all.
That was the biggest disappointment of them all -- the total lack of a pass rush.

For the first time in ages, we actually felt good about having the type of pass rush that championship teams need and yet, they were invisible yesterday.

The one area I thought they wouldn't be too hurt in was the passing game and yet the 49ers made way too many plays in the air.

I always knew that this defense could be punished against the right sorts of offenses. What I didn't expect is that the 49ers gimmicky offense to be the one to do it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Zeke has been on a steady decline for like 2 years straight. He might be healthy to start next season but I have my doubts that it will ever really get better.
Yea he won't be dynamic or anything, I just think if he's healthy he'll be better than 2.8 YPC or whatever.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
A good reminder for me came early last week during one of his radio interviews. When asked about the possibility of 49ers fans invading AT&T stadium his response was basically that he likes it and it makes for a fun atmosphere.

Really? So HFA and making the opponent feel uncomfortable and intimidated doesn't mean anything? A sold seat is a sold seat to that jackass.

Every other home team played their
PT Barnum at its finest.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is on us for not gofundme-ing Tex Ace a trip to the game
:lol

I could have gone.

My cousin got 2 tickets but I don't know.....I just didn't feel like going to this one.

So he took a buddy instead and I avoided a long ass 4 hour drive back home.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Dak is incapable of that. That’s what legit franchise QBs do, and he’s never really done that.

Oh, I agree. I had hopes at the beginning of the season that I had been wrong about him but I was right. We overpaid by fucking ton and fielding a competitive team will be even more difficult

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It has everything to do with that …. A head coach is supposed instill his style of play to his team … if he stresses discipline and focus .. his team should be following suit ….MM ain’t that guy and it reared it’s ugly head yet 1 more time .. and cost us the playoffs AGAIN

If this is McCarthy's fault, explain why McCarthy had one of the least penalized teams year after year in GB. But is one of the most in Dallas.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That was the biggest disappointment of them all -- the total lack of a pass rush.

For the first time in ages, we actually felt good about having the type of pass rush that championship teams need and yet, they were invisible yesterday.

The one area I thought they wouldn't be too hurt in was the passing game and yet the 49ers made way too many plays in the air.

I always knew that this defense could be punished against the right sorts of offenses. What I didn't expect is that the 49ers gimmicky offense to be the one to do it.
The easiest way to fuck up the game was by letting the Niners build an early lead and dictate how/when they pass, and of course that's exactly what the team came out and did.

The pass rush started getting there in the second half, and I suspect that if we had jumped out to any sort of lead that Garropolo would've been in for a very tough day, but of course asking for a team to come out focused and locked in for a home playoff game is seemingly too much to ask.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I think the option of releasing Zeke will be on the table. Other teams have moved off of bad RB contracts rather quickly. Surely there's an avenue for the Cowboys to do the same. We'd have to eat some salary but replacement RBs are cheap.

The wildcard as always is Jerry Jones. I could see him pushing to keep Zeke because he's popular and helps sell merch.

If the decision is strictly based on football, Zeke shouldn't be on the 2022 roster.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If this is McCarthy's fault, explain why McCarthy had one of the least penalized teams year after year in GB. But is one of the most in Dallas.
I've never bought the ref conspiracy stuff but this fact really makes me reconsider.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Completely agree. I was over this loss 5 minutes after the final whistle.
Oh yeah.

I've said many times how my interest and passion isn't anywhere near where it used to be, but I think it's even lower than I realized.

I was over that loss before the game was even over. I accepted we were going to lose in the 3rd quarter so I actually missed a good chunk of the 2nd half.

I left the house after the 49ers scored from the Dak interception and drove 30 min into town to meet a buddy for dinner.

When I walked into the restaurant and sat at the bar, the score was 23-17 and the 49ers were about to punt and I was wondering what the hell happened.

:lol

So I saw everything from that point on.

But I'm not even the least bit bothered by the loss. I guess I'm just used to the Cowboys failing.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Zeke has been on a steady decline for like 2 years straight. He might be healthy to start next season but I have my doubts that it will ever really get better. Our best hope is to have a coach who says fuck your money and is willing to run a 2 or 3 headed monster where Zeke is nothing but a 1/3 of the carries.
That’s exactly what needs to happen. Zekes days as a cowbell back are over.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the option of releasing Zeke will be on the table. Other teams have moved off of bad RB contracts rather quickly. Surely there's an avenue for the Cowboys to do the same. We'd have to eat some salary but replacement RBs are cheap.

The wildcard as always is Jerry Jones. I could see him pushing to keep Zeke because he's popular and helps sell merch.

If the decision is strictly based on football, Zeke shouldn't be on the 2022 roster.
I agree, although it'd seem to take some cap gymnastics to just break even, which may be worth it, but it'd also impact our 2023 cap as well. If we keep him next year we can actually save 5 million against the 2023 cap.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Zeke has been done for a couple of years. I don't think an offseason of rest is going to matter that much. He was way overused early in his career and he always favored partying over taking care of his body the way a top pro should.

But I can't see Jerry letting one his pets go, especially after he apparently just forced the guy a bunch of snaps in the most important game of the year... even with recent bad form and a bad knee.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The pass rush started getting there in the second half, and I suspect that if we had jumped out to any sort of lead that Garropolo would've been in for a very tough day, but of course asking for a team to come out focused and locked in for a home playoff game is seemingly too much to ask.
Yeah, that's what I told my dad.

What is it about the 21st century Cowboys that they just cannot seem to ever be ready for their playoff openers?

It doesn't matter if they open up in the wild card round or if they are hosting the divisional round coming off of a bye week -- they are never ready to play.

The only game that I can think of where they came out sharp from the beginning was against the Eagles in 2009.

All the other openers? 2003, 2006, 2007, 2014, 2016, 2018?

All slow starts.

What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom