2021 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Would you rather win two in 5 or two in 20?

Give me Jimmy, he built a winner.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Landry or Parcells are your best bets for sustained excellence.

Jimmy won’t last beyond 5 years anywhere. He was perfect for Dallas when he was there.

Also Parcells made the leap to modern coaching, and I don’t know if Landry had the chops for it without Brandt stuffing the stockings with talent for a decade.

I think you’ve got to go Parcells, surprisingly enough

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Landry or Parcells are your best bets for sustained excellence.

Jimmy won’t last beyond 5 years anywhere
Well, Parcells never stayed anywhere very long either, so let's be fair here.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yes that's true, but what I'm saying is, Johnson didn't last more than 5 years anywhere. Not University of Miami, not Ok State, not the Dolphins, not anywhere as an assistant, and of course not here.

I don't think he could've ever had it in him to have the sustained success Landry had (no matter the owner) because he was never going to stay anywhere long enough, which to me gives Landry the advantage between the two.
Correct. Yeah, Jerry was a douche but Jimmy was already looking for a way out. Even if the infamous "500 coaches" stuff never happened, Jimmy was looking for a way out. That stupidity only hastened it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Would you rather win two in 5 or two in 20?

Give me Jimmy, he built a winner.
As much as I love Jimmy, without the all-timer boneheaded trade agreed to by Mike Lynn and the Vikings, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say we don't have the success we did in his short time here. Landry had sustained success for a very long time. He's my choice.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
As much as I love Jimmy, without the all-timer boneheaded trade agreed to by Mike Lynn and the Vikings, I think it's a pretty safe bet to say we don't have the success we did in his short time here. Landry had sustained success for a very long time. He's my choice.
and Landry took an expansion team and had them in the Championship game in year 6.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm still torn.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm still torn.
Still? Jimmy really didn't have to do anything to get the franchise QB.

I feel bad for tearing down Jimmy's accomplishments but he didnt have to build it the hard way.

data

Forbes #1
For their era, gotta go with Landry. I don’t know Landry would mesh with today’s primadonnas. Hell, would Jimmuh?

Anyways, Landry cuz he went to championship games with three different cores of players (late 60s, mid 70s and early 80s). On the other hand, not only did Jimmuh get the Herschel payload, but he had the upper-hand knowledge of the college players going into the 89 - 92 drafts since he coached/opposed them. Jimmuh’s track record with the Dolphins suffered without his college coaching insight - Sam Madison, Patrick Surtain, Zack Thomas and Jason Taylor, but essentially all-or-nothing as he missed on all his 1st rounders and no other solid role players (though infinitely better still than GM Jerry 1996-99)

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As he should be.

Landry was the steady and really innovated the sport.

Jimmy was a pretty good ball coach who knew how to manipulate people.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For their era, gotta go with Landry. I don’t know Landry would mesh with today’s primadonnas. Hell, would Jimmuh?
No.

There is probably a reason some teams are going for the young head coaches now.

What is funny is that it is a cycle that repeats itself.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They'd adapt just like today's coaches have done over the years. Back when those guys were coaches, organizations had a lot more control over players. Therefore it was a lot easier to be a bit of a dictator with your team.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
As he should be.

Landry was the steady and really innovated the sport.

Jimmy was a pretty good ball coach who knew how to manipulate people.
and there's no such thing as a "Johnson hitch"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They'd adapt just like today's coaches have done over the years. Back when those guys were coaches, organizations had a lot more control over players. Therefore it was a lot easier to be a bit of a dictator with your team.
Players were paid like a gig job.

Cotton

Staff member
Okay, because of the way the teams were built, I have chosen to go with Landry. It's still not an easy call, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom