2021 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd be fine with Farley assuming he runs like a 4.38-4.42 as is expected, same goes for Surtain if he can time that fast.

Each of them, presuming they have that legit speed, are legit top 10-15 type CB's, especially Farley who has awesome ball skills.

They wouldn't be my first choice but it's not like they'd be reaches either.

That decision is in a vacuum though, I'd rather trade down and get someone like Barmore for sure.
I have taken some time to look at the both of them and I value Farley more.

My deal is he took the year off.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I wish he had played this year. I worry about a guy's competitive nature if he took the year off. But a lot of top guys did so I'm not sure that's fair.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Trevon Moehrig looks to be climbing from what I'm seeing in draft rankings. I was hoping he'd be there for us in the 2nd but now if you can believe these things, it looks doubtful he'll fall out of the middle to late first.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Yea of the two I prefer Farley, has better ball skills downfield and I think has more untapped potential than Surtain who is extremely refined for his age.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I guess I have to accept that CB is happening. Again.

Farley plays with more violence and is a natural ballhawk. Two big pluses in his favor. He’s my choice over Surtain and Horn.

Someone mocked Nixon to,us in the second round. Hard to see that happening with Kiper now listing him as his 10th overall prospect, but I can hope.

Farley in the first and would be more than made up for with a jackpot like Nixon in the second.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I guess I have to accept that CB is happening. Again.

Farley plays with more violence and is a natural ballhawk. Two big pluses in his favor. He’s my choice over Surtain and Horn.

Someone mocked Nixon to,us in the second round. Hard to see that happening with Kiper now listing him as his 10th overall prospect, but I can hope.

Farley in the first and would be more than made up for with a jackpot like Nixon in the second.
I'm ok with a CB in the first if we're aggressive moving up if a guy like Zaven Collins, Barmore or Nixon drop towards the late 1/early 2 area, or of course if we manage to get lucky enough with one of them just falling to the 2nd.

If we turn around and take a TE in the 2nd or some shit it's going to be not great.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The way you carry on, you make it sound like we draft CBs in the first every damn year.

Not even close.
No, you are the one who is trying to make it sound like I said that,

Dallas has drafted them 5 to 1 over DTs (or Safeties) since 1991. That’s out of whack and is evidence the team doesn’t understand how to build defenses.

We haven’t had strong defenses since the first half of the 90’s, and our better defensive rankings have come when our offense controls the clock with the running game.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No, you are the one who is trying to make it sound like I said that,
:lol

You DID say that in a post a day or so ago when you were bemoaning the fact we might take another CB in the first again. Maybe not in those exact words, but at least was certainly carrying on about how we always take CBs high. You certainly know how to throw hyperbole around, that’s for sure.

Reread the post I quoted. Maybe you have another definition for the word ‘again’. I don’t know.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah... again, not ‘every damn year’
Sure. The way it was said didn’t imply anything. Uh huh.

Besides, I said you “carry on like”. I didn’t say you actually said it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Trevon Moehrig looks to be climbing from what I'm seeing in draft rankings. I was hoping he'd be there for us in the 2nd but now if you can believe these things, it looks doubtful he'll fall out of the middle to late first.
Yeah, he is a pipe dream to make it into the 2nd.

It is also a pipe dream to think we value safety enough to pick one in the second.

His teammate Ar'Darius Washington is pretty solid too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys mock draft: Who could Dallas be looking at in the first 3 rounds?

By Jon Machota 1h ago

Although the Super Bowl is still two weeks away, the NFL Draft takes place in three months, so mock draft season is here for the other 30 teams. There will be plenty of time between now and then to project what the Cowboys might do with all of their picks. But for today, we’re focusing on the first three rounds.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic’s draft expert, published his Top 100 draft board last Thursday. That seems like a good tool to use to project what Dallas might be looking at when its on the clock. To give you an idea of the possibilities, we used The Draft Network’s mock draft simulator to predict what other teams might do and combined it with Brugler’s list as if it was the Cowboys’ big board.

Here is what was available and who we had the Cowboys taking with their first four picks.

First round, No. 10 overall: Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

The first nine picks were Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, BYU QB Zach Wilson, LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase, Michigan DE Kwity Paye, Oregon OT Penei Sewell, Alabama WR DeVonta Smith, Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle, Ohio State QB Justin Fields and Alabama CB Patrick Surtain II.
The best available when the Cowboys went on the clock, according to Brugler’s board, were Farley, Florida TE Kyle Pitts, Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater, Virginia Tech OT Christian Darrisaw and Penn State LB Micah Parsons.

Considering all of the help the Cowboys need on defense, Farley made too much sense. He’d likely start immediately opposite of Trevon Diggs, giving Dallas an impressive cornerback tandem that could be excellent for a while. Farley (6-2, 205) opted out last season because of COVID-19 concerns, but he had four interceptions and 12 passes defended in 10 games as a sophomore in 2019. With Blake Jarwin returning from his knee injury and Dalton Schultz emerging last season, tight end isn’t a major need. Offensive tackle would make some sense, especially considering that Tyron Smith has struggled to stay healthy for the last five seasons. Linebacker could also be in play here, especially if new defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is concerned about the position.

Brugler: “Farley checks boxes with his size, speed and reaction skills while also developing his comfort level on defense, which has allowed him to anticipate the action and play ultracompetitive. With only two years of experience at corner, he needs continued work with his route recognition and fundamental muscle memory, but the majority of his flaws are due to inexperience and not inability.”

Second round, No. 42 overall: Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama.

Other notable players still on the board when this pick was made: TCU safety Trevon Moehrig, North Carolina linebacker Chazz Surratt, and Florida State cornerback Asante Samuel Jr.

This wasn’t a difficult decision. It’s highly unlikely that Barmore will fall this far. But, then again, who thought Diggs would fall to No. 51 last year? The defensive tackle position still needs a lot of help and Barmore would go a long way in fixing that issue. In 11 games for the national champion Crimson Tide this past season, Barmore (6-5, 310) recorded eight sacks, six quarterback pressures, nine and a half tackles for loss and forced three fumbles. He was also named Defensive MVP of this year’s national championship game.

Mixing Barmore in with Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, Antwaun Woods (restricted free agent) and any other veterans the Cowboys add in free agency would suddenly make the interior of their defensive line look much more solid. Quinn’s specialty is the defensive line. There’s no question he’ll work to improve that area immediately. Moehrig could also be possibility here, especially if Quinn sees him as the perfect fit to play next to Donovan Wilson. If the Cowboys didn’t go cornerback in the first round, there should be plenty of good options still available at this point.

Photo: John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Brugler: “Barmore has been my DT1 since the summer, but it was mostly based on potential until midway through the 2020 season, when he started to play like one of the best interior defensive linemen in the country. Only a redshirt sophomore, he is still learning, but the traits are going to be enticing in the mid-first round.”

Third round, No. 74 overall: Jevon Holland, S, Oregon

Some of the other top prospects still on the board were Alabama linebacker Dylan Moses, Pittsburgh defensive end Rashad Weaver and Florida State safety Hamsah Nasirildeen.

Safety is one of the team’s biggest needs, and this seemed like a great spot to get the second-best safety on Brugler’s board. Moehrig, Brugler’s top safety, was already gone. Holland opted out of last season to prepare for this year’s draft.

He had nine interceptions and 10 passes defended in 27 games at Oregon. That sounds like exactly what the Cowboys need on the back end of their defense. Making the move to Quinn’s Cover 3 scheme, Dallas needs someone they can pair with Wilson who can play the deep safety spot. Wilson is a better fit at strong safety. The Cowboys would be pretty fortunate to land these three defensive starters with their first three picks.

Brugler (when Holland opted out in September): “Primarily a nickel defensive back at Oregon, Holland is an easy prospect to like because of his anticipation and ball reaction. He shows the mandatory intelligence to quickly read run or pass and takes advantage of offensive mistakes. But he lacks elite athletic traits, which is why scouts have been lukewarm on his NFL projection. His diagnose skills will serve him well in the NFL, but scouts were hoping for one more season of tape from Holland to best identify his next level role.”

Third round, No. 99 overall: Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh

Other notable prospects still available during this pick: Houston DE Payton Turner, Northern Iowa OT Spencer Brown, and North Carolina State DT Alim McNeill.

Compensatory picks have not been officially announced, but it’s likely the Cowboys will add a selection after the third round due to Byron Jones signing in Miami last year. Patrick Jones was largely the pick because of his production the last two seasons. He totaled nine sacks and 12 and a half tackles for loss in 2020. He finished with eight and a half sacks, 11 and a half tackles for loss and four forced fumbles in 2019. Brugler ranked him 99th overall on his latest big board.

DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory seem like a good bet to start at the two end spots as the Cowboys move back to their base 4-3 front. Dorance Armstrong and Bradlee Anae should provide some depth. But the Cowboys need more off the edge. They could potentially bring back Aldon Smith. They also could look to sign an affordable veteran in free agency. But that shouldn’t stop them from continuing to try to find pass rushers in the draft.

This would be the first time since 2012 that the Cowboys used their first four picks on defensive players. They used their first three on defense in 2017. And you’re probably not going to want to hear this, but neither draft ended up going great for the Cowboys. In 2012, those first four picks were used on CB Morris Claiborne, DL Tyrone Crawford, LB Kyle Wilber and S Matt Johnson. In 2017, they picked DE Taco Charlton, CB Chidobe Awuzie and CB Jourdan Lewis in the first three rounds.

With that said, it would be a bad plan to avoid using several early picks on defense simply because it didn’t work in the past. There’s no other realistic way they’re going to significantly improve the talent on that side of the ball. The Cowboys offense has the talent to compete with the NFL’s best. But their defense isn’t close to the teams that played in Sunday’s conference championship games. Expect to see them use several of their top picks on defense.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Cowboys mock draft: Who could Dallas be looking at in the first 3 rounds?

By Jon Machota 1h ago

Although the Super Bowl is still two weeks away, the NFL Draft takes place in three months, so mock draft season is here for the other 30 teams. There will be plenty of time between now and then to project what the Cowboys might do with all of their picks. But for today, we’re focusing on the first three rounds.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic’s draft expert, published his Top 100 draft board last Thursday. That seems like a good tool to use to project what Dallas might be looking at when its on the clock. To give you an idea of the possibilities, we used The Draft Network’s mock draft simulator to predict what other teams might do and combined it with Brugler’s list as if it was the Cowboys’ big board.

Here is what was available and who we had the Cowboys taking with their first four picks.

The first nine picks were Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, BYU QB Zach Wilson, LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase, Michigan DE Kwity Paye, Oregon OT Penei Sewell, Alabama WR DeVonta Smith, Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle, Ohio State QB Justin Fields and Alabama CB Patrick Surtain II.
The best available when the Cowboys went on the clock, according to Brugler’s board, were Farley, Florida TE Kyle Pitts, Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater, Virginia Tech OT Christian Darrisaw and Penn State LB Micah Parsons.

Considering all of the help the Cowboys need on defense, Farley made too much sense. He’d likely start immediately opposite of Trevon Diggs, giving Dallas an impressive cornerback tandem that could be excellent for a while. Farley (6-2, 205) opted out last season because of COVID-19 concerns, but he had four interceptions and 12 passes defended in 10 games as a sophomore in 2019. With Blake Jarwin returning from his knee injury and Dalton Schultz emerging last season, tight end isn’t a major need. Offensive tackle would make some sense, especially considering that Tyron Smith has struggled to stay healthy for the last five seasons. Linebacker could also be in play here, especially if new defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is concerned about the position.

Brugler: “Farley checks boxes with his size, speed and reaction skills while also developing his comfort level on defense, which has allowed him to anticipate the action and play ultracompetitive. With only two years of experience at corner, he needs continued work with his route recognition and fundamental muscle memory, but the majority of his flaws are due to inexperience and not inability.”

Second round, No. 42 overall: Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama.

Other notable players still on the board when this pick was made: TCU safety Trevon Moehrig, North Carolina linebacker Chazz Surratt, and Florida State cornerback Asante Samuel Jr.

This wasn’t a difficult decision. It’s highly unlikely that Barmore will fall this far. But, then again, who thought Diggs would fall to No. 51 last year? The defensive tackle position still needs a lot of help and Barmore would go a long way in fixing that issue. In 11 games for the national champion Crimson Tide this past season, Barmore (6-5, 310) recorded eight sacks, six quarterback pressures, nine and a half tackles for loss and forced three fumbles. He was also named Defensive MVP of this year’s national championship game.

Mixing Barmore in with Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, Antwaun Woods (restricted free agent) and any other veterans the Cowboys add in free agency would suddenly make the interior of their defensive line look much more solid. Quinn’s specialty is the defensive line. There’s no question he’ll work to improve that area immediately. Moehrig could also be possibility here, especially if Quinn sees him as the perfect fit to play next to Donovan Wilson. If the Cowboys didn’t go cornerback in the first round, there should be plenty of good options still available at this point.

Photo: John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Brugler: “Barmore has been my DT1 since the summer, but it was mostly based on potential until midway through the 2020 season, when he started to play like one of the best interior defensive linemen in the country. Only a redshirt sophomore, he is still learning, but the traits are going to be enticing in the mid-first round.”

Third round, No. 74 overall: Jevon Holland, S, Oregon

Some of the other top prospects still on the board were Alabama linebacker Dylan Moses, Pittsburgh defensive end Rashad Weaver and Florida State safety Hamsah Nasirildeen.

Safety is one of the team’s biggest needs, and this seemed like a great spot to get the second-best safety on Brugler’s board. Moehrig, Brugler’s top safety, was already gone. Holland opted out of last season to prepare for this year’s draft.

He had nine interceptions and 10 passes defended in 27 games at Oregon. That sounds like exactly what the Cowboys need on the back end of their defense. Making the move to Quinn’s Cover 3 scheme, Dallas needs someone they can pair with Wilson who can play the deep safety spot. Wilson is a better fit at strong safety. The Cowboys would be pretty fortunate to land these three defensive starters with their first three picks.

Brugler (when Holland opted out in September): “Primarily a nickel defensive back at Oregon, Holland is an easy prospect to like because of his anticipation and ball reaction. He shows the mandatory intelligence to quickly read run or pass and takes advantage of offensive mistakes. But he lacks elite athletic traits, which is why scouts have been lukewarm on his NFL projection. His diagnose skills will serve him well in the NFL, but scouts were hoping for one more season of tape from Holland to best identify his next level role.”

Third round, No. 99 overall: Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh

Other notable prospects still available during this pick: Houston DE Payton Turner, Northern Iowa OT Spencer Brown, and North Carolina State DT Alim McNeill.

Compensatory picks have not been officially announced, but it’s likely the Cowboys will add a selection after the third round due to Byron Jones signing in Miami last year. Patrick Jones was largely the pick because of his production the last two seasons. He totaled nine sacks and 12 and a half tackles for loss in 2020. He finished with eight and a half sacks, 11 and a half tackles for loss and four forced fumbles in 2019. Brugler ranked him 99th overall on his latest big board.

DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory seem like a good bet to start at the two end spots as the Cowboys move back to their base 4-3 front. Dorance Armstrong and Bradlee Anae should provide some depth. But the Cowboys need more off the edge. They could potentially bring back Aldon Smith. They also could look to sign an affordable veteran in free agency. But that shouldn’t stop them from continuing to try to find pass rushers in the draft.

This would be the first time since 2012 that the Cowboys used their first four picks on defensive players. They used their first three on defense in 2017. And you’re probably not going to want to hear this, but neither draft ended up going great for the Cowboys. In 2012, those first four picks were used on CB Morris Claiborne, DL Tyrone Crawford, LB Kyle Wilber and S Matt Johnson. In 2017, they picked DE Taco Charlton, CB Chidobe Awuzie and CB Jourdan Lewis in the first three rounds.

With that said, it would be a bad plan to avoid using several early picks on defense simply because it didn’t work in the past. There’s no other realistic way they’re going to significantly improve the talent on that side of the ball. The Cowboys offense has the talent to compete with the NFL’s best. But their defense isn’t close to the teams that played in Sunday’s conference championship games. Expect to see them use several of their top picks on defense.
I’d be ecstatic with this haul. Even though I hate taking CB in the first. But the two picks that make up for it (Barmore & Jones) I don’t think will be available at those spots.

Cotton

Staff member
I won't post the whole article because it would be a pain in the ass, but DMN's latest mock:

Round 1: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
Round 2: Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia
Round 3: Elijah Molden, DB, Washington
Round 3: Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington
Round 4: Baron Browning, LB, Ohio State
Round 4: Caden Sterns, S, Texas
Round 5: Khyiris Tonga, NT, BYU
Round 6: Jaret Patterson, RB, Buffalo
Round 6: Tarron Jackson, DE, Coastal Carolina
Round 7: Zac Thomas, QB, Appalachian State

Full article is at 7-round Cowboys mock draft: With top CBs off the board, Dallas uses first pick on best player available

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That is atrocious.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys mock draft with Dane Brugler’s expert analysis of Dallas’ first 4 picks

By Jon Machota and Dane Brugler 32m ago

Last week, we participated in our first mock draft of the year. To get an early idea of what could be there for the Cowboys on the first two days of April’s NFL Draft, we logged into The Draft Network’s mock draft simulator and made Dallas’ first four picks. We used Dane Brugler’s Top 100 draft board as a guide to rank the top prospects on our big board.

Since Brugler just returned from the Senior Bowl, we conducted a new mock and had The Athletic’s NFL Draft expert give his take on our first three rounds.

Here are the four picks, complete with Brugler’s analysis.

This ended up being the same pick as our previous mock. Other notable players who were still available at this pick: Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle, South Carolina CB Jaycee Horn, Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater, Florida TE Kyle Pitts and North Dakota State QB Trey Lance. The Cowboys need help all over their defense, but especially at cornerback with Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis about to become unrestricted free agents. Dallas was able to get great value at cornerback in last year’s draft, selecting Trevon Diggs in the second round. Similar success could potentially be found again this year, but why not take the player many consider to be the top corner in this class?

Brugler: I think that would be a great pick. I’ve been a big Caleb Farley fan since the summer. He has been my Cornerback No. 1 since the summer. Even though he hasn’t played this year, he has still been the guy. I think he has tremendous upside. You’re talking about a player who has the size, has the speed, ball instincts. I think that would be a great pick for the Cowboys at 10.

I think when you look at the other options that are available, first of all, I don’t think they would take Kyle Pitts, but it would be awfully tough to pass on him. He’s one of the top five talents in this class, just a true unicorn with how he attacks defenses and with what you can do with him. It would be really tough to pass on him. Rashawn Slater, to me, is the one that it would come down to Farley or Slater if I’m making that pick. I’m a big Slater fan. I think he can really play all five offensive line positions. He can play guard and tackle, and he’s been working out at center. There’s a lot you could do with a player with that versatility and with that level of talent. He can step in and play guard and then he’s your eventual starter at left tackle whenever that day comes. The chance to fix the offensive line with a high-end talent would do wonders for the offense. Me personally, I think that’s the direction I would go. But if you’re going to go defense, then I think there’s no question that Farley would be the right pick there.

What NFL tight end would you compare Pitts to?

Brugler:
He can be out there on every down, it’s just how you use him. I think the blueprint for Kyle Pitts is to watch the Raiders’ offense and see how they use Darren Waller. He’s that move tight end where you could line him up in-line and he could execute basic blocks, but you want him down the field. You want him stressing the defense. You can line him up in the slot, you can line him up outside. The defense having to account for him, that’s part of the appeal with Kyle Pitts and what he can do. Just him being out there and running routes is going to get the defense’s attention and that’s a win for the offense. I think more so than the other tight ends like George Kittle and Travis Kelce, Darren Waller is really the blueprint.

Second round, No. 42 overall: Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

The Cowboys haven’t drafted a true safety in the first two rounds since Roy Williams in 2002. They might not end that streak this year, but this seemed like good value at another position of need, especially considering the expected switch back to more Cover-3 looks under new defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. Dallas needs a free safety it can count on in coverage. Moehrig is widely regarded as the top safety in this class. Other notable players who were still available at this pick: Notre Dame OT Liam Eichenberg, Penn State DE Jayson Oweh and UCF safety Richie Grant.

Brugler: Moehrig is who I had them picking in the second round of my mock draft. I think it makes sense. He’s a really rangy player. I think the versatility that he offers is huge because you can line him up single-high, you can line him up in the slot, you can just do so many different things. He’s very instinctive, he’s a solid tackler, outstanding ball skills. If you get him in the second round, I think that’s excellent value. I think there’s a good chance he could sneak into that first round. But if he’s available in the second, I love the value. If he’s gone, Richie Grant is the next-best safety and I think he’d be a great value there as well.

Just like it would be tough for me to pass on Rashawn Slater, it would be tough for me to pass on Jayson Oweh there because I think he’s a first-round talent. He’s a guy that’s going to get beaten up throughout the process because he has zero sacks this year. But when you watch his tape, he’s consistently in the backfield. So the zero sacks are more of a notable statistic because he just didn’t get home and finish, but he was consistently disrupting what the offense was trying to do. He’s got that fluid lower body. He can explode through pass-blockers. He’s got that first-step twitch where he can soften the edge and really give blockers trouble in space. He was a basketball-first athlete most of his life, so he’s still learning and figuring things out. But I love his ceiling. I think he could end up being, like, an 80-percent version of a Myles Garrett. I think that’s his ceiling as an NFL player. In the second round, outside of the top 40 picks, I’m taking my chances on that upside every time. It would be awfully tough for me to pass on Jayson Oweh there. But I do like the Moehrig pick. I think that makes sense for what that defense needs, and I think the value is certainly there.

A player who went right before Moehrig in this mock draft is Alabama defensive tackle Christian Barmore. Is there any chance he could fall to the Cowboys in the second round?

Brugler:
I wouldn’t say it’s a lock that he’s going in the first round because he’s still a very young player. He’s still figuring some things out. It’s more flashes than anything. But there’s a very, very good chance because I think he’s the top defensive tackle. And the chances of us going an entire first round without a defensive tackle drafted is a very low chance. Him being the top guy, I think there’s a very good chance he goes in the first. You never say never, but it would be a shock to see him still available for the Cowboys in the second.

If they don’t draft a cornerback in the first round, who are some players with good size who could be a possibility in maybe the second or third rounds?

Brugler:
I think Ifeatu Melifonwu from Syracuse. He’s 6-2 and a half. He’s 212 pounds, over 32-inch arms. The size is definitely there. He’s a freaky athlete. He can play press-man coverage, he can play Cover-3. His brother Obi (2017 second-round pick) didn’t exactly love football, and Ifeatu is considered more of an NFL guy. He’s just a different person, a different type of player, which is a positive thing. I think he could be in that mix. An interesting one is Tyson Campbell (Georgia). He is so talented. This guy is exactly how you want guys at the cornerback position to look with his size and athleticism. I just really worry about him finding the football. He doesn’t do it consistently. And he just doesn’t play loose. The physical traits are there. It’s just can he be more consistent finding the football, playing the football and just staying on top of routes and understanding what’s happening. Because of that, he could fall out of the top 40 picks and be in consideration in that mid-second round mix because there are a lot of things in his favor.

Third round, No. 74 overall: Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State

There was a lot of hype about Wilson going into this past college football season, however, he didn’t play at the level many were expecting. Wilson was the No. 1 defensive tackle prospect coming out of high school in 2017. In four years at FSU, he finished with 9.5 sacks, nine QB pressures, 15 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. Other notable defensive tackles who were still available at this pick: USC’s Marlon Tuipulotu, North Carolina State’s Alim McNeill, LSU’s Tyler Shelvin and UCLA’s Osa Odighizuwa.

Brugler: Wilson was a second-rounder coming into the year. His senior year, there were flashes here and there. He had two blocked field goals in one game. But overall, he looked like he was playing with too much weight. At the Senior Bowl, he was 320. I would like to see him closer to 310 or even 305 to help with his movements. He’s too off-balance at times. There’s too much going on with him for me to grade him as a top-100 player. I think he’s an early Day 3 pick. The size and talent are there, it’s just he struggles to play with balance through contact, and he just doesn’t play explosive. That really hinders him from being a consistent factor in the backfield. If I’m not getting consistent production and worried about body composition and things like that, I’m not going to draft you in the top 100.

But if we’re going defensive tackle there, I like Tuipulotu much more than Marvin Wilson. I would have drafted him or McNeill. Tuipulotu is a guy that gives you one-technique and three-technique versatility. He’s not a traditional nose tackle, but he played nose tackle for USC. He’s got a big, strong frame, but he can also give you a little bit of pass rush because he’s quick at the snap. He’s got the agility where he can play in different gaps. He has strong hands. There are a lot of things you can do with him as an inside depth piece that can play different gaps.

Third round, No. 99 overall: Rashad Weaver, DE, Pittsburgh (Compensatory picks have not been officially announced, but it’s likely the Cowboys will add a selection after the third round due to Byron Jones signing in Miami last year.)

The Cowboys are expected to go into the 2021 season with DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory as their starting edge rushers. Dorance Armstrong and Bradlee Anae are the only other edge rushers under contract on the roster. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Dallas addressed the position at some point in the first two days of this year’s draft. Other top edge rushers who were still available at this pick: Washington’s Joe Tryon, Pittsburgh’s Patrick Jones II and Oklahoma’s Ronnie Perkins.

Brugler: We don’t have that slam dunk, top-10 pass rusher in this draft class. We might not have a pass rusher go in the top 15 this year, which is rare. We’ve been spoiled with Myles Garrett, Joey and Nick Bosa, and Chase Young. But what I love about this draft class is that the pass-rush position is going to stretch late-first, second, third and even into the beginning stages of Day 3. There’s going to be plenty of pass rushers drafted. Maybe not the no-doubt-about-it, slam-dunk Pro Bowlers, but guys with talent. Joe Tryon, to me, he belongs somewhere in the top two rounds. So if he’s there in the third round, I’m jumping all over that. Even though he opted out this year, he’s still very young as a player, basically a one-year starter in college. He looks like an action figure. He’s got that muscular frame. He’s so quick and accelerates so well for a 265-pounder. There’s so much going for him. He’s got the mental makeup, he’s got the physical traits. He reminds me a little bit of Marcus Davenport when he was coming out of UTSA in 2018 and selected by the Saints in the first round. I think he’s got some of that to him.

And I’m a big fan of Rashad Weaver, more so than Patrick Jones, his teammate, who I know some people really like. But, to me, Rashad Weaver is a better football player. He’s not maybe a dynamic athlete but NFL standard, and that’s why he might not go higher, but he’s stout at the point of attack, he can stack and shed, and he’s very reliable versus the pass and the run. There are different things he can give you. He’s very long. I love his hand work at the top of the rush. I think his versatility and the fact you can keep him on the field in any situation and any scheme is something that’s a strong selling point for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom