2021 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Either way the more I saw Barmore the more I liked. He just looks like the complete package to me. He has really developed into what looks like the ideal DT to me.
You mentioned he stuffs the run, and my thoughts were that he seems to mentally be a pass-first DL and that gets him in trouble on running plays.

And I like Rousseau a lot but it's a lot of projection. I don't think he will survive in the NFL as a 265 pound DE. So I'm projecting that the guy can get up closer to 285 and be more of a David Irving type Dlineman.
Yes, it's a ton of projection for sure. But he was just so damned productive and has this nice natural build where he leans forward in the interior and puts a lot of power into a narrow space. When he shoots gaps he's really hard to stop.

Irving is exactly whom he reminds me of, and I think being 6'7" he's definitely going to put on weight.

The kid is in shape for sure, and does not seem to be one of these DL who would gain weight via fast food. Just grab some creatine and hit the gym and this guy is going to be really good.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I am just hoping there are at least one or two guys we are not talking about right now that just zoom up.
You heard it here first...

That name is Trey Lance. We are going to trade down with somebody wanting to move up to get him. Laser rocket arm, with crazy running ability. Word around here is the Minnesota Vikings are quite enamored with him and are thinking long and hard about taking him at 14. Maybe somebody like the Patriots would be interested in getting out in front of the Vikes for him. Or maybe the Vikes themselves move up to ensure they get him.

Hell. Maybe we should take him. :unsure

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You heard it here first...

That name is Trey Lance. We are going to trade down with somebody wanting to move up to get him. Laser rocket arm, with crazy running ability. Word around here is the Minnesota Vikings are quite enamored with him and are thinking long and hard about taking him at 14. Maybe somebody like that Patriots would be interested in getting out in front of the Vikes for him. Or maybe the Vikes themselves move up to ensure they get him.

Hell. Maybe we should take him. :unsure
I have zero doubt that he is a consideration as one of the top QBs. He is not in the top three tier, but he's next.

He is the kind of prospect that might make a team trade up thinking he is the next Mahomes.

I am praying he is there on the clock.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I have zero doubt that he is a consideration as one of the top QBs. He is not in the top three tier, but he's next.

He is the kind of prospect that might make a team trade up thinking he is the next Mahomes.

I am praying he is there on the clock.
I hope so. I've seen a couple mocks where the Panthers take him at 8. Maybe looking for their next Cam Newton. But one with a brain.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we can't trade down we have to take someone and ultimately it's probably going to be someone we've already talked about (Parsons, Rousseau, Slater, Barmore, Collins, Paye, one of the CB's).

It's definitely not ideal, which is why I'd consider Pitts since he would arguably be the BPA, but that's its own kind of "less than ideal".

Trading down is obviously the move but if it doesn't materialize we have to pick someone, and I don't like the chances of a relative unknown zooming up the boards all the way to being a clear BPA at 10.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we can't trade down we have to take someone and ultimately it's probably going to be someone we've already talked about (Parsons, Rousseau, Slater, Barmore, Collins, Paye, one of the CB's).

It's definitely not ideal, which is why I'd consider Pitts since he would arguably be the BPA, but that's its own kind of "less than ideal".

Trading down is obviously the move but if it doesn't materialize we have to pick someone, and I don't like the chances of a relative unknown zooming up the boards all the way to being a clear BPA at 10.
An unknown no, but guys get overlooked until late in the process sometimes. I'm excited to see some guys in the Senior Bowl and such. Plus the combine seems like it will be extra interesting with all the guys who didn't play last year.

I'm not just taking a DT for the sake of taking one but I'm excited to see how things progress with Barmore and Nixon. Jaylen Twyman also sat out this year but he really intrigues me. Super productive pass rusher who I think is really flying under the radar. 12 sack DT only a year ago. Guy has a nasty swim move, if you haven't watched him you should.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jaylen Twyman is definitely interesting. He’s stocky but huge and a penetrator. A little bit of a showoff, but definitely a riser who could be like Rousseau.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Mel has Daviyon Nixon as his 10th best. Parsons is 6th.
McShay has Surtain at 7 and Parsons at 3.

Nixon is interesting too, everyone loves him after that Penn St pick 6. Lots more to learn once we get into February.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
An unknown no, but guys get overlooked until late in the process sometimes. I'm excited to see some guys in the Senior Bowl and such. Plus the combine seems like it will be extra interesting with all the guys who didn't play last year.

I'm not just taking a DT for the sake of taking one but I'm excited to see how things progress with Barmore and Nixon. Jaylen Twyman also sat out this year but he really intrigues me. Super productive pass rusher who I think is really flying under the radar. 12 sack DT only a year ago. Guy has a nasty swim move, if you haven't watched him you should.
I still don't really see anybody rising that dramatically, at least to the point of being a clearly superior option.

Someone like Owusu-Koramoah, Rashad Weaver or Jaelan Phillips could work their way into the group we've discussed but I'd really be shocked if someone jumped up and were the clear BPA.

This is obviously a difficult class to get a read on, much more so than usual given the circumstances, so I guess you can't say never.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's clockwork.

Newman, Jenkins, Claiborne, this guy...

IMG_2464_600_cropped.jpg
Jerry must be feeling itchy because it's going on six drafts since we last went there. And that doesn't even count Goodrich, Awuzie, Lewis, and Diggs taken in the 2nd round.

Last time we drafted a DT in the 1st was Russell Maryland in 1991. Only helped form the foundation of was was to be a consistent top defense. I'm sure Jerry will think it was Kevin Smith who was drafted a year later.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Jerry must be feeling itchy because it's going on six drafts since we last went there. And that doesn't even count Goodrich, Awuzie, Lewis, and Diggs taken in the 2nd round.
FWIW Lewis was a 3rd rounder. Same year Awuzie was taken in the second.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
FWIW Lewis was a 3rd rounder. Same year Awuzie was taken in the second.
Yeah I don't think we have necessarily gone corner crazy in recent years. You really start essentially 3 corners in todays NFL and I don't think we have really gone over the top with it. Claiborne was the last time I think this team really got a hard on for a corner in the draft. I'd be curious to see how we rate among most NFL teams with drafting corners. I'm guessing we aren't crazy high by any means. Still, I agree with the concept that you sort of have to get everything else right before you start worrying about your corners. If you can't stop the run or pressure the QB your corners can only do so much.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Welcome to the PFF Cowboys

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Five first round CB's since 1991, six DE's (not counting Ware), one DT (Maryland), one S (Roy).

Sure a couple of years back we used our top pick (2nd round) to reach for Trysten Hill.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Five first round CB's since 1991, six DE's (not counting Ware), one DT (Maryland), one S (Roy).

Sure a couple of years back we used our top pick (2nd round) to reach for Trysten Hill.
I definitely think we have neglected DT and safety. And yet they still never remain a priority.

I guess it also depends on how you define Byron Jones who started as a safety but really made his money as a corner.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I guess it also depends on how you define Byron Jones who started as a safety but really made his money as a corner.
I think they intended him to be a corner all along and were just trying to get their most talented people on the field when they tried him at safety.

They just don't associate flashy stats with interior DL, even though it's clear the best and most competitive defenses have studs up front.

There just are no shortcuts in football.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah I don't think we have necessarily gone corner crazy in recent years.
We haven't. But that won't stop people from carrying on like we have. It's the same tired story every draft season.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with Farley assuming he runs like a 4.38-4.42 as is expected, same goes for Surtain if he can time that fast.

Each of them, presuming they have that legit speed, are legit top 10-15 type CB's, especially Farley who has awesome ball skills.

They wouldn't be my first choice but it's not like they'd be reaches either.

That decision is in a vacuum though, I'd rather trade down and get someone like Barmore for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom