2021 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Connor Williams is more of an issue in my opinion.
Agreed, it is bad that both play adjacently, creating a hole in the front.

I’m hoping Collins plays LG and covers the weakness in the middle.

This is 1998 all over again with the team cruising along with Deion having his best year in Dallas, and then Deion goes down almost simultaneously as defenses adjusted and attacked the gap between pathetic Clay Shiver and rapidly declining Nate Newton.

After that the offense became inconsistent and the defense couldn’t stop anybody.

Next year they signed Mark Stepnoski as an FA center and Everett McIver to replace Newton, but it was at least a year too late.

p1_

DCC 4Life
you think Philbin is gonna put Collins inside and on the left? Color me not sold on that one. More likely to get McGovern at LG than to move Collins.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Agreed, it is bad that both play adjacently, creating a hole in the front.

This is 1998 all over again with the team cruising along with Deion having his best year in Dallas, and then Deion goes down almost simultaneously as defenses adjusted and attacked the gap between pathetic Clay Shiver and rapidly declining Nate Newton.

After that the offense became inconsistent and the defense couldn’t stop anybody.

Next year they signed Mark Stepnoski as an FA center and Everett McIver to replace Newton, but it was at least a year too late.
We put up nearly 600 yards of offense on the road yesterday, I think we'll be fine.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Note the commentary re: shitty clock management and situational inadequacy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Its always about improving but you are correct. We should all step back and get some perspective.

I'm guilty of it myself.
Yea I mean Williams/Biadasz are the perfect example of not having "steak at all positions" or whatever smitty loves to say. Like, we have 6-7 Pro Bowlers and possibly as many as 4-5 future HOF'ers on offense, just because we're average at 2-3 positions isn't panic-inducing to me.

Like yea, it sucks when you see a play fail because of them, but that's life in the NFL. I'd love to upgrade on either through the draft, and that may even be possible through McGovern or Collins in-season, but it also may be a pipe dream because moving Collins inside to a position he hasn't played in about 5 years in the middle of the season could have unintended consequences.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Instead of his signature celebration being the wipe his helmet thing, I was thinking CD's celebration should be him snatching his cell phone away from someone.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Note the commentary re: shitty clock management and situational inadequacy.
It's definitely an issue.

I'm surprised more people on this board aren't concerned about it.

Is it of the sky is falling severity? No.

But it is something that has become a trend and is it continues, we're going to lose a game because of it.

Unless you're losing, or it's a chance to convert and run out the clock, you should never ever be going for it on 4th down from your own 34.

That's just stupid.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
moving Collins inside to a position he hasn't played in about 5 years in the middle of the season could have unintended consequences.
Agreed. I wouldn't do it unless we get desperate. We just put up almost 600 yards so we're certainly not desperate.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's definitely an issue.

I'm surprised more people on this board aren't concerned about it.

Is it of the sky is falling severity? No.

But it is something that has become a trend and is it continues, we're going to lose a game because of it.

Unless you're losing, or it's a chance to convert and run out the clock, you should never ever be going for it on 4th down from your own 34.

That's just stupid.
Yea they're definitely being too aggressive on 4th down, it's impatience basically. Like yea, I get going for it from the opposing 40-45 or whatever, but the 34 is ridiculous on the first drive of the game, and even going for it against the Giants on the first drive around midfield was a bit much.

That was at home, closer to scoring range and against a worse team so it wasn't quite as bad as yesterday, but it was still unnecessary. I just hope they reign it in during the playoffs because if they go for 4th down on their own 45 against the Rams on the first or second drive of the game it'd be preposterous.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Agreed. I wouldn't do it unless we get desperate. We just put up almost 600 yards so we're certainly not desperate.
I wouldn't completely rule it out since I love the idea of getting your 5 best on the field, but ultimately it's probably unrealistic. This isn't 1998, we just rolled up 600 on the road against a solid defense, we'll be fine.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea they're definitely being too aggressive on 4th down, it's impatience basically. Like yea, I get going for it from the opposing 40-45 or whatever, but the 34 is ridiculous on the first drive of the game, and even going for it against the Giants on the first drive around midfield was a bit much.

That was at home, closer to scoring range and against a worse team so it wasn't quite as bad as yesterday, but it was still unnecessary. I just hope they reign it in during the playoffs because if they go for 4th down on their own 45 against the Rams on the first or second drive of the game it'd be preposterous.
the true concern to me is that its not a new occurence. It was a problem in his Green Bay tenure, and he obviously hasnt learned a thing from his numerous gaffes. It's shockingly dumb. I know Jerry and Stephen have to be shitting themselves when it happens.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't completely rule it out since I love the idea of getting your 5 best on the field, but ultimately it's probably unrealistic. This isn't 1998, we just rolled up 600 on the road against a solid defense, we'll be fine.
I wouldn't mess with it. Great Oline play and especially run blocking is about working as a cohesive unit. The unit has been absolutely dominant on the ground. It's like a thing of beauty where all 5 guys are working and moving together. I'm not screwing with a bunch of changes mid season because our center and LG aren't spectacular. Hell Biadasz has given up one pressure total in the last 3 games.

The only thing I might consider is Connor McGovern at LG. It's only one change and it's with a guy who has been playing guard at a very high level since camp.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Its always about improving but you are correct. We should all step back and get some perspective.

I'm guilty of it myself.
I hear you, but you’re always looking to improve, right?

Why not be unstoppable if it’s in your reach. Belichick’s team is 2-4. They aren’t the competition, it’s the Rams and Bucs you have to beat and each match up against our front really well up the middle.

I also say play your best five, and that includes both Steele and Collins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom