2021 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No damn way he leaves the success he has had with the Cardinals. Less work recruiting, more money with Cards. No damn way.
The college game pays better than the NFL these days it seems.

That would be the most Tech thing ever though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The college game pays better than the NFL these days it seems.

That would be the most Tech thing ever though.
If he gets a second contract with the Cardinals, which he probably will, he will most likely make more money than any college will pay him. Plus he doesn't have to jack with recruiting.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If he gets a second contract with the Cardinals, which he probably will, he will most likely make more money than any college will pay him. Plus he doesn't have to jack with recruiting.
I don’t think it is realistic but not out the realm of possibility.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I’m sure this is simply agent talk here. He’s pumping up that raise!

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'd rather Oklahoma go the route that Florida just went with their Napier hire. Get a younger up and comer rather than some recycled retread.

As for Lincoln Riley, I won't shed any tears for his departure. As I said before, I believed he had already peaked at Oklahoma and we've seen the best that he had to offer.

The last few seasons the cracks were really starting to show. From 2015-2018, Oklahoma's offenses could name their score during that timeframe. But from 2019-present, the offense wasn't near as sharp or explosive. He struggled a lot more with in-game adjustments, which led to a lot of blown double-digit leads. Kinda like what we saw Saturday night where the Oklahoma O got completely shutdown in the 2nd half. That's happened several times over the last couple of years.

This isn't bitterness on my part. The man got rid of Mike Stoops. Therefore he's a made man in my books.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I'd rather Oklahoma go the route that Florida just went with their Napier hire. Get a younger up and comer rather than some recycled retread.

As for Lincoln Riley, I won't shed any tears for his departure. As I said before, I believed he had already peaked at Oklahoma and we've seen the best that he had to offer.

The last few seasons the cracks were really starting to show. From 2015-2018, Oklahoma's offenses could name their score during that timeframe. But from 2019-present, the offense wasn't near as sharp or explosive. He struggled a lot more with in-game adjustments, which led to a lot of blown double-digit leads. Kinda like what we saw Saturday night where the Oklahoma O got completely shutdown in the 2nd half. That's happened several times over the last couple of years.

This isn't bitterness on my part. The man got rid of Mike Stoops. Therefore he's a made man in my books.

I was curious to hear your take. When you say "up and comer," is there anyone in mind you're hoping we go after?

midswat

... soon

Oklahoma raided Tennessee kids from the portal this last year so I’m okay with this.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

His schemes are honestly a bit simplistic, and at this point possible stale. I think he was ahead of the curve and really innovative around the middle of the last decade but as soon as you put all that on film other teams will catch up and copy you and you'll have to iterate and evolve again.

I watched a good bit of their all-22 when we drafted Lamb and he was bandied about as a possible Garrett replacement and for the most part I wasn't overly impressed.

1bigfan13

Staff member
His schemes are honestly a bit simplistic, and at this point possible stale. I think he was ahead of the curve and really innovative around the middle of the last decade but as soon as you put all that on film other teams will catch up and copy you and you'll have to iterate and evolve again.
Before any of this was even a story, my dad and I were having this discussion Saturday night while we watched the Bedlam game. Opponents have caught up to him and he hasn't adjusted well.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I was curious to hear your take. When you say "up and comer," is there anyone in mind you're hoping we go after?
I honestly don't know have anyone specific in mind. I'd have to look around and see who meets the criteria

One guy who is kind of, sort of a retread who I wouldn't mind seeing them hire is Brent Venables. I'm sure you've probably seen that his name has been thrown around the most as a possible replacement.

He's never been a HC but he has ties to the program, is a championship caliber DC, and is still "only" 50 years old. Which means if he's hired and has success, he could easily coach 10-15 years before getting burned out.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It's amazing what these schools are willing to pay for coaches who've never won a CFB championship. If Lincoln Riley is worth that, I'd love to know what Saban or Dabo are worth on the open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom