2021 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's a retarded way to look at it when you consider Dak put up 31.5 points per game while being a "spinny onsides kick away from being 0-4 as a starter", and the defense gave up a ridiculous, nearly unprecedented 36.5 points per game.

Pretty much every QB on earth would have been a "spinny onsides kick away from being 0-4 as a starter" with that defense.
Yeah, Dak was in the bottom 2 on the list of reasons why we started the season so bad. The defense composed the entire top 10 on the list.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think you can reverse those two, but those are the biggest reasons.
Ok I’m
When Dak was here he was a spinny onsides kick away from being 0-4 as a starter
Are you putting the w/l record at the QBs feet? That’s an oversimplified way to analyze a team performance. No need to look at the rest of the positions just mark up the entire outcome to the QB and that’s the solution to a a championship.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you putting the w/l record at the QBs feet? That’s an oversimplified way to analyze a team performance. No need to look at the rest of the positions just mark up the entire outcome to the QB and that’s the solution to a a championship.
The Texans were 4-12 last year with Watson and a defense that gave up less points than ours. No one seems to claim he is at fault.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he falls to us we'd absolutely have to consider taking him, but no way in Hell do we burn draft/personnel capital to trade up
To me it's like buying a $10,000 faucet for your kitchen while the roof needs replaced and the foundation is cracking. Yes he would be awesome to have but useless if you don't fix the foundation and roof first.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
To me it's like buying a $10,000 faucet for your kitchen while the roof needs replaced and the foundation is cracking. Yes he would be awesome to have but useless if you don't fix the foundation and roof first.
Here comes Jerry with a tarp.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The draft is intended to be the primary tool for constructing a team in the first place, not patching it like a Frankenstein monster.

No single 2021 draft choice is going to fix our defense, there is no Vita Vea or Calais Campbell available.

Meanwhile you have a chance to keep the offense elite for a decade and fricking dominant in 2021. You can't dismiss the impact of elite play at TE as a "faucet". Elite TE's create mismatches and aren't fourth receiving option on what amounts to checkdowns like Schultz or Jarwin contribute.

An elite TE would really improve the team on 3rd down and in the redzone where we really sucked last year.

Gronk, Kelce, Kittle all played big roles in the last few Superbowl teams. It's no coincidence.

If one of them just falls to you, you have to consider.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Will suck if it comes down to a TE or CB as our 1st pick, but I'm prepared for disappointment.

Really shitty that there aren't more elite pressure players this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will suck if it comes down to a TE or CB as our 1st pick, but I'm prepared for disappointment.

Really shitty that there aren't more elite pressure players this year.
I'm ok with a corner but yeah I would much rather be drafting an elite DT and a corner in the second round. But I do see the appeal of trying to build a Legion of Boom type defense. I do think Surtain can fit that mold of a Richard Sherman type. Very similar skill sets actually.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm ok with a corner but yeah I would much rather be drafting an elite DT and a corner in the second round. But I do see the appeal of trying to build a Legion of Boom type defense. I do think Surtain can fit that mold of a Richard Sherman type. Very similar skill sets actually.
Legion of Boom was a unicorn that would be a mistake to try and reproduce. Sherman was just unique, and Chancellor and Thomas were fantastic. The biggest part of the fluke was Sherman and Chancellor being late round picks allowing the group to co exist under the cap for several years while young and learning from and helping each other.

But I do think a playoff secondary needs blue chip talent at one safety and one CB position to contend.

We'll be fine with another good CB, we don't need a great one, but a great Safety would make a huge difference.

For some reason, the architects of this team just ignored the middle of the defense.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Can we just try for an above average to elite free safety? For the love of all that is holy. I will take a good-great safety, DT. And LB. you can build around that with decent role players.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Can we just try for an above average to elite free safety? For the love of all that is holy. I will take a good-great safety, DT. And LB. you can build around that with decent role players.
Marcus Williams.

Instead of spending 10 million signing 5-6 Olawale's at 1.8 million each they could spend 10 million on one relevant player who's going to make an impact.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marcus Williams.

Instead of spending 10 million signing 5-6 Olawale's at 1.8 million each they could spend 10 million on one relevant player who's going to make an impact.
Yep, turds like Poe are beyond a waste of cap space. You can get zero impact from 4 Poe quality players or get one good starter. It's a no brainer to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yep, turds like Poe are beyond a waste of cap space. You can get zero impact from 4 Poe quality players or get one good starter. It's a no brainer to me.
Poe doesn't even upset me that much, aside from the fact that they generally refuse to sign anybody of consequence until day 3-4 of FA and usually only on basically 1 year deals. At least Poe was a legitimate player not too long ago who played a position of significant need.

What really annoys me is that they'll go out and sign Maurice Canady, Darian Thompson, Olawale, and CJ Goodwin to 1.7 million deals instead of taking that 6-7 million and signing a real contributor.

And I get the ST angle but I'd argue that actually filling gaping holes with legitimate talent is more important than peppering your roster with highly paid ST'ers who have no chance of starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom