2021 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That shot that Harbaugh took at Ryan Day about "being born on 3rd base and thinking he hit a triple" applies to Lincoln Riley as well.

We're about to see just how good Riley really is now that he has to do some heavy lifting/program building for a change. Bob Stoops left him the keys to a Lamborghini in 2016. OU was coming off a Sugar Bowl win and had Baker Mayfield at QB, CeeDee Lamb, Hollywood Brown, Mark Andrews, Kyler Murray, an OL featuring 4 NFL starters, and a stable of 4-star RBs. All Riley had to do was not crash the Lamborghini.

As I mentioned in my post last night, from 2017-2019 Oklahoma's offense could pretty much name their score. It didn't dawn on me until I heard someone mention it on the radio that those were Stoops' players and since the Stoops players left, there's been a steady decline in the offense.

I'm actually shocked he took Alex Grinch and the WR coach with him. Grinch is an avg at best DC. He just had the good fortune of being the replacement for one of the worst DC's in recent CFB history, Mike Stoops. Ohio State fans will attest to this. I vividly remember them laughing at Oklahoma fans for being excited about the Grinch hire because Ohio State had one of their worst defensive seasons in years during Grinch's 1 year at OSU.

And the WR coach (Dennis Simmons) hasn't been much better. The recruiting has been great but it hasn't translated on the field. 2019-present, Oklahoma has hit home runs bringing in multiple 5-star WRs.....in 2019 alone they brought in three 5-star WRs. To this day not a single one of the WRs has stepped up and become a consistent dominant force like we saw with WRs that were brought in under Stoops (CeeDee, Kenny Stills, Hollywood Brown, Dede Westbrook, etc).

So I just don't get why Lincoln would want to bring along guys like that, other than just for the sake of familiarity and continuity.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
This isn't real is it?

I already know college football is quite gross but this would be ridiculous.
Yeah it's real. This morning I heard well connected guys mention that USC was paying for his home in LA. I didn't know about the homes in Norman, it doesn't shock me. These schools are basically printing money and always have. But don't you dare give an athlete a dollar or that's your ass.

midswat

... soon
Not gonna lie…. And not just a shot at you @1bigfan13 because it’s all over Twitter too…. It’s kind of funny the Oklahoma fans shitting on what Lincoln Riley has accomplished.

I mean, look at what he’s done.

How many coaches can compare?

Sometimes you don’t realize what you have until it’s gone. Ans you don’t appreciate how hard it is to find a coach worth a shit until you need one.

Im just saying - back in the mid-2000s I was so ready for Phil Fulmer to move on. And even to this day I feel like he under achieved considering the amount of talent he did bring in. I had no idea I was going to have to endure 15 years plus of dysfunction.

Not saying you’ll endure the same - but Lincoln has been a perennial 10+ win a season coach, recruiting gangbusters, and getting to the CfB playoffs regularly.

Good luck trying to find a guy who can duplicate that.

midswat

... soon
If I’m Oklahoma I’m hiring Mark Stoops. What he has done at lifetime dumpster fire Kentucky is crazy.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Is Riley ever gonna get serious about defense or does he plan to win shootout after shootout at USC?

Cujo

DCC 4Life
It's amazing what these schools are willing to pay for coaches who've never won a CFB championship. If Lincoln Riley is worth that, I'd love to know what Saban or Dabo are worth on the open market.

One thing to remember, he is taking over a team that is 4-7 and not a perennial top 10 squad like Stoops left him. There is real work there to do. Maybe he gets it done but with that type of contract, if they aren't showing improvement pretty quickly, the pressure will be enormous.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
That shot that Harbaugh took at Ryan Day about "starting on 3rd base and thinking he hit a triple" applies to Lincoln Riley as well.

We're about to see just how good Riley really is now that he has to do some heavy lifting/program building for a change. Bob Stoops left him the keys to a Lamborghini when in 2016. OU was coming off a Sugar Bowl win and had Baker Mayfield at QB, CeeDee Lamb, Hollywood Brown, Mark Andrews, Kyler Murray, an OL featuring 4 NFL starters, and a stable of 4-star RBs. All Riley had to do was not crash the Lamborghini.

As I mentioned in my post last night, from 2017-2019 Oklahoma's offense could pretty much name their score. It didn't dawn on me until I heard someone mention it on the radio that those were Stoops' players and since the Stoops players left, there's been a steady decline in the offense.

I'm actually shocked he took Alex Grinch and the WR coach with him. Grinch is an avg at best DC. He just had the good fortune of being the replacement for one of the worst DC's in recent CFB history, Mike Stoops. Ohio State fans will attest to this. I vividly remember them laughing at Oklahoma fans for being excited about the Grinch hire because Ohio State had one of their worst defenses seasons in years during Grinch's 1 year at OSU.

And the WR coach (Dennis Simmons) hasn't been much better. The recruiting has been great but it hasn't translated on the field. 2019-present, Oklahoma has hit home runs bringing in multiple 5-star WRs.....in 2019 alone they brought in three 5-star at WRs. To this day not a single one of the WRs has stepped up and become a consistent dominant force like we saw with WRs that were brought in under Stoops (CeeDee, Kenny Stills, Hollywood Brown, Dede Westbrook, etc).

So I just don't get why Lincoln would want to bring along guys like that, other than just for the sake of familiarity and continuity.

Much more eloquently put. Saw this after my previous post

1bigfan13

Staff member
Not gonna lie…. And not just a shot at you @1bigfan13 because it’s all over Twitter too…. It’s kind of funny the Oklahoma fans shitting on what Lincoln Riley has accomplished.

I mean, look at what he’s done.

How many coaches can compare?

Sometimes you don’t realize what you have until it’s gone. Ans you don’t appreciate how hard it is to find a coach worth a shit until you need one.

Im just saying - back in the mid-2000s I was so ready for Phil Fulmer to move on. And even to this day I feel like he under achieved considering the amount of talent he did bring in. I had no idea I was going to have to endure 15 years plus of dysfunction.

Not saying you’ll endure the same - but Lincoln has been a perennial 10+ win a season coach, recruiting gangbusters, and getting to the CfB playoffs regularly.

Good luck trying to find a guy who can duplicate that.
I've been souring on Lincoln Riley for the last year or two. The receipts are in this thread. I even said so as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I can't speak for others but there are no sour grapes on my part.

The only thing that concerns me is recruits are backing out and some current players are bailing. But I think that'll be remedied once a new coach is named.

I still like Oklahoma's future over the next 3-5 years over USC's.

1bigfan13

Staff member
If I’m Oklahoma I’m hiring Mark Stoops. What he has done at lifetime dumpster fire Kentucky is crazy.
No way would I leave Kentucky if I'm Mark Stoops.

I heard someone explain how Kentucky is one of the better jobs in America, and I after he explained his take, I agreed with him.

This was his reasoning:

- Kentucky's in the SEC so they're getting SEC money and publicity.

- Mark Stoops is already one of the highest paid coaches in the country, pulling in over $5M per year

- Kentucky's a basketball school so the fans are grateful for 8-win seasons. You get pay raises and contract extensions for winning 8 games at Kentucky. Whereas if he were to go to a program like Oklahoma, those 8 win seasons would get him fired within 5 seasons.

Personally, I'd never leave a setup like that.

midswat

... soon
I've been souring on Lincoln Riley for the last year or two. The receipts are in this thread. I even said so as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I can't speak for others but there are no sour grapes on my part.

The only thing that concerns me is recruits are backing out and some current players are bailing. But I think that'll be remedied once a new coach is named.

I still like Oklahoma's future over the next 3-5 years over USC's.
Fair - but my point still stands. You’ll be hard pressed to find a coach capable of matching his accomplishments.

Tennessee hasn’t been able to replace Fulmer. Florida hasn’t been able to replace Urban. USC hasn’t been able to replace Pete Carrol. Texas hasn’t been able to replace Mack. Etc etc etc

Good coaches aren’t easy to come by.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Didn’t he get serious with the hiring of Grinch?
From my earlier post:

I'm actually shocked he took Alex Grinch and the WR coach with him. Grinch is an avg at best DC. He just had the good fortune of being the replacement for one of the worst DC's in recent CFB history, Mike Stoops. Ohio State fans will attest to this. I vividly remember them laughing at Oklahoma fans for being excited about the Grinch hire because Ohio State had one of their worst defensive seasons in years during Grinch's 1 year at OSU.
I think he's settling with Grinch. Grinch is okay but definitely not an elite defensive coordinator.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Fair - but my point still stands. You’ll be hard pressed to find a coach capable of matching his accomplishments.

Tennessee hasn’t been able to replace Fulmer. Florida hasn’t been able to replace Urban. USC hasn’t been able to replace Pete Carrol. Texas hasn’t been able to replace Mack. Etc etc etc

I agree. Finding replacements for successful coaches is always tricky.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No need to get overly concerned with Oklahoma. They have managed to be in the forefront of college football for a long long time. No reason they will fold up with this transition. There have been a few hiring slumps in the past but they were rectified in short time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah there is definitely a risk in it. I think we all thought of USC like that not too long ago. They basically could pull any talent they wanted and roll to a great record. Going back even further I remember when Florida State was a powerhouse and basically unstoppable.

I've thought about this with Kirk Ferentz at Iowa too. At times he frustrates the hell out of me. But he still wins 8-10 games a year consistently. You move on and it's a legit possibility that you turn into Illinois and many other bottom dweller Big 10 teams.

None of this is to say Oklahoma can't get this right. But the grass isn't always greener on the other side and shit can spiral faster than you realize.

1bigfan13

Staff member
LSU is hiring Brian Kelley away from Notre Dame.

Wow!

1bigfan13

Staff member
The timing doesn't make sense on this one. Notre Dame still has a chance to make the CFB playoffs.

Why pass up a chance at a title this year to go rebuild LSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom